Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
odontologist

Reged: 02/23/13

Complete newbie!just bought cpc800 because cloudyn
      #5697655 - 02/24/13 12:45 AM

I just bought a new cpc800xlt .I dont know anything about astronomy ,but a telescope as been on my bucket list for years and its getting delivered on the 26/2/2013.I made this choice after reading the forum,so thanks!!!!
Heres my questions
1- Its getting delivered by postal service and I am little worried about damage.They were originally suposed to use UPS but at the last moment for some unknown reason the canadian postal service will have a go at banging it around what should I test or watch out for when I receive it?
2-any book or web site should I go over to learn how to get going? I have already read the manual and some entries on the nextstar resource site but not sure which one is more important.
3-I assume joining a astrology club would be helpful what do look out for? there are a few in my area
4-I live in Quebec canada when is it realistic to take the scope outside (lots of snow on the ground but more importantly its cold!!!)? I have a glassed solarium ;does the telescope view through glass ceiling?
5-Accessories!!! whats the difference between the 2" and the 1.25" lenses should I get the celestron aluminium lens kit or buy them individually? I defenetly would like the moon filter and be able to view the planets and if possible deep space. I would like to see the images on my laptop (I have a 5 and 6 year old grandkids )
Ill get the 110 ac adaptor for sure.I would be interested in AP ,I guess at that point I will need HD wedge but will wait till I can build a fixed ciment pedestal as it seems its the only way to get fast set up to make it worthwhile is that correct?
6-There might be too much night light were I live, I live in the suburbs My neighbors have their yards lit up like army barracks.Im planing to move the telescope between my moms house up north and home ,thats why I choose the c800.Do I need extra accessories to make that possible?.I have a heavy duty aluminiun paded travelers box.
7-anything needed to make the learning curve not too steep and enjoyable? I will see about the seat,any other must have gadjets? I know thats a dangerous question!!!!!
thanks cloudy nights

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Complete newbie!just bought cpc800 because cloudyn new [Re: odontologist]
      #5697721 - 02/24/13 02:31 AM

You have many fine questions, Sir. However, it is late and there's plenty time for answers.

If you would re-word question #3 all will be well!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5697902 - 02/24/13 08:51 AM

The best advice I can give you it to seek out and join your local astronomy club. That is the most important and helpful thing you can do, and will be of far more value now and in the future than any web page or book.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Complete newbie!just bought cpc800 because cloudyn new [Re: rmollise]
      #5697967 - 02/24/13 10:01 AM

Yes there will almost certainly be people in your local club with the same or similar scopes and the patience to help you get up and running. Overall one bit fo advice -- no rush. Take your time, get familiar with your scope and its operation and capabilities and try out some club member eyepieces before you dive into major additional purchases. It's a fine instrument that should give you many years of good viewing!

sanlopez
sage

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: 35.9606° N, 83.9208° W
Re: Complete newbie!just bought cpc800 because cloudyn new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5700209 - 02/25/13 04:35 PM

1- what should I test or watch out for when I receive it? Lucky for you, the damage will be apparent: broken glass everywhere. I have seen photos of SCT's damaged by mishandling in delivery, and it's catastrophic.

2-any book or web site should I go over to learn how to get going? I learned everything I know via this site and the Nexstar's resource site.

3-I assume joining a astrology club would be helpful what do look out for? there are a few in my area. Astronomy clubs will be useful, esp. when setting it up for the first time.

4-;does the telescope view through glass ceiling? Yes, but it will be terribly distorted and not worth much.

5-Accessories!!! whats the difference between the 2" and the 1.25" lenses
2" eyepieces have a wider barrel, and give you wider view. They also require using a 2" diagonal. They are also somewhat easier to use if you wear prescription glasses.

should I get the celestron aluminium lens kit or buy them individually?
Buy individually. Great deals in used ones here.

You can "view images through your laptop", but that requires a whole 'nother set of software, hardware and skills

6- Use the styrofoam inserts of your telescope's packaging to build a travel case. And make sure you get the rechargeable power supply, the Celestron power pack w/ the giant flashlight works well.

To make the learning curb more enjoyable practice setting up the telescope during the daytime, but DO NOT LOOK AT THE SUN.

have fun, take your time, be patient

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
Re: Complete newbie!just bought cpc800 because cloudyn new [Re: sanlopez]
      #5700757 - 02/25/13 11:05 PM

Ditch the finder scope that will come with the package. Get a Telrad and an illuminated reticle. It will make your alignment 10 times faster and much more accurate.
Know your handset menus inside and out.
I leave my wedge attached to he tripod unless I'm traveling. To take it off quickly, get a shorty ratchet and the appropriate Allen socket. Much faster than using an Allen wrench.
Daylight savings is coming up, make sure your handset is set to the right time. Otherwise, it will NEVER align.
The learning curve isn't steep, it is long. Everyone uses, "steep" as if you have to learn everything by tomorrow or you're out of the club. Make this enjoyable for a long time.

odontologist

Reged: 02/23/13

#5707345 - 03/01/13 03:10 PM

I got the telescope in perfect order .Its a beatiful thing right now it looks great in my living room ,I cant wait to take it outside ,any thing to watch out for with the cold outside temperature?
Thanks for all the awnser advice to my post ,I will take it easy and look for accesories as I learn to use it

HeyJP
sage

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
      #5711295 - 03/03/13 07:34 PM

Scopes were made for the cold. Go for it with gusto. I live in Boulder Colorado and I leave my CPC 1100 outside all the time with a Telgizmo 365 canvas cover. Fast to setup and observe when the sky clears.

Jim

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 874

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics