Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/20/07

Sagittarius Star Cloud (East Portion)
      #5701056 - 02/26/13 06:35 AM Attachment (26 downloads)

While waiting for warmer weather and another opportunity to shoot the magnificent star clouds of summer I thought I would share an effort from last year.

Last June I shot a roll of Fuji Acros 100, composing shots of the brightest portions of the Milky Way. The inspiration came in part from the efforts of E.E. Barnard over 100 years ago. The combination of film and camera worked out quite well.

The area highlighted is the eastern portion of the Sagittarius Star Cloud with numerous details and markings from prominences and dark nebulae.

Shooting in b&w, while not as glamorous as color, produces amazing images reminiscent of the old days of glass plates and allows me to recapture in experience and results a touch of what the father of Milky Way photography, E.E. Barnard must have felt upon the discoveries he made.

July 9, 2012

Pentax 67 with 300 @ 5.6 30 minutes Fuji Acros standard development in Xtol.

1280x1024 version here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59003880/Sag-Star-Cloud.jpg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
Re: Sagittarius Star Cloud (East Portion) new [Re: Nightfly]
      #5701506 - 02/26/13 11:55 AM

Super! Glad to see you haven't become pure digitalist yet. Keep posting Nightfly. The forum needs more stuff like this!

Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sagittarius Star Cloud (East Portion) new [Re: Michal1]
      #5701619 - 02/26/13 12:53 PM

Thanks Michal. Although I have been trying some DSLR work, rumors of my departure from film are not true. I think I will be saving up for a new and better scanner as this is the limiting factor for me right now.

I hope to have a busy year with a whole set of new images.

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: Frostbite Falls
      #5706226 - 02/28/13 09:29 PM

I have to agree with you here Jim. It may not be as glam, however, the purity of the light provides a different perspective. The dark "Barnard" nebs are more prominent complimenting the star field. Strings of faint star just pop out vs hunting for them in the colour version. You know that faint string I'm talking about. M8 is special.

M4 - with no push - Acros at 30 minutes and 5.6 - no reciprocity issues that I can detect. It just sucks up the photons. Love the perspective of the 300 lens. Would be good for the MW mosaic. Just that extra bit compared to the 200 for those M objects.

Igor

Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Re: Sagittarius Star Cloud (East Portion) new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5730900 - 03/13/13 06:51 PM

For the brighter areas of the MW, Acros with 30 minute @ f/5.6 exposures is adequate. What a great film, but few seem to have the taste for B&W astrophotos. I think they are rather grand.

If anyone is looking at Messier 8 this summer, please do not ignore Barnard 86. With the Large Sagittarius Star Cloud lighting it up from behind, it looks like a three-dimensional ink blot that is simply amazing. Perhaps the best small dark nebula. It can be seen in the photo above embedded in the star cloud.

THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
      #5731021 - 03/13/13 08:06 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 669

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics