Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: Oregon USA
Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT!
      #5695520 - 02/22/13 08:03 PM Attachment (51 downloads)

I'm very happy to report my genuine copy of Craig Crossen's Sky Vistas arrived this afternoon!!!

I ordered it through Biblio.com and originally it was to come from Cold Books in NY but instead it arrived by DHL from another "B.P. Agency" in New Delhi, India! WOW!
It arrived in great condition double-wrapped in bubble wrap and then over-wrapped in cardboard and taped up very well. The book is new with the shiny dust jacket and was shrink-wrapped. It has the red end papers on front and back covers, a sewn binding, and glossy pages throughout. The ISBN numbers are different from the front book cover and back cover (back dust jacket ISBN # matches back book cover). The book is heavy and the ship wt. given on the form is 1.70kg. I paid $83.04 USD for it through Biblio. I'm extremely pleased!!!

Here's some pics...I hope they will aid others in finding true copies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5695523 - 02/22/13 08:04 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

another...

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

#5695527 - 02/22/13 08:05 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

.....inside cover

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

#5695534 - 02/22/13 08:06 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

....back cover

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5695541 - 02/22/13 08:09 PM

Great news as I ordered from the same store. It will be interesting to see where mine shipped from. It should be here any day now. Funny coincidence, my wife is headed to New Delhi tomorrow.

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5695548 - 02/22/13 08:13 PM

Incredible! I hope you get the genuine copy too. Best wishes for your wife's trip -- I've always been very interested in India!
---Maya

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#5695565 - 02/22/13 08:23 PM

Nice one.. Congrats!!

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5695578 - 02/22/13 08:34 PM

Thanks!! I have to say also it really is a magnificent book -- just stunning -- and I'm thrilled to have it to enjoy.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#5695989 - 02/23/13 02:21 AM

Glad to hear this. It's simply an incredible book.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5696259 - 02/23/13 09:53 AM

Way to go, and thanks for posting the pics. This should help people get the right version. It's just an outstanding work. Nothing else quite like it.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: turtle86]
      #5696371 - 02/23/13 11:05 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

Congratulations on locating a fine original copy Maya! This has been a lesson for print on demand issues for me.

I highly recommend you consider putting book jacket covers on your books. I am able to buy them at a local used book store easily. If you can't find them locally, they can be ordered.
Example Here

You choose a size that is the same as your book dimension or larger. The inside paper liner of the jacket can be cut and fitted to any smaller size. So if you buy several, they can be cut down to fit smaller books.

The covers preserve the book jackets integrity for UV and humidity degradation. They also prevent handling damage. They will preserve and increase the value of your investment. The used book store employees told me that when book jacketed books have a completely different resale value. Even jacketed used library books can be purchased with greater confidence.

I took my book out of its 12" refitted book cover + dust jacket for this photo. Walter Scott Houston's Deep Sky Wonders and other fine old books of mine seem to have new life and look with the book jacket covers.

Edited by rookie (02/23/13 11:15 AM)

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: rookie]
      #5696806 - 02/23/13 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone. I spent the evening last night (it's been raining here) reading this fine book and admiring the gorgeous photos -- it's just such a wonderful book, very high quality printing and thick glossy paper, loaded with great information! I will be using it the rest of my life (like Burnam's set I have in hardback). I won't be writing notes in this book though, it's simply too nice!

Thanks so much, rookie, for the link to the book covers. That's a terrific idea! I will definitely be getting those for this book and many other favorite books.
---Maya

rockethead26
Post Laureate

#5696865 - 02/23/13 03:49 PM

Maya,

Do you live on one of our coasts or in the middle of the country? Just curious to see when I should expect mine. I was hoping for today, but I don't think DHL delivers on Saturday. I ordered a few hours before you did, so it should be close.

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5696908 - 02/23/13 04:09 PM

Jim, I live in Coos Bay/North Bend region, on the (very rainy) Oregon coast. I was surprised to receive my book as soon as I did, especially considering where it came from! I received an email confirmation from Biblio that my book had been shipped but there was no mention that it wasn't coming directly from Cold Books in NY. I had written in the comments box on the order form that I wanted the first edition with the red end papers and glossy pages...it seems they really took notice of that and put in the effort to send the correct copy. I'm impressed!
You ought to have your copy by Monday I would think.
---Maya

rockethead26
Post Laureate

#5696929 - 02/23/13 04:28 PM

Thanks, Maya. Fingers crossed for Monday or Tuesday.

Crossen

Reged: 07/14/08

Loc: Vienna
      #5697052 - 02/23/13 06:06 PM

Quote:

I'm very happy to report my genuine copy of Craig Crossen's Sky Vistas arrived this afternoon!!!

I ordered it through Biblio.com and originally it was to come from Cold Books in NY but instead it arrived by DHL from another "B.P. Agency" in New Delhi, India! WOW!
It arrived in great condition double-wrapped in bubble wrap and then over-wrapped in cardboard and taped up very well. The book is new with the shiny dust jacket and was shrink-wrapped. It has the red end papers on front and back covers, a sewn binding, and glossy pages throughout. The ISBN numbers are different from the front book cover and back cover (back dust jacket ISBN # matches back book cover). The book is heavy and the ship wt. given on the form is 1.70kg. I paid $83.04 USD for it through Biblio.

The five copies I received immediately after printing in the late autumn of 2003 were also shrink-wrapped, though I can't say for sure that all copies printed at that time were shrink-wrapped.

It's not totally surprising that you received a mint copy from New Delhi because Springer-Verlag has a major marketing and distribution office there and presumably after printing copies were sent to every Springer distribution center. Seems strange, though, that a New York book-seller would have to send all the way to New Delhi for a mint copy! I would think that Springer's New York facility still has some.

Anyway, you obviously got a terrific price on it, especially considering how much shipping costs on a book that weights 1.7 kg. Thanks for the report.

Craig Crossen

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: Crossen]
      #5697102 - 02/23/13 06:45 PM

Thanks for that information, Craig, and for this wonderful and useful book you and Mr. Rhemann have produced. It was certainly a surprise to me that it came from New Delhi, but you have explained it. The shipping charge to me was $3.50. I was very happy with the ad price on the book ($79.54) as I have seen other copies (unknown if genuine) for up to $140! I had originally checked on copies at Amazon and there was no mention of their books being "print on demand" versions. The prices put me off, I'm lucky I waited to find other sellers! I will be very careful with any orders from them after all this regarding their POD books.
---Maya

Levine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: 40° 47' 52" N / 85° 49' 14" ...
      #5697223 - 02/23/13 08:13 PM

+1

Genuine/mint from Alibris: $68.41 shipped.

Crow Haven
Pooh-Bah

Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! new [Re: Levine]
      #5697261 - 02/23/13 08:33 PM

Good one!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Genuine copy - Sky Vistas by C. Crossen - GOT IT! [Re: Crow Haven]
      #5697567 - 02/23/13 11:28 PM

It's a wonderful book. I was using mine last weekend with a pair of new to me (1983) CZJ 7x50 binoculars. Very inspiring work.

- Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2503

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics