Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
To rebalance or not to rebalance...
      #5700410 - 02/25/13 06:59 PM

I've never seen this question so thought I'd ask. Do you need to rebalance your scope when switching EP's? Some 2" EP's are close to 2 lbs in weight difference. And if you also add in a 2" barlow, even more. I never have rebalanced and I'm wondering if I need to. Thanks, Patrick

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: To rebalance or not to rebalance... new [Re: Stargaz18]
      #5700562 - 02/25/13 08:59 PM

Yes! If I don't, my scope's servo drives groan in protest.
-----
Dave

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5700592 - 02/25/13 09:20 PM

I think it's usually a good idea to do so. But it can depend on your scope setup. For instance, my 10 inch dob has a tension knob where I can just tighten the knob more and it will handle a heavier eyepiece. But, I could get some counterweights rather than tighten that up so much. I'd say if it's a really heavy payload I would do that (a 30mm Meade UWA for instance).

On my refractors I would rebalance if it were a significant change. You may have to anyways when you see your OTA start to move on it's own.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: To rebalance or not to rebalance... new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5700622 - 02/25/13 09:33 PM

By drilling two new holes where the bearings attached I lowered my dob and moved the center of gravity. I attach a weight to the bottom and have a sliding weight on one of my strut poles and the scope stays balance throughout the night now.

Madratter
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/13

#5700694 - 02/25/13 10:25 PM

No I don't bother. I also have a CG-5. I balance at the start with my most commonly used eyepiece, which also happens to be middle of the road in terms of weight. As Uncle Rod says, the mount can sound like weasels with tuberculosis, but it moves around just fine.

Edited by Madratter (02/26/13 05:01 PM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5701020 - 02/26/13 04:49 AM

If your scope is working OK, then you don't need to rebalance. If it's not working OK, then you do. Not surprisingly, the bigger the scope, the less it matters what eyepiece is in it. A 4.5-inch Dob is more likely to need rebalancing than a 16-inch Dob -- likewise a 5-inch SCT versus a 16-inch SCT.

Is your scope exhibiting symptoms that make you think rebalancing might be advisable?

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: To rebalance or not to rebalance... new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5701121 - 02/26/13 07:59 AM

Someone (I think Televue) makes a weighted 1.25" to 2" adapter for this reason. In the past I have attached an appropriate weight to my diagonal using velcro. Normally I don't bother.

Al

Ed D
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/30/10

Loc: Sunny South Florida
Re: To rebalance or not to rebalance... new [Re: mich_al]
      #5701247 - 02/26/13 09:30 AM

I drilled new holes to move the trunnions (pivots) on my tube Dob about an inch to balance the load with my binoviewer - talk about heavy! With single eyepieces it's a bit tail heavy, the opposite with the binoviewer. However, the normal spring tension between the base and trunnions is enough to hold the assembly in place.

In your case I suggest trying and playing with the eyepieces first before modding the scope. They may not have any significant impact on the balance.

Ed D

Edited by Ed D (02/26/13 09:33 AM)

Stargaz18
sage

Reged: 01/04/11

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Re: To rebalance or not to rebalance... new [Re: Ed D]
      #5701933 - 02/26/13 03:58 PM

No I haven't been having any problems Tony. I was just wondering if I needed to rebalance to avoid any future problems with the goto drive gears. Thanks for all your answers guys!

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 534

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics