Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
KD58
sage

Reged: 11/23/12

Loc: West Texas
How can I shoot this better new
      #5697622 - 02/24/13 12:12 AM

I've been trying to shoot the moon with my Canon 5D Mk II attached to my ES 127 mm triplet refractor. I had the camera attached to my laptop and controlled through BYE. I adjusted focus while viewing in BYE but this is the best I got . It has a little contrast added in PS but I just cant get my images to be sharper. I'm going to try a Bahtinov mask tomorrow but wonder if there is any other advice. I've never used a Bahtinov and will be using it with the DSLR attached to the telescope and either viewed in live view or through BYE.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88866446@N03/8501634647/in/photostream

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: KD58]
      #5697640 - 02/24/13 12:23 AM

I found the bahtinov mask easy to use and took the guess work out of focusing. You can even use it with live view if you zoom in to a star.

Dave12345

Reged: 01/09/13

Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5697838 - 02/24/13 06:42 AM

That looks good to me. Something i have recently realized, since is started photographing the Moon about a month ago, is that fully lit, or full Moons always lack detail, with partial moons are always detailed, and don't lack detail or focus. There is excellent crater detail etc, but when you don't have the shadows, the pictures don't look as good.

Driven1

Reged: 08/19/10

Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP
Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: Dave12345]
      #5697912 - 02/24/13 09:06 AM

Probably better for focusing the Moon and other Planets is the Hartmann Mask. Bahtinov's are great for distant objects, but might be difficult for something as close as the Moon. http://www.billyard-ink.com/Hartmann.shtml

In focusing on a Star with a Bahtinov and then going back to the Moon, the shot will be out of focus due to the Moon being so close.

You might also try a "Moon Filter" to bring out more contrast and detail on bright Moon shots.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: How can I shoot this better [Re: Driven1]
      #5698710 - 02/24/13 05:54 PM

To improve detail add layers of contrast and overlay.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: KD58]
      #5698934 - 02/24/13 09:12 PM

Like others have noted, that's a good pic, if you want more contrast, image the moon long before it is full, it just washes everything out. It's nice to have some shadows to work with.

KD58
sage

Reged: 11/23/12

Loc: West Texas
Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: rigel123]
      #5699370 - 02/25/13 07:29 AM

Thanks for all the great advice and comments. I do appreciate all the help given.

RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: Driven1]
      #5700340 - 02/25/13 06:11 PM

Quote:

Probably better for focusing the Moon and other Planets is the Hartmann Mask. Bahtinov's are great for distant objects, but might be difficult for something as close as the Moon. http://www.billyard-ink.com/Hartmann.shtml

In focusing on a Star with a Bahtinov and then going back to the Moon, the shot will be out of focus due to the Moon being so close.

This is a myth. Are you seriously saying your focus is so sensitive you have to refocus between something at a couple hundred thousand miles and something at a few light years? Do the math... there is no measurable difference in the focal point.

Grant

Driven1

Reged: 08/19/10

Loc: N. Central PA near CSSP
Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5700418 - 02/25/13 07:10 PM

Perhaps it's a myth, however in my experience with my scope, I HAVE to refocus for the Moon after looking at something like, let's say Jupiter. Star focusing with a Bahtinov works great for the distant planets, but for the Moon, I have to re-focus. Just sayin'. That's My experience with My Scope.

Anyone else have to refocus on the Moon after looking at more distant objects?

Ratchet

Reged: 08/07/11

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: How can I shoot this better new [Re: Driven1]
      #5700516 - 02/25/13 08:19 PM

The moon and a star should be well into the "infinity" range of any lens or telescope. I think the reason you may have to refocus for the moon is due to the fact it is very large and the accommodation of your eye requires one to be in a different sweet spot than perfect center focus in order to pan around with the eye and have everything in focus since most scopes and eyepieces will produce field curvature.

A moon filter will just reduce brightness.

I think the OP image is pretty typical for a single shot although there is some weird oil painting effect to the image.

If you aren't using mirror lock up, try it and it may give a bit more sharpness by reducing shake on the optical train. Processed video is the way to go for moon shots.

Edited by Ratchet (02/27/13 10:19 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, WOBentley, dr.who, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 658

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics