Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
curiosidad
sage

Reged: 06/09/11

Differences between FS60 and FS60Q.? new
      #5696550 - 02/23/13 12:48 PM

Hello,
I just saw that Takahashi has released a variant or another model of FS-60, FS60 called Q.
Exactly what is the difference between the FS60 and FS60Q model? Apart from the focal distance?
Using the Q model, an internal barlow, extender, or takes flattening image?
Visually, what is the difference between these two models?
The Q could support more mag.?
greetings

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: Differences between FS60 and FS60Q.? new [Re: curiosidad]
      #5696586 - 02/23/13 01:15 PM

The top refractor photo below is FS-60Q + 1.6x ExtenderQ, 60mm f/16
If you remove (unscrew) CQ 1.7x and attach objective lens cell to OTA, it becomes FS-60CB + 1.6x Extender, 60mm f/9.44
If you remove 1.6x ExtenderQ and CQ-1.7x and attach objective lens cell to OTA, it becomes FS-60CB, 60mm f/5.9

CQ 1.7x is flat field Barlow lens designed for FS-60CB to make 60mm f/10 flat field scope FS-60Q.

FS-60Q is indeed very flat, I can detect no sign of field curvature visually with flat field eyepieces like Delos, Ethos, Tak UW, etc.

Tammy

curiosidad
sage

Re: Differences between FS60 and FS60Q.? new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5699586 - 02/25/13 10:25 AM

There is too much difference in planetary observation between the FS60 and the FS60Q?
You can use highest magnifications on the Q model ?
You can use a 2" satr diagonal with a 2" eyepiece wide angle?
It can handle this weights?
Thank you

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Differences between FS60 and FS60Q.? [Re: curiosidad]
      #5700175 - 02/25/13 04:24 PM

Tammy, one day I'd love to see a video on YouTube of a walk-through in your wharehouse.

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

#5701442 - 02/26/13 11:25 AM

> There is too much difference in planetary observation between the FS60 and the FS60Q?
> You can use highest magnifications on the Q model ?

I haven't pushed FS-60CB to high magnification but I did with FS-60Q (and ExtenderQ-1.6x).
I can get quite sharp image at 120x since I don't suffer from floaters and small exit pupil does not bother me much.
What you can see is just limited by aperture and your eye. I would imagine that perfect 60mm refractor image may not differ that much from FS-60Q

> You can use a 2" satr diagonal with a 2" eyepiece wide angle?
If you want to utilize 2" full aperture, you would need special adapter to 2" diagonal. You can read about Dave's review.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=443

> It can handle this weights?
Yes, focuser did handle the heaviest eyepiece I have, Explore Scientific ES9-120 well but it is difficult to balance the scope.

This is bit crazy, FS-60Q(4) + ExtenderQ-1.6x(5) + ES9-120(12), total 21 elements, yielding 106x, 1.3 degree TFOV, 0.56mm exit pupil performed very nicely.

Currently, FS-60Q is my spotting scope and grab-n-go with zoom eyepiece (60x-120x):

Tammy

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Differences between FS60 and FS60Q.? new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5701447 - 02/26/13 11:27 AM

Quote:

Tammy, one day I'd love to see a video on YouTube of a walk-through in your wharehouse.

Hi Mark,

You mean walk-through my living and family room?

Tammy

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5701584 - 02/26/13 12:31 PM

With all the gear I've seen you show pictures of, I thought you had at least a two story warehouse. Just kidding of course - but impressed as always.

curiosidad
sage

#5701728 - 02/26/13 01:53 PM

When you use it as a Telescope "birding" between what magnifications behaves better this little Tak? without losing optical quality?

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

#5703147 - 02/27/13 09:59 AM

Quote:

When you use it as a Telescope "birding" between what magnifications behaves better this little Tak? without losing optical quality?

I am not sure what you are asking. I am guessing that you are asking what magnification FS-60Q/CB can be used as a spotting scope for birding?

For daytime terrestrial use, I don't think FS-60Q/CB itself is a bottle neck as far as magnification goes. You don't get benefit of high power during daytime due to unstable air. 60x is already too high in most situation if your target is say a mile away. View is full of smear during day

In my location, just before sunrise, just after sunset, probably a few times a year air gets steady enough to allow me to go high power to observe terrestrial target at 200x, 1.5 miles away. I usually use 5" or 6" refractor when the condition happens not 60mm refractor.

Tammy

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5703164 - 02/27/13 10:10 AM

In my limited experience daytime views become a lot less appealing when the exit pupil gets smaller than about 2 mm. With a 60 mm aperture that means the practical maximum is about 30x magnification.

You can of course detect an acceptable sharp image at higher magnifications if, like Tammy said, the conditions allow it but you'll miss the contrast and the vibrant colours you get at larger exit pupils.

If you expect to be using a certain magnification often, make sure you select an aperture sufficiently large to get a good sized exit pupil.

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #5703671 - 02/27/13 02:59 PM

Well with my FS-60Q on Jupiter I can go up to 120x... 140x is really pushing it since the image gets too dim for comfort.
On the moon 140x is no issue at all.
For daytime view I simply don't know.

best regards
Chris

curiosidad
sage

Re: Differences between FS60 and FS60Q.? new [Re: chboss]
      #5704754 - 02/28/13 05:38 AM

Tammy, your observation with the ES-9-120 must be fabulous!
How you see the moon with these increases and the large amount of field?

curiosidad
sage

#5704758 - 02/28/13 05:47 AM

Sorry,
So many questions .. is because I've been offered the opportunity to purchase (second hand) a Takahashi FS60 CB, and I'm thinking maybe this could be a good small telescope to look quick, field trips, birding , and some astronomy, without any kind of specialization in any field, only to quick observations of the Moon, a planet like Jupiter or Saturn, some double stars or open clusters and wide-field observations perhaps with some eyepiece 2 ", although with the short focal Tak having this may not be necessary to use eyepieces 2 "...??
Someone could tell me something about this last issue?
Ep. 2 "vs Ep. 1.25" in this refractor?

Thank you very much ...

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

#5707705 - 03/01/13 07:48 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking maybe this could be a good small telescope to look quick, field trips, birding , and some astronomy, without any kind of specialization in any field, only to quick observations of the Moon, a planet like Jupiter or Saturn, some double stars or open clusters and wide-field observations perhaps with some eyepiece 2 ", although with the short focal Tak having this may not be necessary to use eyepieces 2 "...??
Someone could tell me something about this last issue?
Ep. 2 "vs Ep. 1.25" in this refractor?

You are asking too much. Not questions but making FS-60 can-do-everything scope

Basic configuration of FS-60 is for wide field imaging and 1.25" visual scope. To go to 2" diagonal/2" large field stop eyepiece, you need special adapter.

I am not comfortable to bring FS-60 to backpacking field trip for various reasons. I'll use water/shock resistant spotting scope for the duty. New Swarovski modular spotting scope looks very interesting to me.

What do you consider wide field? 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, ... degree? My case TFOV 10+ degree is wide. It is hard to attain with telescope. I use low power binoculars (5x32) for that and I like it very much. Are they sharp to edge? Not at all but it is wonderful optical aid to see more beyond naked eyes.

I guess I am trying to say that each instrument is designed to excel to something. Some may cover wide range of application but if you hope something to be jack-of-all-trades and does it well, you often find it mediocre in general.

Instead, buy something you think it is decent and find something special about it, it excels to something as designed. It takes time to get to know. But you'll find it.

That's my approach and what I enjoy, getting to know what it can show to you.

Tammy

waso29
sage

Reged: 05/12/10

Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth
      #5707777 - 03/01/13 08:51 PM

How would fs60q compare to fc60e?

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1388

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics