Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: Little Ceaser's Commercial gets a laugh new [Re: rmollise]
      #5708552 - 03/02/13 10:58 AM

Thanks for sharing that Toyota commercial. It puts our obscure hobby in a good light. A definite keeper.

Quote:

Quote:

Little or NO research was done!!!....can't an amateur astronomer get a little respect around here?!?!?

NO member of the public--not one--will notice the misbegotten position of the scope or the lantern. What they will notice is a father and son having fun watching the sky. AND this single silly little commercial will have more impact than any "accurate" PR the Astronomical League, for example, cooks up, I guar-ron-tee.

I still prefer Toyota's excellent "Camp Evening" star party spot, but this is cool.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Little Ceaser's Commercial gets a laugh new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #5711175 - 03/03/13 06:30 PM

Quote:

Our little hobby is so obsure. I recall reading accounts here on CN about dobsonians being mistaken for cannons. My SCT has been mistaken for a television camera, or as a searchlight.

One of our club members was observing with a 10" dobsonian after 9/11 and while he was observing he noticed a chain of police cars approaching with their lights on, and when they apprached him, they told him to lie face down on the ground. Apparently someone called saying there was a motar on the hill getting ready to fire down on the town. The police just laughed and joked with him looking through his telescope after they realised it was not a mortar at all and just a telescope.

Maintence groomers once asked if that was a cannon in the garage. I obliged and said "Yes, my hobby is being a human cannonball".
I just couldn't resist.

okieav8r
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Little Ceaser's Commercial gets a laugh new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5711734 - 03/03/13 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Our little hobby is so obsure. I recall reading accounts here on CN about dobsonians being mistaken for cannons. My SCT has been mistaken for a television camera, or as a searchlight.

One of our club members was observing with a 10" dobsonian after 9/11 and while he was observing he noticed a chain of police cars approaching with their lights on, and when they apprached him, they told him to lie face down on the ground. Apparently someone called saying there was a motar on the hill getting ready to fire down on the town. The police just laughed and joked with him looking through his telescope after they realised it was not a mortar at all and just a telescope.

Maintence groomers once asked if that was a cannon in the garage. I obliged and said "Yes, my hobby is being a human cannonball".
I just couldn't resist.

There have been a few times little kids have asked "what is that?", referring to my Obsession dobs. I tell them it's a cannon that we use to shoot misbehaving children out of.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1416

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics