Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Great quote from a great book... new
      #5694872 - 02/22/13 02:34 PM

It's William Sheehans A PASSION FOR THE PLANETS, commenting on his appreciation of a night sky:

I know of nothing more satisfying than to stand beneath the stars, with a brilliant planet shining in the sky. Then all worldly cares fall away, and one lives - for a moment - in the shadow of eternity. There is an exhilaration to communing with other worlds that is addictive. Moreover, for those who follow the movements of the planets, the rhythms and seasons of life have always been played out against elongations and oppositions, conjunctions and occultations. Such events are transcendent, and give a sort of majesty to existences that otherwise can seem so trivial and ephemeral.

Excerpt From: Sheehan, William. A Passion for the Planets. Springer New York, New York, NY. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrodj
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/24/11

Loc: Missouri
Re: Great quote from a great book... new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5694911 - 02/22/13 02:55 PM

Pete,

That describes exactly how I feel when I look at Jupiter and it's moons through a telescope for several hours on end. Awesome quote.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Great quote from a great book... new [Re: Astrodj]
      #5695135 - 02/22/13 04:44 PM

It's actually quite a heavy read in terms of brute honesty - and not always flattering and light. The way Burnham Jr. withered out of existence was particularly tragic. Through it all (so far!!) it's beautifully executed and enlightening. I stumbled on a real gem.

Pete

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #5696106 - 02/23/13 06:34 AM

Quote:

It's William Sheehans A PASSION FOR THE PLANETS, commenting on his appreciation of a night sky:

I know of nothing more satisfying than to stand beneath the stars, with a brilliant planet shining in the sky. Then all worldly cares fall away, and one lives - for a moment - in the shadow of eternity. There is an exhilaration to communing with other worlds that is addictive. Moreover, for those who follow the movements of the planets, the rhythms and seasons of life have always been played out against elongations and oppositions, conjunctions and occultations. Such events are transcendent, and give a sort of majesty to existences that otherwise can seem so trivial and ephemeral.

I couldn't agree more.

Rich (RLTYS)

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: Great quote from a great book... new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5697474 - 02/23/13 10:24 PM

Pete,

This quote really sums it up well. The night sky is truly inspirational.

Thanks for posting. Dean

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Great quote from a great book... new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #5698354 - 02/24/13 02:19 PM

Sheehan is very eloquent. One of the best astro writers out there.
I'll look for that one.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Great quote from a great book... [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5698554 - 02/24/13 04:37 PM

Rick its so worth it. It's over the top. He goes off on these long digressions then returns to the starting point in this reoccurring illuminating style of presentation, fact, theory and personal views.
Pete

Edited by azure1961p (02/24/13 05:04 PM)

ericj
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/17/05

#5725751 - 03/11/13 12:32 PM

Hi Pete,

Great quote. Here are some of my favorite astronomy quotes:

"I know that I am mortal and the creature of a day; but when I search out the massed wheeling circles of the stars, my feet no longer touch the earth, but, side by side with Zeus himself, I take my fill of ambrosia, the food of the gods." -- Ptolemy

"For my part, I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." -- Vincent van Gogh

"There is a grandeur, an almost overpowering sublimity in the scene that no language can fully express." -- George P. Bond, after observing The Orion Nebula with the 15" refractor at Harvard College Observatory, 1847

"There is not perhaps another object in the heavens that presents us with such a variety of extraordinary phenomena as the planet Saturn: a magnificent globe, encompassed by a stupendous double ring: attended by seven satellites: ornamented with equatorial belts: compressed at the poles: turning upon its axis: mutually eclipsing its ring and satellites, and eclipsed by them: the most distant of the rings also turning upon its axis, and the same taking place with the farthest of the satellites: all the parts of the system of Saturn occasionally reflecting light to each other: the rings and moons illuminating the nights of the Saturnian: the globe and satellites enlightening the dark parts of the rings: and the planet and rings throwing back the sun's beams upon the moons, when they are deprived of them at the time of their conjunctions." -- Sir William Herschel, 1805

"If I were to pray for a taste which would stand by me under every variety of circumstances, and be a source of happiness and cheerfulness to me through life, and a shield against its ills, however things might go amiss, and the world frown upon me, it would be a taste for reading." -- Sir William Herschel

"I came in with Halley's Comet in 1835. It is coming again, and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don't go out with Halley's Comet. The almighty has said no doubt, 'Now here are two unaccountable freaks. They came in together, they must go out together'." -- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), April, 1910

"I recollect a night of broken clouds And underfoot snow melted down to ice, And melting further in the wind to mud. Bradford and I had out the telescope. We spread our two legs as we spread its three, Pointed our thoughts the way we pointed it, And standing at our leisure till the day broke, Said some of the best things we ever said. That telescope was christened the Star-Splitter..." -- Robert Frost, from his poem entitled "The Star-Splitter"

Best,

Eric Jamison

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Great quote from a great book... new [Re: ericj]
      #5726283 - 03/11/13 04:35 PM

Thanks for the quotes Eric. I just finished today reading a best seller by Jim Holt : WHY DOES THE WORLD EXIST? He goes through all the great philosophers of present, late present and deep past . One of the heaviest reads Ive ever had!!!

I enjoyed your listed fab quotes, thanks again!

Pete

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 548

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics