Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: gramaglia]
      #6019402 - 08/11/13 05:30 PM

You will need to rebalance for best performance. After crossing the Meridian, you will no longer be slightly east heavy, which is recommended. That might not matter, or it might.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
      #6019480 - 08/11/13 06:36 PM

Quote:

4 photos taken with setup listed in above post.

These are incredible images! They give me courage to try imaging myself. Until now I have only observed visually. From September, I shall have an old Takahashi CN-212 on a ZEQ25 to experiment with.

Heinz

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6019574 - 08/11/13 07:33 PM

Thanks Rod, I didn't think of the slight east heavy, which I should have, since I was using the same principle on my fork mounted SCT to keep the gears engaged but instead just tried to get as balance neutral as I could. I might try it with my EQ mount as well in the future but the idea of messing around with balancing in pitch dark doesn't appeal to me at the moment (I suspect I might do more harm than good)

Muntz
journeyman

Reged: 07/29/10

Loc: Brooklin, ON
      #6023525 - 08/13/13 05:22 PM

I purchased a ZEQ25 last week as a portable companion to my EQ6 for a week long trip to a cottage on Byng Inlet in Ontario.

The mount has exceeded my expectations so far. It is incredible how light and small this mount is. A big change from the EQ6 I've been imaging with since I started a year ago. I haven't really loaded it up yet as I only have my C80ED with me. Tracking has been fairly accurate and with guiding it is almost perfect.

I did have an issue with getting the various software I use (Stellarium, AstroTortilla, BackyardEOS) to share the ASCOM connection to the ZEQ25 (with EQMOD you don't need to use an ASCOM Hub) and once I figured that out I've run into an issue with the Serial-to-USB cable causing a BSOD. If I close AstroTortilla and Stellarium after framing, it works fine. I'll be looking into buying a Keyspan adapter to replace the Prolific one I have now.

I also have an out-of-focus polarscope. It is usuable; but, the reticle is very out of focus. I'll tackle that issue when I get back home.

Here is the image I captured with it on the first night:

IC 1805 - Heart Nebula by jstrickland328, on Flickr

and from the second night:

NGC 7000 - North America Nebula by jstrickland328, on Flickr

Images were taken with:

Celestron C80 ED
William Optics FFII (0.8X)
iOptron ZEQ25 (ASCOM)
Canon T3 (full spectrum mod)
Astronomics CLS-CCD
Autoguided SSAG w/ 50mm Mini Guidescope
BackyardEOS v3.0

The Heart Nebula was done with 360 second subs and the North America Nebula with 600 second subs. I can't get much over 180 second subs in my backyard so I'm in love with the dark sky up here. One thing I didn't account for was the dew we've been experiencing. My big battery box and dew removal system is at home. It has limited my imaging window significantly. My second night out I was dewed out by midnight.

I can't wait for Southern Stars to re-add support for the ZEQ25 to SkySafari for the iPad and I'll have the perfect portable imaging setup that will rival my EQ6 at a third of the weight. It will be perfect for car camping trips and other vacations.

Joe

Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Muntz]
      #6023664 - 08/13/13 06:19 PM

Very nice Joe, thank you for sharing. It's always encourating to see others with this mount so successful with imaging.

Have you thought about trying the 100ED or your AT8 for imaging?

Muntz
journeyman

Reged: 07/29/10

Loc: Brooklin, ON
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6023890 - 08/13/13 08:24 PM

On the ZEQ25? Not yet. I had limited space to bring gear on this trip and didn't get a chance to use the ZEQ25 at home yet. I have a couple images on my Flickr account taken with the 100ED. The AT8IN I've had out once since I got it and had an issue with focusing. It turns out I needed an extension tube for some reason.

The past year has been about learning the technical aspects of astrophotography. Some nights I go out and don't even capture anything; it is just about learning something new. It took me a couple of nights to get auto guiding working, a night to figure out collimating the C8 and I spent a couple of nights playing with Astrotortilla. I'm now going to start getting serious about imaging.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Muntz]
      #6024158 - 08/13/13 11:06 PM

Quote:

I can't wait for Southern Stars to re-add support for the ZEQ25 to SkySafari for the iPad and I'll have the perfect portable imaging setup that will rival my EQ6 at a third of the weight. It will be perfect for car camping trips and other vacations.

Hi Joe,

I just wanted to 'make your day'. Just heard from iOtpron that the Z mount and the Smart EQ mounts will be supported in the next update of Sky Safari. Turned out to be a timing issue that was sorted out, and now it works fine.

Great images too by the way, grats. I fear you will be using the EQ6 less and less, the more you use the ZEQ25..:)

Best,

Paul

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6024273 - 08/14/13 12:22 AM

Very nice images Joe. I hope that when you get a chance to test the AT 8" Newtonian you post some images and relay your opinion on it's possibility of being mounted on the ZEQ25 for astrophotography. I currently having a lot of fun with the AT72 ED but will be looking in the near future for a telescope in the 800-1000 FL range. A fast Newtonian seems a perfect fit as I am sucker for low focal ratios (I use my AT72ed with the AT .8X focal reducer/flattener).

ekallgren

Reged: 12/23/11

Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno
      #6024996 - 08/14/13 12:25 PM

I'm ready to take the plunge and order my mount. The question I have is the 2 inch tripod option worth the extra $100?
I have a 8" SCT and a ES, AR102 that I will be using.
I know that it will weigh a bit more but I don't see that as a limiting factor.
Any input would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Eric

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ekallgren]
      #6025186 - 08/14/13 01:53 PM

Eric,

If there is any doubt, I'd go with the 2" tripod for $100 extra. If you don't and decide you need it later, the cost of the tripod alone is about $200. If you are not doing any AP, the 1.5" tripod should be fine. For AP, I'd want all the help I could get.

ekallgren

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6025213 - 08/14/13 02:08 PM

Thanks Mike,
I do plan on doing some AP so I will order mine with the 2 inch option.
Thanks for the nudge.
Eric

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6025539 - 08/14/13 04:51 PM

Quote:

If you are not doing any AP, the 1.5" tripod should be fine. For AP, I'd want all the help I could get.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I am new to imaging.

What is AP?

Thanks
Heinz

ekallgren

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6025556 - 08/14/13 04:57 PM

Heinz, AP = Astrophotography.

Eric

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ekallgren]
      #6026594 - 08/15/13 07:29 AM

In this context, it is astrophotography. But, when referring to a particular mount it is sometimes be used as an abbreviation for the Astro-Physics company.

-Dan

saga01

Reged: 09/20/08

Loc: Kansas City, MO
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #6027801 - 08/15/13 06:29 PM

Reading the post in this thread I get the impression that users of the ZEQ25 are getting good tracking and goto performance with a one star alignment. Over on the AVX threads individuals seem to always indicate best performance with a 2 + 4 star alignment. Does the ZEQ have a better modeling system that allows this? Thanks for the help; just trying to decide which to purchase as an upgrade from my CG5.

Mike

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: saga01]
      #6028052 - 08/15/13 09:10 PM

a 1-star alignment will never be as accurate at pointing than a 2+4 or other multi-star.

however if you are perfectly (or close to perfectly) polar-aligned, then 1-star is enough. the multi-star alignment corrects for other mount errors like cone error.

that said AP (the brand) mounts only do 1-star.

tracking is only dependent on your gear quality and how good your polar alignment is, so whether the initial alignment was 1-star, 2, or more, has no effect on tracking.

which reminds me... what is the weight of the ZEQ25? is it less than a Vixen GP? i'm thinking of a lightweight mount for those times when even the AP is too large. instead of trawling for used non-GoTo small Taks (which cost way more than the ZEQ25) I might consider this one..

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: orlyandico]
      #6028378 - 08/16/13 12:53 AM

I can say for sure the ZEQ25 is lighter then the CG5. Under the assumption the VixenGP is similar weight I would suspect the answer is yes again for that.

Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

#6028380 - 08/16/13 12:55 AM

Orly, mount is 10 lbs. and tripod is another 11 lbs, without counterweights.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6028613 - 08/16/13 06:36 AM

Wow. Seems there's no need to bother with the small premium mounts. But I told myself no more Chinese...

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #6038481 - 08/21/13 02:42 PM Attachment (43 downloads)

For those users with the ZEQ that are guiding with it, I found out something interesting last night. Full moon, so imaging was futile except for clusters from my location.

I took advantage of the cosmic spotlight to do some PHD exploration. I had been wanting to try the Lowpass Filter setting in the main menu. This setting didn't work in the early versions of PHD, according to guides I've read.

I think it's working now, I was getting some DEC drift above and below the centerline, using the Resist Switch setting. Switched it over to Low Pass filtering and with the same guide star and PHD settings, the result was obvious and instant. The DEC graph straightened right out, no more dec drift at all?

So, if you're guiding with the ZEQ, I would encourage you to try this DEC setting to see if it improves your DEC graph.

Cheer all,

Paul

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | >> (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55344

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics