Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro
      #5698420 - 02/24/13 02:56 PM

I've long been a fan of the classic Vixen Polaris GEM as a solid, smooth, well-made and handsome GEM grab-n-go. Happiest carrying my 5" f/5 Newt, I often overload it with my tank-like 6" f/5 Newt and 6" MCT while retaining pleasing handling.

I recently discovered that Tasco sell a made-in-China clone of the Polaris. I had to find out how this reproduction compares with the original.

The Tasco mount (#302013) is usually delivered with a 4.5" f/8 Newt, and can be bought new on fleabay for $125 including shipping. As I have a fleet of 4.5" OTAs, I would have no problems comparing the Tasco with the Vixen back-to-back.

The Tasco arrived well-packed in a typically colorful Tasco box. The first major differences observed between the Tasco and the Vixen is Tasco's handsome black-wrinkle finish, a saddle that will only hold a 130-140mm diameter tube, smooth counter-weight shaft, and generic aluminum legs. I also note that the Tasco makes use of the larger eyepiece tray found on Vixen SPs rather than the smaller tray found on the Polaris. Assembly was fast and straightforward, and I soon had a Cometron CO114 (made by Vixen) on the Vixen, and a Towa (sold by Lafayette) on the Tasco. As an aside, regular readers of the Classics forum may recall my observations that the Towa performs significantly better than the Vixen optics.

More detailed observations of the 2 mounts expose more differences. It seems that the Chinese did make a valiant attempt to remanufacture the Vixen, but did take a few shortcuts, perhaps mandated by bean-counters, or engineering/artistic license.

As can be seen in the photos, I have hot-rodded the Vixen, replacing slo-mo controls, adding a Vixen saddle and CG-5 counterweight and shaft, and cleaning out the old grease, polishing bearing surfaces and using low-temperature grease that does not stiffen when the temperatures fall below -20F.

Handing impressions of the Tasco were positive. The Tasco is equally smooth, but will benefit from the same strip/clean/polish/relube that the Vixen has received. Dec axis handling is identical in both GEMs, and interestingly, I found the Tasco equally stiff in handling around RA to the Vixen. I have been meaning to polish an additional thous or two off the RA bearing in the Vixen to remedy this, so now I have to do it to the Tasco as well.

The aluminum tripod legs of the Tasco are not up to the standards of rigidity of the Vixen's wooden legs, but when I swapped in a set of white oak legs to the Tasco, vibration damping times seem identical between both GEMs.

All-in-all, I am delightfully impressed with the Tasco. However, used Vixens that require a little elbow-grease can be found for the same price as the Tasco. For the user who want new, or needs-it-now, the Tasco is a worthy contender for the Best Lightweight GEM award.

When in alt-az mode, I believe both Tasco and Vixen mounts provide the best-bang-for buck of *any* new alt-az with slo-mo controls.

Edited by hottr6 (02/24/13 03:51 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: hottr6]
      #5698451 - 02/24/13 03:23 PM

How interesting!! It does look pretty nice! Looks like parts from one will fit the other as well. I'd say this is pretty good news for owners of small scopes, such as a 60mm or the like, who can't find a used Polaris.

Just found one for $99 on the 'bay.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5698747 - 02/24/13 06:23 PM

Yes, I saw one from Bill Vorce and wondered if was a Polaris I'd somehow missed. Thanks for the 'view.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: Geo.]
      #5732739 - 03/14/13 06:57 PM

My original Polaris has a setting circle like the one on your Tasco. GW

UND_astrophysics
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5809653 - 04/19/13 09:36 PM

Great Article. I bought one from Bill also. I also Bought an iOptron Smart EQ polar scope. It fits perfectly into the Tasco mount. This is a lot of mount for the 95$ I paid. Worth 3 times more easily.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

#5809722 - 04/19/13 10:13 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

While the Chinese may have made a valiant attempt I don't think they have created an equal to the original Polaris mount. Yet.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: greju]
      #5809884 - 04/20/13 12:22 AM

Then again, my Vixen Polaris has about 40 seconds of PE. So I find it quite possible something as-good should be achievable.

-Rich

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5810826 - 04/20/13 12:44 PM

Actually I think the Chinese mount is heavier with better clutches. They operate smoother than the Polaris. I had to loosen by 1/4 turn the bolts in both DEC axis. and the Chinese mount smoothed out quite a bit. the Polaris still hangs up. Just my observations.

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: UND_astrophysics]
      #5810862 - 04/20/13 01:08 PM

The iOptron Smart- EQ polar scope fits perfectly. It is $50 vs. $250 for the Vixen version that also fits. Easy choice.

labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
      #5822273 - 04/25/13 02:06 PM

Wow, I always find out about these deals late it seams, looked on ebay last couple days could not find anything
as described above, so today I called Telescope warehouse,
(Bill) they said they are long gone. Back to looking for a used GEM. Unless someone has some advice.
Thinking of a GEM or??? for my new Tasco 10te, think it weighs about 9 lbs but is very long.

dbledsoe
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/09/06

Loc: Boise, Idaho USA
      #5824207 - 04/26/13 11:43 AM

Quote:

Same here on my vintage Polaris.

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: labmand]
      #5828803 - 04/28/13 05:35 PM

William had a couple of Brand New LXD tripods with Autostar brand new in the box at some crazy price like 150$. I would have loved to bought one, but they would be almost impossible to get repaired should something go bad down the road (seeing how Meade's support has been the past few years )

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#5829269 - 04/28/13 10:32 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

Your Polaris might, but THE original does not.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

#5829938 - 04/29/13 11:13 AM

Quote:

Great Article. I bought one from Bill also. I also Bought an iOptron Smart EQ polar scope. It fits perfectly into the Tasco mount. This is a lot of mount for the 95$ I paid. Worth 3 times more easily.

Great tip, thanks. I think I'll try one and also see if it fits the Polaris.

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
      #5830520 - 04/29/13 03:30 PM

So with all the garbage Tasco puts out these days, why isn't this available? I would love to buy one.

UND_astrophysics
sage

Re: Vintage Vixen Polaris GEM vs. new Tasco repro new [Re: watcher]
      #5832410 - 04/30/13 01:57 PM

I do not know. Mine was brand new in an unopened box. I paid $94 for it, and when I opened it, I thought I had been shipped a wrong mount by accident until I saw the folder with the tasco stuff written on it. I have no idea how long he had been sitting on these, but obviously they are not like telescopes now. Even Meade and Celestron mounts do not close to these nowadays. I am slightly baffled myself. I Wrote him and asked where in the world he come across these, and he only replied "Not all of Tasco stuff is junk". That's no joke.

Even the OTA and tube is very high quality, a lot of metal, and machined aluminum collimation knobs. I even have a right ascension motor and electric focuser that is original Tasco mounted on it. I've owned (and own) several Meades, Celestrons, iOptrons, Bousch and Lombe, Vixen, and for the quality and construction, I can say this is probably the nicest telescope I have ever owned.

Beats me why I have never seen these available.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

#5832558 - 04/30/13 03:10 PM

You got the OTA as well? Sweeeet, Is the mirror parabolic or spheroidal? How does it star test?

I will agree with you that the mount is very nice. Despite murmurs from the peanut gallery who have never seen the Tasco mount, I have compared it directly with the Vixen Polaris and you cannot tell the difference between the two in the dark (unless you touch it and then the crinkle-finish gives it away). The smoothness of controls, lack of backlash and heft is of identical quality to the original.

You may think about junking the aluminum legs. I put on wooden legs and now the damping time is identical to the original.

A bit of machine work is required to adapt the mount to other OTAs.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

#5832578 - 04/30/13 03:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your Polaris might, but THE original does not.

I don't think your mount was made by Vixen. Mizar made clones for a while with a smooth black paint.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#5832623 - 04/30/13 03:49 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

No black paint on this mount. Milled out of a solid block of aluminum. This is how Vixen first produced them before the cast versions that you are using for a comparison. A few tweaks on the insides too. While I cannot speak for the comparison you are making I realize the pictured mount would not be an apples to apples comparison to either of the mounts you picture.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

#5832626 - 04/30/13 03:50 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Pretty sure it is a Vixen product.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2745

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics