Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5703718 - 02/27/13 03:39 PM

Quote:

Hi Madratter,

I didn't want to hijack Zack's thread with my finder/guider mod but seeing that he also is interested in this solution I will give you a link where you can see more photos of this mod.

It is completely reversible as long as you use SSAG. You don't have to shorten the tube, etc. You just replace the rear lens body with the threaded holder I designed. It comes to focus with the part I produced. However, after some more thinking I have a better solution in mind, (a threaded connection to the camera and the finder) which will make this probably usable at f/7 as well. But for this, you will have to wait until I lay my hands on my new C8 Edge

Here is the link. Hope the pictures will be self explanatory.

Cheers

Very nice! Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5703880 - 02/27/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sedat- I wonder if would still be a good guider even when shooting at 2000mm?

Zac. it wasn't, because the nose piece had some play and at 1876mm ( @f/6.7 with APCCDT67 reducer) it was showing this flexure which normally wasn't a problem at 560mm fl. This time, I will produce a threaded connector and it will be much better. However, there are things to be done to the finder holder as well. Once I start the mod, I will document every step and share it with you guys.

Clear skies

Sedat- Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5704455 - 02/27/13 10:39 PM

It looks great Zach! Congratulations.

And don't worry those warm clear spring nights are on their way. You will be able to dive deep into the Virgo galaxies soon enough.

Steve

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: stevew]
      #5704511 - 02/27/13 11:26 PM

Quote:

It looks great Zach! Congratulations.

And don't worry those warm clear spring nights are on their way. You will be able to dive deep into the Virgo galaxies soon enough.

Steve

Thanks Steve! There should be some clear nights next week. I can't wait.

magnus
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/17/04

Loc: Visby, Sweden
      #5704525 - 02/27/13 11:36 PM

Beutiful SCT. Congratulations & enjoy!!
/Magnus 57N.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: magnus]
      #5704683 - 02/28/13 02:01 AM

Thanks!

Mark Costello
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5704906 - 02/28/13 08:50 AM

Hi Zach, your new rig looks really nice. I'm wondering that when you get your TMB130SS back in service, how'll you be dividing your time between it and your new Celestron Edge 8"? I'm asking since every so often I do a little "window shopping" for a complementary scope for my nice 5" achro. SCTs 8-10" are on the list but I'm wondering if an 8" SCT would "compete" instead of "complement" a 5" refractor.

Here's hoping your new scope shows you a lot of the night sky....

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5704964 - 02/28/13 09:28 AM

Thanks Mark! I'm hopeing that the Edge will be more of a complement than competition. I'm think the views will be close, but my guess is the Edge will when out. Once I get it fixed I'll do side by side comparisons between the two.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
      #5705108 - 02/28/13 11:01 AM

Quote:

Sedat- Thanks for the info! I would also be interested in how you go your autoguider to work with the finder scope. I wonder if would still be a good guider even when shooting at 2000mm?

Pat- Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Orion OAG would work with a dslr as my imaging camera?

Zach, the Orion OAG will definitely work with a DSLR. Many people use the OAG with Canon and Nikon variety cameras.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: PatHolland]
      #5705257 - 02/28/13 12:30 PM

Thanks for the info Pat!

Madratter
Postmaster

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5705541 - 02/28/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

Hi Zach, your new rig looks really nice. I'm wondering that when you get your TMB130SS back in service, how'll you be dividing your time between it and your new Celestron Edge 8"? I'm asking since every so often I do a little "window shopping" for a complementary scope for my nice 5" achro. SCTs 8-10" are on the list but I'm wondering if an 8" SCT would "compete" instead of "complement" a 5" refractor.

Here's hoping your new scope shows you a lot of the night sky....

Personally, I prefer my C6-RGT 6" achromat over my deforked Powerstar III C8 other than for photography. If I didn't have an observatory, I would feel differently.

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: Madratter]
      #5705603 - 02/28/13 03:42 PM

Congratulations Zach! What a beautiful telescope and mount. Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.....Phil

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: wky46]
      #5705785 - 02/28/13 05:24 PM

Madratter- I'm sure it will be an interesting comparison between the TMB and the Edge. I just hope I can get the TMB up and running before to long.

Phil-Thanks! It's certainly a nice setup to look at. The Edge and iE45 are a nice compliment to each other.

Madratter
Postmaster

#5706063 - 02/28/13 07:41 PM

Quote:

Madratter- I'm sure it will be an interesting comparison between the TMB and the Edge. I just hope I can get the TMB up and running before to long.

Phil-Thanks! It's certainly a nice setup to look at. The Edge and iE45 are a nice compliment to each other.

That TMB is one sweet scope. I would love to have it. So is the Edge. And both should be excellent both for photography and visual observing. It would be nice to be in your shoes trying to decide which is the nicer of the two.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: Madratter]
      #5706094 - 02/28/13 07:54 PM

Yeah it's a good situation to be in. The TMB has already proven itself both visually and photographically. I'm sure the Edge will do great. And once the TMB is fixed, I'll do a comparison between the two. And just for fun I'll through in a Meade 102ED for the comparison. It's a real sweet scope also.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5707022 - 03/01/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

Yeah it's a good situation to be in. The TMB has already proven itself both visually and photographically. I'm sure the Edge will do great. And once the TMB is fixed, I'll do a comparison between the two. And just for fun I'll through in a Meade 102ED for the comparison. It's a real sweet scope also.

I have the exact same TMB/EdgeHD combination (along with quite a few others). Both are excellent scopes with different uses. To me this is always an apples and oranges comparison. What's wrong with your TMB?

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: EFT]
      #5707079 - 03/01/13 12:24 PM

Ed- You're right. It will be like comparing apples to oranges. Though I still look forward to comparing the two.

The o-ring located behind the lenses popped out. It occupies the space where the collimation screws are located. I'm waiting to receive a new o-ring from Astronomics, which is waiting for the o-ring to be sent to them from the factory. Not sure how long it will, but right now I'm going on a month with no TMB.

Here is a link to the CN post I made with pictures.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5707092 - 03/01/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Ed- You're right. It will be like comparing apples to oranges. Though I still look forward to comparing the two.

The o-ring located behind the lenses popped out. It occupies the space where the collimation screws are located. I'm waiting to receive a new o-ring from Astronomics, which is waiting for the o-ring to be sent to them from the factory. Not sure how long it will, but right now I'm going on a month with no TMB.

Here is a link to the CN post I made with pictures.

Well there is something to keep in mind. Hopefully it will not effect collimation. I have never heard anything fun about refractor collimation. Otherwise they are beautiful scopes.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: EFT]
      #5707099 - 03/01/13 12:38 PM

Yeah from what I know my 130SS is the first to do this. If collimation is affected, I'll send to Astronomics to fix. I've attempted to collimate a triplet before and did not succeed. I figure it's better to let the experts handle it.

Mark Costello
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
      #5707215 - 03/01/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah from what I know my 130SS is the first to do this. If collimation is affected, I'll send to Astronomics to fix. I've attempted to collimate a triplet before and did not succeed. I figure it's better to let the experts handle it.

Hi Ed and Zach. Zach, why not just send your TMS130SS to Astronomics and have them put in the O-ring and make sure it's collimated?

Ed, thanks for saying that about your combo of the TMS130SS and C8HD. How do you use the apo and C8HD? I'm considering a C8HD as an EVENTUAL companion for my 5" achro. A C9.25 (HD or no) is also on that short list (so is a 8-10" Dob of sufficient focal length).

Best,

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3328

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics