Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
steve-in-kville
sage

Reged: 12/24/07

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Another scope or accessorize what I have? new
      #5700046 - 02/25/13 03:26 PM

I've been really enjoying my Orion 90mmm so far. I had changed the mount and tripod to a Vixen Porta II which I like a lot. This is my only scope at the moment.

I have some funds allocated for hobbies and such (money my wife lets me spend!). I am thinking of another scope, maybe downsizing a bit to a AT72ED as my grab-n-go on the Porta II and then upgrading to a heavier EQ for the Orion.

Or should I hold off on another scope and buy more accessories for my Orion? (more EP's, better diagonal, nicer finder, etc).

What would you do in this situation? Replies welcome.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KerryR
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: SW Michigan
Re: Another scope or accessorize what I have? new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5700090 - 02/25/13 03:42 PM

An easy thing to fall in to is always craving another scope, and/or searching for the Grand Unified Telescope. Always craving another scope (or accessory) falls largely into "The Grass Is Always Greener" arena, and there is no GUT (the one best scope that does it all perfectly).

My experience with this yielded a lot of debt and very little further observing joy. Quite the opposite.

I have a large collection of scopes from 70mm to 16", and accessories. I could be happy with nearly any one of them and 3 or 4 ep's.

Thomas Karpf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Newington, CT
      #5700092 - 02/25/13 03:43 PM

Your 90mm is already fairly small aperture-wise.

If it were me, I'd consider a lot more aperture like the Astro-Tech 6" f/4 'astrograph' that Astronomics has for $299. You would have to buy a mounting rail, of course, for the rings.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5700106 - 02/25/13 03:48 PM

Quote:

What would you do in this situation?

I would look into imaging, DSLR for the start, if not already an imager. If yes, can you give you more pointers. Thx

steve-in-kville
sage

Re: Another scope or accessorize what I have? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5700122 - 02/25/13 03:57 PM

Not really into imaging, just viewing at this point.

I would consider a larger refractor but my 90mm already measures 35" and can be a beast to move around as one piece. A shorter OTA length would be nice, I have considered the SCT and various other cats but I am not sure I want to go that route.

I would rather focus on improving the equipment I have than getting more.

Keep the replies coming!

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5700131 - 02/25/13 04:02 PM

That 90mm is pretty portable compared to other scopes. It's a nice achro. I'd probably buy a few of the ES82s or ES68s at best, or even a nice selection of plossels/orthos (depends on tracking). This is a fine planetary/lunar scope. Down the road, I'd look for a light bucket (8+ dob)

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5700184 - 02/25/13 04:27 PM

Quote:

I would consider a larger refractor but my 90mm already measures 35" and can be a beast to move around as one piece. A shorter OTA length would be nice, I have considered the SCT and various other cats but I am not sure I want to go that route.

This... can be upgrade for your 90mmm and is a short FL (530mm, f/5) scope, only 26.6" in length. Will be good for wide angle imaging. Thx

steve-in-kville
sage

Re: Another scope or accessorize what I have? new [Re: mmalik]
      #5700386 - 02/25/13 06:43 PM

Once again, after some consideration of the opinions, I am gonna get more experience with what I have. I will be adding some EP's as well as upgrading my finder scope.

Thanks again.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5700465 - 02/25/13 07:37 PM

I would not throw money at that scope, if it performs well and you like it that is perfect. Trying a few eyepieces is a great idea, a really good eyepiece can last a lifetime.

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
Re: Another scope or accessorize what I have? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5700823 - 02/26/13 12:00 AM

Steve,

If you truly enjoy using the 90mm refractor and plan on keeping it, then you could consider upgrading your finder scope. The 6x30 that comes with it is just too small, IMO. You could put a 9x50 on it and have a nice finder that would definetly be easier to sight with. Adding a couple of better quality eyepieces is also something you could do as well.

Gary

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
      #5700897 - 02/26/13 01:37 AM

I don't know where you are in Pennsy, but if you have any access at all to darkish skies, you really might want to try a short refractor with more aperture for DSO observing. An achro like the Orion 120mm F/5 would add a lot to your arsenal without breaking the bank.

Rossmon
sage

Reged: 07/09/10

Loc: Marin County, CA
Re: Another scope or accessorize what I have? new [Re: watcher]
      #5700933 - 02/26/13 02:26 AM

I climbed the chain of scopes like many here. There is something to be said for the experience which typically costs more & more $$! As you can see in my sig, I am now up to the big bucks class of scopes.
I would recommend saving your dollars for a Mallincam video observation system. Better than expensive ep's, expensive telescopes period. Because better telescopes, better eps, yeah they all do some good, but you are still looking at a lot of faint fuzzies. Get a mallincam and all of a sudden you are looking at something closer to the real deal and in a light polluted environment.
In general accessories do enhance what you already have. So, Is what you have good enough to be enhanced!
Oh, 1morething, video is a lot easier than imaging.

Tophat3

Reged: 07/20/10

Loc: Columbus,Ohio
Re: Another scope or accessorize what I have? new [Re: watcher]
      #5700939 - 02/26/13 02:31 AM

Very good point and worth serious consideration. I think thats the direction i would take.

steve-in-kville
sage

Re: Another scope or accessorize what I have? [Re: Tophat3]
      #5701021 - 02/26/13 04:50 AM

So far, deep space hasn't been my thing. I enjoy lunar observing, planet hunting and the occassional man-made flying object. I also want to dip my toes into solar.

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 458

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics