Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1
APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Reged: 05/01/03

Loc: Germany
Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum
      #5696006 - 02/23/13 02:55 AM

Hi Owners of our Leica Zoom Adapters,

So Far, till today, after hundrets of Leica Zooms with our old and new adapters have been sold , we received 1 claim that the zooming stops when he lock the adpater with the 3 screws and today I saw one more claim of a UK customer and after that this morning one customer from Germanywho bought one used from soebody else reported the same.
The one from USA is on the way back, we have not seen yet to tell the reason. The one from Germany who bought it used, report to have 3 clear visible set screw markings on the barrel.
I use such eyepieces myself , putting adapter on and off and never have had any problem, not with old adapter and not with new adpater.

If a eyepiece shows such clear 2 pinsching places on the barrel as reported from the used german, then its a indication to me, that the re owner overtighten the set screws.

all around 200 customer who bought last year the same eyepiece, same old or new adapter have no problem or do not report ....because they handle the eyepiece as it should high quality stuff should be handled, with care ....

on no telescope, no mount, no accessories you ever should overtighten screws in such way, that you get deep markings into the metal, the same is requested for a eyepiece adapter

just my 2 cents and I will report my findings after the US eyepiece shows up

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

Re: Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum new [Re: APM M.Ludes]
      #5696294 - 02/23/13 10:26 AM

I would recommend that any person with any eyepiece holder (drawtube, adapter, etc.)that has a metal clamp screw which pushes directly against the eyepiece barrel, please replace that screw with a plastic, or even better plastic-tipped screw, of the same thread size. If not, you may be in the unfortunate position of having Markus on your barrel.

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum new [Re: Howie Glatter]
      #5696406 - 02/23/13 11:25 AM

Cute Howie. A "Markus" on your barrel.

Howie Glatter
Vendor

Reged: 07/04/06

Re: Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5696577 - 02/23/13 01:10 PM

We once found him passed out in the wine cellar.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5697273 - 02/23/13 08:37 PM

That's just wrong....

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

#5697774 - 02/24/13 04:20 AM

Howie

Plastic is hard too and if you use a allen rench key and tighten enough, you will do the same pinsching, try it yourself , before you give such superlative tips :-)

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5697864 - 02/24/13 08:06 AM

Does this problem apply to the ASPH, the older Vario, or both models?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum new [Re: t.r.]
      #5699757 - 02/25/13 12:12 PM

it apply to non of them.

We got today the one claimed and checked it. The Zooming mechanism is in the upper eyepiece part and zooming very rough...at the lower section where the adapter is held, ther eis zero zooming mechanism, so the adapter and its set screws have as far as I see it at today nothing to do with the zooming problem.

we send it now to leica to check whats the problem, but I exclude the adapter completly

t.r.
Post Laureate

#5701380 - 02/26/13 10:46 AM

Thank you for the update...can you follow up later as to what the problem is Markus?

APM M.Ludes
Vendor (APM Telescopes)

Re: Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum new [Re: t.r.]
      #5701897 - 02/26/13 03:40 PM

we will do, for shure, yes, its in our personal interest to know the problem

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5705752 - 02/28/13 05:01 PM

I am the one who sent the Leica ASPH Zoom back to Markus for inspection. The zoom worked perfectly fine until the adapter came loose and I tightened it back up, that is why I assumed it was the adapter. I did tighten the screws a little extra this time but I did not consider it to be excessive - we're talking about a $900 eyepiece so I was very careful! I felt it was "snug tight" and not "cranked down". I noticed though that the allen screws in the adapter were very pointy on the end and had made visible indentations into the metal of the barrel. Obviously there could be another cause, perhaps something internal. Markus has been extremely patient and open with this issue and I'd first of all like to thank him for that, and hope we can figure it out soon because it is an excellent eyepiece and it's sorely missed!

andydj5xp
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/04

Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E
Re: Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5706566 - 03/01/13 03:24 AM

Quote:

I am the one who sent the Leica ASPH Zoom back to Markus for inspection. The zoom worked perfectly fine until the adapter came loose and I tightened it back up, that is why I assumed it was the adapter. I did tighten the screws a little extra this time but I did not consider it to be excessive - we're talking about a $900 eyepiece so I was very careful! I felt it was "snug tight" and not "cranked down". I noticed though that the allen screws in the adapter were very pointy on the end and had made visible indentations into the metal of the barrel. Obviously there could be another cause, perhaps something internal. Markus has been extremely patient and open with this issue and I'd first of all like to thank him for that, and hope we can figure it out soon because it is an excellent eyepiece and it's sorely missed!

I do sincerely hope that your problem will be solved to your satisfaction.

But your observation ... that the allen screws in the adapter were very pointy on the end and had made visible indentations into the metal of the barrel." does indeed indicate that this might be the cause of the problem.

I don't know the internal details of the bayonet barrel of the ASPH zoom, but with the "old" zoom 22-7.3mm the wall thickness of the barrel is about 1mm. And within this barrel the negative group (barlow part) of the zooming mechanism is moving back and forth. The ASPH zoom will most likely also have a similar operation scheme, and hence could be impeded by dents.

As said before, I've never experienced any problems neither with the old Leica zoom nor the ASPH zoom. The old zoom was equipped with an adapter purchased from Markus while the ASPH zoom has a DIY adapter. The allen screws for the latter have flat tops simply due to the fact that the available srews of 10mm length had to be shortened down to 8mm.

Andreas

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: Leica Adapter Problem discussed on Forum new [Re: andydj5xp]
      #5707142 - 03/01/13 01:03 PM

How about just using a few dots of Loc-Tite instead of the grub screws?

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1046

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics