Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cliff Nickels

Reged: 02/27/12

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece?
      #5704006 - 02/27/13 06:37 PM

I purchased a used 24mm Orion Stratus which arrived today! It was in great shape, however as I was examining the eyepiece I accidentally unscrewed the eyepiece along the central threading. This caused all of the elements, and what look like spacers, to fall out and plop onto my lap. Now I have absolutely no idea how to put it all back together cleanly.

I spoke to a rep from Orion. He told me they don't actually service their eyepieces, so that was a dead end. I also spoke to the owner of my nearest scope shop. He explained that in all probability it would take him hours of work and cost more than the eyepiece is actually worth to reassemble.

I keep telling myself that if only I had plans or instructions I could fix it myself. Is there anyone who can provide guidance, or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: Cliff Nickels]
      #5704015 - 02/27/13 06:42 PM

Maybe this might help.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/common_eyepiece_designs.htm

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
      #5704019 - 02/27/13 06:44 PM

Don't worry someone will have a diagram out here soon. This has happened before with other eyepieces. Just make sure when you reassemble it that you carefully clean each lens of fingerprints and dust, or you my be taking it apart and reassembling it again.

Lane
Post Laureate

Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: Lane]
      #5704036 - 02/27/13 06:49 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

The Baader Hyperions are supposed to be the same as the Orion Stratus. Here is a small diagram of the Hyperion.

Lane
Post Laureate

#5704043 - 02/27/13 06:53 PM

If you have trouble lowering the lenses into the body, try using one of those suction cup darts from a toy dart gun.

Cliff Nickels

#5704056 - 02/27/13 07:04 PM

Quote:

If you have trouble lowering the lenses into the body, try using one of those suction cup darts from a toy dart gun.

Thanks for the info and glimmer of hope! I might try the dart trick. I typically use powderless latex gloves if I have to handle things like filters to get the smudges out, which I think works really well.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5704078 - 02/27/13 07:22 PM

Here is another (cause you can use the dart and lower it into the casing, but how do you now loosen the dart):

Take the rubber end of a dart and drill a hole in it. Fit the dart with the hole onto a syringe; place the dart on the lens and draw back on the plunger; hold back the plunger and lift the lens into the eyepiece; once in place, release the plunger. I would reccomend a 3 or 5cc syringe. You can get them at any pharmacy. Guess in a pinch you could use an meat injector syringe).

If one is really Rube Goldberg inclined, you could replace the syringe with a small vacumme pump.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5704081 - 02/27/13 07:23 PM

Oh, and no need for an EKG, you're heart's just fine.....

Cliff Nickels

#5704521 - 02/27/13 11:32 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

I think that Hyperion diagram might be for a different focal length, or maybe just a stylized rendition. Either way, the diagram doesn't seem to match the pieces I have. I've been trying to piece it back together just to see if can get them to fit at all. I get close, but each time I try to close it up, the elements collapse down. It's frustrating

Lane
Post Laureate

#5704704 - 02/28/13 02:42 AM

I just checked and that diagram is the 24mm Hyperion which should be the same as the 24mm Stratus. I am not positive, but that is what everyone always says on this site that the Status and the Hyperion have the same lenses.

I know it looks like 6 lenses in the diagram but the top 2 and bottom 2 are probably cemented. So there are only 4 lenses just like you have there on your sheet of paper. Just try to match the curves with the diagram as best you can. The diagram probably exaggerates the curves so don't let that throw you off.

With the 21mm the combination of the lenses and spacers would only work one certain way, so it could not be assembled wrong.

In regard to the dart:
I was able to use a small rubber dart to lower the lenses into the 21mm Hyperion and then just used a popsicle stick to push on the edge to pry it loose. Then I used a lint free lens swab and some Windex to clear off the marks left behind.

tubehead999
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/25/08

Loc: Kennesaw, GA
      #5704938 - 02/28/13 09:09 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

I did that one time...on purpose...dust between the elements....the eyepiece is basically an Erfle , if I recall.....try this as a baseline..careful..easy to chip an edge.

cjc
sage

Reged: 10/15/10

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: tubehead999]
      #5704971 - 02/28/13 09:30 AM

They will not collapse down if correct so you need to find how they fit. Even then you will be left with multiple arrangements. The wrong ones will not come to a focus and this can most easily be determined by viewing an artificial star.

The way to lower lenses into a casing is to support the lenses from below towards the top of the casing, with a piece of dowel or similar (I use a felt-tip marker) and then raise the casing around the lens. This way the lenses cannot flip or jam.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: cjc]
      #5704993 - 02/28/13 09:41 AM

and the field len's connected to the crown glass,
the crown glass connected to the flint glass,
the flint glass is connected to No glass;
CAUSE THEIR ALL LYING IN MY LAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a bummer day............

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
      #5705127 - 02/28/13 11:19 AM

Quote:

I think that Hyperion diagram might be for a different focal length, or maybe just a stylized rendition. Either way, the diagram doesn't seem to match the pieces I have.

The diagram in _not_ for a 24mm Hyperion, since that doesn't have the last field negative doublet in the 1.25" part. That's a generic 'Hyperion' image that is only more or less correct for the range up to 17mm (and if my memory serves me right, that's the 17mm).

Apart from that it _is_ more or less similar: on top are the two plane-conves central lenses (that just touch with the correct spacer in between) and then you have three cemented doublets: the field doublet and two convex/concave groups.

It's not exactly identical, though.

sixela
Postmaster

Reged: 12/23/04

Loc: Boechout, Belgium
Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: sixela]
      #5705155 - 02/28/13 11:33 AM

It'd be easier to tell which is which if you also measured the lens group diameters to tell us which were wider or narrower, the diameters of the spacers (and also told us what was a spacer and what was a lens group, it's not clear from the picture) and also tried to describe the lens radii (flantess and convex/concave) for all the faces, possibly also with a side picture of the lenses.

How many groups do you have, how many spacers, and which of the groups appear to be (usually thick) cemented doublets?

tubehead999
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/25/08

Loc: Kennesaw, GA
      #5705532 - 02/28/13 03:12 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

All good suggestions...you may want to step back and breathe deep.....and assemble the eyepiece outside of the barrel, mask it up with tape and test it , then disassemble and remount it ...knowing it is correct.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: tubehead999]
      #5705546 - 02/28/13 03:21 PM

Use the eyepiece as a 1X Stratus? 100% of the light passes thru, no glare or other abberations, sharp to the edge...just like the ad says!

Did a quick search, there's no diagrams or schematics available.....

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5706004 - 02/28/13 07:08 PM

If you look at the Hyperion drawing and subtract the small lens in the bottom barrel (not present in the 24mm), you''l see 4 groups.
Using that as a guide, you should be able to reassemble the eyepiece on top of a small plactic tube or block, with the bottom lens first and then stack them up, without a barrel.
Then, lower the outer barrel over the lens stack until all are in the large barrel.
Pick up the eyepiece with the block or tube the lenses are sitting on and flip it over.
Rethread the bottom into the eyepiece and don't unscrew it again.
Don't overtighten the barrel or you might hear a crunch of glass breaking.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Reassembling a Orion Stratus Wide-Field Eyepiece? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5706091 - 02/28/13 07:53 PM

Orion is proud to announce the newest in it's line of eyepiece optics....Save 10's if not 100's of dollars! All our eyepieces will now be available loose in a baggie....PUT IT TOGETHER YOURSELF AND SAVE!

(In order to make this offer affordable, no instructions were created, not responsible for any breakage, accident, or injury, no returns)

robininni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: Stephenville, TX
      #5706447 - 03/01/13 12:04 AM

Quote:

Orion is proud to announce the newest in it's line of eyepiece optics....Save 10's if not 100's of dollars! All our eyepieces will now be available loose in a baggie....PUT IT TOGETHER YOURSELF AND SAVE!

(In order to make this offer affordable, no instructions were created, not responsible for any breakage, accident, or injury, no returns)

Haha, that's hilarious!

Ah... I feel for the OP, but as I've had a few glasses of wine before posting this, I admit I giggled about his dilema. I mean... its really sort of funny in that not so funny way: New EP... just got it.... looking at it.... decides to unscrew something that is young and willing... and then... BAM! SHTF! His joy becomes instant gloom and all of the sudden overwhelming despair sets in as his new eye piece becomes multiple puzzle pieces that shouldn't be even exposed to the 'outside' all sitting in his lap in random order. Ah... that sucks.

I hope you are able to piece it back together. Dang Orion... "we don't actually service the stuff we sell..."

Rob

Edited by robininni (03/01/13 12:05 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
32 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1111

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics