Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
AlaskaIsCold

Reged: 11/16/11

Loc: San Diego, CA
An odd Question but I wanted to ask anyways. new
      #5692030 - 02/21/13 12:07 AM

Hiya!

So My name is Christopher and I am a photographer. that is to say that while I don't make my living doing photography I enjoy working in the darkroom doing primarily alternative processes.

Yeah so this brings me to my question/request. I was trying to look online for very very old images of comets those that are done using the Platinum Process or the Daguerreotype process. After a few days of searching it turns out that there are none.

I was wondering if anybody here that lives in the southern hemisphere has a Large format, or Medium Format, or 35mm Format black and white negative of Comet McNaught at its greatest and most impressive. Or if not, an ultra high resolution Tiff so that I can make a digital negative out of it.

I want to do 11x14 Platinum Process or an 8x10 Daguerreotype of comet McNaught. Some that that will last for centuries if not millenia. And if you let me use the image I can create a second one and send it since it is your source image after all.

I wish I could of taken an image of McNaught myself but it was a southern hemisphere comet and im about as far from there as I can get (Alaska). Anyways. if anyone has comments or alternative ideas, let me know!

(Also Posted in the digital astrophotography section)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
Re: An odd Question but I wanted to ask anyways. new [Re: AlaskaIsCold]
      #5692204 - 02/21/13 05:26 AM

This might help you.

AlaskaIsCold

Re: An odd Question but I wanted to ask anyways. new [Re: Michal1]
      #5692208 - 02/21/13 05:36 AM

Awesome! Hmm... actually that was done using a collodion plate. If my memory serves me correctly That is a process that is around two generation more recent than the Daguerreotype.

I think it went Daguerreotype -> Wet Plate -> Dry Plate

Platinum processing and kallitypes are kinda like an offshoot that happened in the 1890s I believe.

Michal1
sage

#5692218 - 02/21/13 05:55 AM

You can find more on the beginnings of astrophotography in J.B Hernshaw's book The measurement of stralight, page 113:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Kp7G4IqK7woC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepa...

AlaskaIsCold

#5692479 - 02/21/13 10:25 AM

... Im confused...

Jeff Phinney

Reged: 02/20/13

Loc: CA
      #5695422 - 02/22/13 07:15 PM

Actually Christopher, I'd be very surprised if a Daguerreotype of any comets existed. The amount of light available from the average comet is far to weak to render any sort of image using that process. and any astronomical images as such that I'm aware of are of the Moon.

AlaskaIsCold

Re: An odd Question but I wanted to ask anyways. new [Re: Jeff Phinney]
      #5695675 - 02/22/13 09:26 PM

Yeah actually the one daguerreotype I was able to find was of the moon in about 1851. For this process I was going to go create a digital negative (if a digital source) or use the negative I was lent, then create a positive using ortholitho film, then I was going to do contact printing. making it so that I can get true daguerreotype!

What do you think?

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: An odd Question but I wanted to ask anyways. [Re: AlaskaIsCold]
      #5695687 - 02/22/13 09:36 PM

Daguerreotypes were far too insensitive to photograph comets. With the available telescopes and clock drives of the day, there would be no way for an astronomer to get a good image. They were doing good to get an image of the moon, and photographing the Sun with the Daguerrotype process was of course relatively easy. I suppose your idea of contact printing would be feasible, if you can use sunlight or any other source of light high in UV, violet and blue light, daguerreotypes were blind to the rest of the visible spectrum. The wet collodian process was much more sensitive to light than a plate that was plated with silver, then exposed to vapors of bromine and iodine to sensitize it. The exposure was made immediately before the plate was exposed to vapors of mercury to develop it. That was an extremely dangerous aspect of this process, the fumes if inhaled often with repeated exposure caused severe brain damage and death. After expoure to mercury vapor, the plate was treated in a conventional sodium thiosulfate based fixer, then the plate was washed to yield a permanent image. You probably couldn't get the chemicals to do this process, and it's very difficult to do. Unless you are someone who has a chemist background or is trained how to work safely with these chemicals, I advise against Daguerrotypes. The platinum process would be my choice, the image quality of a platinum print I looked at in a museum was amazing.

Taras

Michal1
sage

Re: An odd Question but I wanted to ask anyways. new [Re: Achernar]
      #5696149 - 02/23/13 08:07 AM

If you are searching for a digital photo of a comet, you should specify your requirements - size, bit depth, color, etc. I'm sure Google can find something.

AlaskaIsCold

#5697841 - 02/24/13 06:50 AM

I know I could use google to just "take" an image, but I figured I could talk to the photographer that captured it and get his creative input you know? And when I am about to use an image I prefer to get permission before I use it you know?

Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/20/07

#5697846 - 02/24/13 07:25 AM

You might want to PM Brendan, a fellow New England astrophotographer registered here as M111. He is heavily involved in traditional / alternative processes. He also maintains a Flickr page and can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmd/

Good luck.

AlaskaIsCold

Re: An odd Question but I wanted to ask anyways. new [Re: Nightfly]
      #5699252 - 02/25/13 02:33 AM

Woah
He does platinotype processing!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 741

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics