Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5477283 - 10/18/12 03:52 PM

Here's what I did. Install a wide trim board to cover that gap, and mount it to the top of the walls only. Put a long rubber or foam strip near the top of the trim board facing the gable.

Next install a long piece of metal eave drip to the gable so it's just above the trim board. Bend the eave drip down little so the part sticking out angles down a little. Now you have both an air seal, and rain diverter!

When the roof is now pushed shut it will butt against the wall mounted wood trim, and the eave drip will overhang the trim, diverting rain around it!

Edited by Wmacky (10/18/12 04:00 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David81
sage

Reged: 05/17/10

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: Wmacky]
      #5477329 - 10/18/12 04:16 PM

Quote:

Here's what I did. Install a wide trim board to cover that gap, and mount it to the top of the walls only. Put a long rubber or foam strip near the top of the trim board facing the gable.

Next install a long piece of metal eave drip to the gable so it's just above the trim board. Bend the eave drip down little so the part sticking out angles down a little. Now you have both an air seal, and rain diverter!

When the roof is now pushed shut it will butt against the wall mounted wood trim, and the eave drip will overhang the trim, diverting rain around it!

I did something very similar on mine.

1x6 treated trim board fastened to the lower walls. 2x4 treated board fastened to the gable end with about 1/8" - 1/4" gap. Aluminum drip apron above the 2x4 and under the siding on the gable end.

Rubber weather seal will eventually be added on the inner side of the 1x6 and the lower edge of the 2x4.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: David81]
      #5477356 - 10/18/12 04:38 PM

Got it! Great idea wmacky! Thank you!

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5480732 - 10/20/12 05:32 PM

A question about roof weight.

The plans I used called for a metal roof. My builder went ahead and built a shingled roof. I didn't realize how heavy these things were until I tried, and failed to lift a bundle of them. Before the roof was sheathed, with just the trusses the roof moved easily. After it was plywood'd it we couldn't move it by hand. With the shingle on the weight is monstrous.

I've email Scott and BYO to see if the roller and their motor can move a roof like this. I'm afraid to have to rip it all off and change it. Better now than later though while I still have a dumpster!

Any similar experiences put there?

Scott Horstman
Vendor - Backyard Observatories

Reged: 03/11/04

Loc: Here, There and Everywhere
      #5480909 - 10/20/12 07:59 PM

Hey John. Sorry, I'm a little behind on e-mails. Di just had rotator cuff surgery so that's been a full time job this week. Hoping to get back on task somewhat come Monday.
To answer the motor question though, the motor doesn't care that the shingles are there. We use the HD motor on roofs up to 16x24 but recommend the SHD for bigger roofs.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: Scott Horstman]
      #5481093 - 10/20/12 09:51 PM

Thanks Scott! Worries are over then :-) Hope Diane is doing ok. When you get caught up, let's get that track and motor going. Once I get the roof moving I can decide on the Pier height of the Omage II. This is exciting stuff!

drollere
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/02/10

Loc: sebastopol, california
      #5485955 - 10/23/12 08:00 PM

Quote:

I've email Scott and BYO to see if the roller and their motor can move a roof like this. I'm afraid to have to rip it all off and change it. Better now than later though while I still have a dumpster! Any similar experiences put there?

mcnutty i am sorry i happened into this thread late. i read up top where you planned on a single huge (12'x14') roof but assumed your motors would take care of it.

i visited a few local observatories, one guy had a 9'x12' single roof and i could not comfortably move it on my own. so when i built my 10'x12' observatory i split the roof, one have rolls off on each side, and it works great. (see "observatory construction" at the site linked in my sig.)

a split roof also solves the weather stripping all around, since both ends can be closed with an overhang.

i'm not suggesting a major design change out of the hat. but if solving your roof mass any other way seems like a major obstacle, then you might consider putting up a second pair of rails, and sawing the roof in half, as a dire backup. you do have four rollers on each side -- so do i. and cover the roof in sheet metal -- much much better than tile.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: drollere]
      #5489160 - 10/25/12 07:40 PM

Hi Bruce! As a matter of fact, your split roof design was one of the ones I looked very carefully at before deciding what to do. In retrospect, I should have spun my floor plan 180 degrees and provided a split roof to slide the 11 feet off. But I was beset by indecision around issues of draining water, and avoiding snow problems on the roof. At that time I just figured I would make it easy and just slide the whole roof. This mitigated the concerns surrounding all those perceived problems. After looking over the BYO motor, I'm less concerned about the roof weight; there appears to be at least one set of gearing to improve low speed torque. Once Scott sends me more spec'd I expect my concerns to be met.

Once particular aspect of your design I really liked is your 'scope bunk' idea. :-) I'm planning a 1FT roof overhang, when the roof is fully retracted, above the inner wall on the hanger deck side for a space to fashion my own scope bunk in the protective shade of the roof. :-) I like the idea of having them right there near the pier instead of in the house, or the warm room. I'll keep my EP's and optics in the warm room, in a humidity controlled cabinet.

Another thought is to have an electric winch in the trusses so I can mount the heavier scopes without hurting my back. Holding up one of these 40 lb beasts up at shoulder height while trying to gently slide it into the mounts saddle is getting tiring. It would even be useful mounting the lower end of the tube truss, and 17.5 inch mirror, Discovery scope on its base box. Do much weight, so launch back pain.

Edited by MRNUTTY (10/25/12 08:48 PM)

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5493600 - 10/28/12 07:46 PM

A few quick additions before hurricane Sandy hits us: Started the vinyl siding, windows and doors :0)

CMacD

Reged: 01/23/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5493810 - 10/28/12 10:18 PM

The siding really makes it look polished John. Very nice.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design new [Re: CMacD]
      #5493879 - 10/28/12 11:23 PM

Thanks Clark! It wouldn't look half as good if I didn't have a great source of amateur built observatories to draw on!

My next concern is floor treatments, both for the aswarm room and the pier room. A colleague at work used an outdoor carpet product and treated it for ESD; which is a big concern during those dry winter months. I dead having equipment go reset itself, or fail after a good high voltage spark from my finger tips :-(

What have you folks used as a floor treatment?

Edited by MRNUTTY (10/31/12 07:16 AM)

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5501538 - 11/02/12 08:35 PM

Last anticipated updates for a while. I am waiting on the BYO Pier II,
and RoR Motor+Track. It may a take while. In the meantime, please
enjoy the shots of my trench :-)

The supply side will enter in a closeted utility area where my water
machinations live; Filter, Conditioner, expansion tank, etc...

Here's the OBS end. nothing special here. Once inside it will route
to the far side where the warm room is. There will be many other
examples that illustrate the advantage of reversing the layout of
the OBS; too late!

I believe the requirement is 18 inches. I'll verify ASAP. I am
running two 1 and 1/2 inch conduits. One for 120VAC the
other for Ethernet, etc... They will each have a draw string
to allow pulling additional wires at a later date.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5558939 - 12/07/12 09:57 AM

Short hiatus while I'm waiting for my BYO Omega II pier, and Motor+track for the RoR thanks to Scott and Diane!

The exterior is completely finished.

What are folks using for mechanical hard stops for the roof?

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5692767 - 02/21/13 01:29 PM

Long time between updates!

Just got the motor and track installed today and hit a few snags. I got Scott on the phone ( Thanks a bunch Scott! ), and went through the specifics of the gearing and pinch roller. He also sent me out an extra micro switch to replace the one we crushed. And I am relieved to report the roof actually can move!!!! I was so worried it was too heavy to move since we couldn't do it by hand. But now I know, and can reset easy as we work out clearance issues do to the way we mounted it.

Very exciting times!!!!

Ps: I stopped posting pictures because I ran out of room. I'll post more next week when we can get the roof open all the way, after the snow storm this weekend...

Edited by MRNUTTY (02/21/13 01:31 PM)

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

#5695298 - 02/22/13 06:01 PM

Was finally able to roll the roof completely open today!

I had clearance problems with the L-bracket which holds the upper pinch roller and limit micro switches. We ended up lowering the motor and track a couple of inches to clear the trusses. Beautiful work!!! Love it!!

I'll take some pix tomorrow before the next snow storm this weekend, Blah bad weather!

Edited by MRNUTTY (02/22/13 06:02 PM)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5695336 - 02/22/13 06:22 PM

Hey John, Congratulations! We'll be looking forward to those photos!

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Materials for ROR design [Re: csa/montana]
      #5695725 - 02/22/13 09:57 PM

I'm so psyched Carol! I still have some more work to do on the pier before before its ready, so I'll get the CGEM-DX with tripod out before the snow piles up :-) woohoo!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7753

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics