Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
dgmoses

Reged: 12/31/12

TEC 180 on Losmandy G-11
      #5697066 - 02/23/13 06:16 PM

Has anyone ever mounted a TEC 180 on a Losmandy G-11 mount attached to a Berlebach Planet tripod? I already own the G-11/Berlebach. In the near future I do not intend to use this scope for imaging, so no 10 pound camera rigs will be attached. Down the road when I do use the TEC 180 for imaging I will most likely buy a Losmandy Titan mounted on an 8" ATS portable pier for that purpose.

Some specifications... The TEC 180 will probably weigh around 42 to 44 pounds with all visual accessories attached. The capacity of the G-11 is 60 pounds plus balance weights. The TEC 180 is 45 inches long with dew shield retracted, and around 54 inches long with the dew shield extended.

Don

Edited by dgmoses (02/23/13 06:17 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HCR32
sage

Reged: 08/27/10

Loc: Australia
Re: TEC 180 on Losmandy G-11 new [Re: dgmoses]
      #5697115 - 02/23/13 06:54 PM

The scope will mount no worries, but personal I wouldn't be able to handle the settle down time when focusing. Such a scope deserves to be over mounted.

Joe C
sage

Reged: 11/29/08

Re: TEC 180 on Losmandy G-11 new [Re: HCR32]
      #5697444 - 02/23/13 10:07 PM

Just after ordering my AP175, I spoke to Scott at HGM about using my G11 with it. He said that the G11 would handle the scope in a zero wind condition but that he would not advise using it. It's not the weight but the moment arm that the scope creates. I opted to sell my G11 and move into the Titan. I would rather spend a few extra dollars than risk any issues with the scope.

dgmoses

Reged: 12/31/12

Re: TEC 180 on Losmandy G-11 new [Re: Joe C]
      #5697644 - 02/24/13 12:27 AM

Are you talking about blowing the scope over, which would be a tripod problem, or are you talking about torque caused because on both RA and DEC one end of each balance axis presents a larger surface to the wind than the other? It would seem to me that both these problems could be solved by not setting up the scope when the wind is over some minimum value.

Don

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:

Just after ordering my AP175, I spoke to Scott at HGM about using my G11 with it. He said that the G11 would handle the scope in a zero wind condition but that he would not advise using it. It's not the weight but the moment arm that the scope creates. I opted to sell my G11 and move into the Titan. I would rather spend a few extra dollars than risk any issues with the scope.

macdonjh
journeyman

Reged: 03/06/06

#5697679 - 02/24/13 01:28 AM

Don, I use my G-11 to mount a D&G 6" f/12 regularly; about half the weight and half-again as long as your TEC180. If you're worried about the scope/ mount combination I'm willing to trade you scopes. :-)

I can use my scope on the G-11 in light breezes, up to about 5 MPH, but building a pointing model is hard because with a moment arm that long the scope does move around some. The biggest problem really is that moment arm. Changing from a Radian or Nagler T6 to a Nagler T4 creates balance issues. I've changed my RA motor to a Maxon to relieve some intermittent troubles I started having last year.

One problem you might have is motors stalling when slewing. If that happens, try slowing the slew speed down. A friend just bought a 6" f/15 that he mounted on his G-11. He had to drop his slew speed down to 600 to get the motors to stop stalling.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: TEC 180 on Losmandy G-11 new [Re: Joe C]
      #5698577 - 02/24/13 04:50 PM

Joe, good move, the 175 would be a real handful for the G11, no sense compromising the scope.

peleuba
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/01/04

Loc: Southern PA
      #5699487 - 02/25/13 09:32 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

Quote:

Has anyone ever mounted a TEC 180 on a Losmandy G-11 mount attached to a Berlebach Planet tripod? I already own the G-11/Berlebach.

I have no experience with the 180, but I do own a TEC160FL and use the Berlebach Planet/G11 combination often as my "quick-look" setup if there is a such a thing with a a 6" refractor. And, while its OK - I much prefer using the G11 on top my 8" ATS portable pier.

I do not think you would be happy with the G11 on the BerleBach Planet. I think If you have to use a G11, its probably best to use it with the stock G11 tripod (if available to you), which is incredibly sturdy.

But at the end of the day this OTA - TEC180FL - is really more comfortable riding on an AP900 class mount.

Below is a pic with my 160 on the G11/Berlebach combo. I have since purchased the larger tripod shelf/spreader so the spread of the three legs is a bit wider.

Edited by peleuba (02/26/13 10:58 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 818

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics