Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Getting a POD
      #5694427 - 02/22/13 10:52 AM

After nearly a year of thought, sober second thought and more I have decided on a Sky Shed Pod with 2 bays for my backyard urban observatory.

It will house my TEC 8" Mak on the AP Mach 1 and Losmandy HD tripod. I will concentrate on double stars and planetary videos and viewing as my backyard is only 12 miles from the center of Toronto and has a NELM of about 3.5 - 4.0.

I will only be living here for another two years and then I will be moving so I want an observatory I can take with me or sell, depending... This temporary status is why I'm not bothering with a pier as well. The temporary nature of my plan also avoids permits and inspectors.....

I will be raising the Pod up on one layer of 8" building blocks and bolting it down somehow and would like to hear back from folks who have done this sort of thing with their pods. I need to have the POD be a bit higher than the stock height as I am 6'6".

The inside floor will be patio blocks over compacted gravel with those 2'x2' foam interlock pads on top.

One of my needs is to be able to remove all sign of the observatory upon the sale of the house in 2015.....

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: Cotts]
      #5694445 - 02/22/13 11:00 AM

David, congrat's! Sounds like a solid design. Can't wait to see it finished.

I would imagine it's fairly easy to sink so anchors into the ground to hold your observatory. But, I'll let someone who owns a 'pod chime up.

Escher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/30/07

Loc: Fenton, MI
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: Raginar]
      #5695039 - 02/22/13 03:54 PM

Cotts,

I know you said you want to raise yours - but you really dont even need that much ground prep as you are planning - especially for a temp setup.

I just plopped my POD right on the grass and then build a circular deck inside with pea gravel under the decking. Pea gravel all around the outside and I'm dry as a bone all the time.

I used 12" galvanized spikes to anchor the pod to the ground via the bolt holes...

I'm 6'1, and while its a bit low, its not terrible getting in and out - inside height is fine with a lot of headroom.

Edited by Escher (02/22/13 03:59 PM)

bogg
sage

Reged: 11/17/09

Loc: Bruce County Ontario
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: Escher]
      #5697913 - 02/24/13 09:07 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

I have a POD and like you was looking at a temporary setup. I decided to go with a "temporary pier that could be broken up when we decide to move. I dug a hole down 3 to 4 feet. and made a 8 inch concrete pier. Maybe not the most stable but significantly better than a tripod. I built a small raised deck ( under the size needed for a permit ) to allow me to view over my house. It has worked well for me so far. Really glad I have the POD.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5697932 - 02/24/13 09:28 AM

Dave, Congratulations on your future POD! You will wonder how you managed, before an observatory!

Of course we want to follow the setup with pictures!

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5703094 - 02/27/13 09:09 AM

I used 12" carriage bolts to secure mine to the ground through a tarp then grass. Hasn't moved since and we have had up to 110kpg winds.

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: Escher]
      #5703298 - 02/27/13 11:15 AM

Thanks to all for the encouraging replies. I still need to raise the Pod about 6"-8" for my own comfort upon entry and while being inside. Raising the interior floor is the last thing I would do. I'm going to start another thread on this specific topic to try to get a wider variety of responses specific to the raised base issue.

Thanks,

Dave

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
      #5705116 - 02/28/13 11:10 AM

Make sure you can get in and out of the POD easily. You can raise it all you want but the door size is the same.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: gillmj24]
      #5705151 - 02/28/13 11:31 AM

True, the door doesn't change but I find it's quite a bit easier to enter and exit a pod if you are starting below the normal level of the door. I put a POD on a raised platform and the top step is about 8" below the normal floor level. It's quite a bit easier ducking under the door frame from that step.

I'm 6' 2" and have a bad back (some limitations in my flexibility) and a normally positioned POD can be a bit of pain when entering and exiting.

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5705471 - 02/28/13 02:44 PM

Once, I suggested a top hinge above the door so that once you ducked and got the POD dome open, you wouldn't have to duck your way in and out again - you could just flip up the top of the door frame (like a bar table) and walk straight out. Too complicated and expensive for them to implement. And I don't care to mess up my POD door to experiment either

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Getting a POD new [Re: gillmj24]
      #5706445 - 03/01/13 12:01 AM

I've wondered about that same type of change to the design, multiple times and usually after bumping my head on a friend's POD.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 872

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics