Pages: 1
tjensen
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/16/05

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
need help with flash load
      #5691671 - 02/20/13 08:12 PM

Hi all.

I just received a used Nexstar hand controller to replace my malfunctioning unit on my CGE. The replacement unit has been loaded with Planewave software. I need to overwrite this with the Celestron software, but the HCUpdate software (v 1.1.12) doesn't recognize the hand unit. I've been told I need to bypass the normal HCUpdate and "flash load" the software.

Any idea how to do this?

Thanks
Tim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gtstricky
journeyman

Reged: 01/30/13

Re: need help with flash load new [Re: tjensen]
      #5692077 - 02/21/13 01:00 AM

Have not found a real answer but did you follow this step?

"Keep the power to the telescope off. Hold down the INFO and UNDO buttons simultaneously. Turn on the power to the mount while still holding the buttons. Upon power up, release the buttons once you see the Initializing message. You will then see a Transmit Data message. Your hand control is now ready to be programmed using the HCupdate program you installed earlier."

Edited by gtstricky (02/21/13 01:03 AM)

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: need help with flash load new [Re: gtstricky]
      #5692264 - 02/21/13 07:03 AM

Hi Tim:

I was under the impression that the normal handset update was referred to as "flash loading".

I would take it up with the previous owner. A handset without the proper software is not really a "Nexstar" handset regardless of what it says on the outside. If he sold it to you as a Nexstar handset, he should either provide instructions on how to load the right software, or he should take it back and refund your money.

-Dan

tjensen
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/16/05

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Re: need help with flash load new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5692271 - 02/21/13 07:14 AM

Hi Guys
Thanks.
GT: Yes, I did set the hand unit into the programming mode (ie, "transmit data"). and tested the set up with my old hand unit. All was well.
Dan: I got the unit from Dr. Clay. He told me that it was loaded with the Planewave software and that I would need to overwrite it. I figured that I could do it with the normal HCUpdate software. But it looks like it doesn't recognize the handunit.
I think what I need to do is basically a "low level format" of the hand unit. I think the HCUpdate software is looking for something (like a previous firmware load) and since it doesn't find one, it thinks there is no connection.
I'll keep digging
Cheers

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 328

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics