Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Hyperstar Imaging
      #5695352 - 02/22/13 06:31 PM Attachment (370 downloads)

I wanted to start a thread on this forum dedicated to the Fastar/Hyperstar imaging systems. I have had my Hyperstar 9.25" setup for about a year and have loved using it, not that it has been without its headaches.

Although the system is touted as not requiring guidance or even alignment, personally I have had much more satisfying results with a well-ordered equatorial mount and autoguiding. The guys at Starizona are very helpful with the learning curve in any case.

If there's anyone else out there with this equipment (or contemplating it) who'd like to share their experiences/images, please do so!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: milby]
      #5695392 - 02/22/13 06:57 PM

Hi Milby,

I don't have a Hyperstar compatible 'scope in my ol' Nexstar 8i, but I love the work yours is producing !

I hope you find some CN colleagues with whom you can exchange ideas in this respect !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Tel]
      #5695440 - 02/22/13 07:24 PM

Milby your images are awe inspiring. I would love to go with the Hyperstar set up on my C8 but it wont work with my dslr. I've been contemplating going with a bigger scope but now Celestron only offers hyperstar on its Edge line. So now my quest is to find an alternative either a used c11 w/ hyperstar or a ccd camera for the c8. How dark are you skies in Indiana? With the amount of LP in the city does hyperstar make sense? I only get to a dark site 1-2 times a year.

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5696658 - 02/23/13 01:54 PM Attachment (175 downloads)

Thanks, Tel!

James, do you mean your C8 is Fastar-ready but the DSLR is too large for the light path? That can be a problem and is one reason I'm using the SXV camera, which is cylindrical and smaller in diameter than the secondary mirror.

I think one of the advantages of the Hyperstar is its utility under light polluted skies. I'm sure yours are worse in Queens than mine here, but I do have some LP. With 30 second subs I suspect it won't be a problem for you - I can image galaxies under a full moon, after all.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5696751 - 02/23/13 02:45 PM

Yes, Milby, my c8 is fast star ready. I have no clue on which camera to buy. What features are critical and which just optomize performance and ease of use. I already have the same guider you are using, but have yet to try it out. Time and weather are my limiting factors.

As far as LP and a full moon, I've tried to photograph using a 50mm fast camera lens F/2 and at 15 second exposures it really washed out the sky. With a full moon under dark skies the terestrial background was fully illuminated but the sky was dark.

milby

#5697073 - 02/23/13 06:27 PM

The advantages of this Starlight camera are the size/shape as noted and the fact that it's one shot color. Filter wheels would get in the way of the light path. Starizona does have a new filter drawer for the Hyperstar which makes RGB a little more reasonable consideration. Filters otherwise screw into the camera adapter. I do some HA imaging and the drawer will make this easier to switch into and out of.

Scott from Starizona put up some pics taken under significant LP here: http://www.hyperstarimaging.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=174&cat=2

Thanatos78621

Reged: 05/09/12

Loc: Elgin, TX
      #5697164 - 02/23/13 07:37 PM

Milby, nice camera rig on the telescope...and a nice 308 in the garage. GTB or GTS?

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: Thanatos78621]
      #5697479 - 02/23/13 10:28 PM

Good eye! '82 308 gtsi

Thanatos78621

#5697776 - 02/24/13 04:35 AM

Ahh, last year before the switch to the QV engine. I love the 308GTS (Thanks to watching too much Magnum PI as a kid) but I lean a bit to Dino 308 GT/4. Missed out on buying a '74 GT/4 because the seller took my deposit and then sold the car to someone else.

milby

#5698051 - 02/24/13 10:56 AM

You may wanna grab a GT4 while you can. They've been treated unfairly over the years - like the 246 Dino was - and look how expensive the 246's are these days. I would think you'd have a lawsuit against that seller, btw.

Thanatos78621

#5698596 - 02/24/13 05:01 PM

They have been going up in value for sure. I got my deposit back from him so I let it slide. I'm now leaning towards a '00 360 Modena if I go Ferrari when I get ready to buy. Otherwise, I've been the'06 Aston Vantage for my next toy purchase in a few years.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5698987 - 02/24/13 09:56 PM

Yeah that's a really nice rig you have but just the camera and hyperstar lens alone are going to set me back $2600. Maybe if I had more time to devote to this endevor, I'd consider it. I think I will continue to dream and keep learning on my simple dslr prime focus set up. Keep posting those awesome images !

milby

#5699098 - 02/24/13 11:14 PM

James, time is a major issue with me as well - busy job and a 7-month-old! F2 defnitely has that advantage. Give the Starizona guys a call and see what they think about your DSLR and the HStar/C8.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #5699380 - 02/25/13 07:52 AM

I have often been tempted to go the hyperstar route, but I have been discouraged by horror stories of impossible collimation. What has been your experience with this?

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5699594 - 02/25/13 10:29 AM Attachment (90 downloads)

Collimation has not been a problem for me. The new Hyperstars have three sets of push-pull screws for this, but my system is in best collimation with the unit set flush, as it came "out of the box."

The other screws are to allow rotation of the lens for framing.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
      #5699779 - 02/25/13 12:31 PM

I am intrigued by the filter drawer that was just released for the hyperstar. I could imagine being able to rip through LRGB/HA/OIII in an evening at f/2 using a low noise TEC CCD!

Correct me if I am wrong, the Edge HD just helps with mirror flop in the hyperstar configuration, yes?

Best,

George

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging new [Re: ghataa]
      #5699908 - 02/25/13 02:05 PM

It's my understanding that the Edge HD flat field optics have no impact on Hyperstar vis a vis the older Celestrons, if that's what you mean.

Since you have to focus from primary mirror movement, locking the mirror isn't advised.

milby

Re: Hyperstar Imaging [Re: milby]
      #5703630 - 02/27/13 02:38 PM Attachment (201 downloads)

Speaking of focusing, I use a microtouch system with focusmax. More than half the time I actually focus things visually (that is with sequential exposures, monitoring the changes on screen) rather than using the focusmax automatic feature, because I like to be sure the entire starfield is in focus (i.e., the collimation is still true). BTW, Focusmax works nicely as a telescope hub via ASCOM.

Starizona says mirror shift is "not a problem" because removal of the secondary greatly diminishes the effect, but there is still detectable shift.

This M51 is comprised of 20 subs of 40 seconds each. Processed with Maxim DL and PixInsight

Edited by milby (02/27/13 02:45 PM)

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
Re: Hyperstar Imaging [Re: milby]
      #5703680 - 02/27/13 03:05 PM

Oh man, you got me really wanting to go HS. CFO will object, but wow!

Doug Michel
sage

Reged: 09/18/11

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Re: Hyperstar Imaging [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5703867 - 02/27/13 05:13 PM

Holy *BLEEP* that is awesome!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9172

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics