Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)
cloudywest

Reged: 06/15/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ekallgren]
      #6093880 - 09/21/13 05:55 PM

Quote:

Yep Mike, the power light is lit when I go to slew left, right, up, or down the hand controller says it's is slewing but the motors don't do anything then when I release the arrow button it says stop. Just bad luck, I don't think I going to win the power ball this week either.

And I will have to ship it back to OPT. I'm just bummed because the smoke from all the forest fires has cleared.

Eric

Eric,
Did you change the slew speed? If it was at 1X, you might not notice the movement when it actually did. If you did not see any error message, it most likely was the case.
Jimmy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6094877 - 09/22/13 11:24 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

My dealer manufactured an counterweight extension shaft for me. How cool is that! So, here is the final and now perfectly balanced setup with the extension and the PowerWeight battery pack. This pack is another smart move by iOptron.

Heinz

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6094895 - 09/22/13 11:33 AM

That's a great looking setup Heinz, the extension shaft is perfect.

Cheers,

Paul

Ryuno
sage

#6094901 - 09/22/13 11:37 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

And this is the "home made" extension shaft.

I am asking myself, if I could attach another extension rod and thus reach balance with the PowerWeight alone. The OTA is about 9 kg, the PowerWeight is 4 kg, so the lever has to be rather long!

What do you think? Would this be possible?

Ryuno
sage

#6094954 - 09/22/13 12:10 PM

A little off topic. This is the latest purchase for my astronomy class.
A great tool to explain the solar system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpEQZ5S-hgc

Heinz

RandyC

Reged: 04/01/13

#6095212 - 09/22/13 03:11 PM

Hi, I hear the longer shaft puts more strain on the motors than a shorter shaft with more weight. I am not sure I would extend it too much, as you are doing something they haven't designed. It should be ok as long as your payload is a couple pounds below the maximum.
Clear Skies, RandyC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaxygardens

tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6095332 - 09/22/13 04:27 PM

Hi all,

tonight I was doing some in-house testing with the mount when I found out a bad surprise.
After turning on the mount I simulated a slew to Kochab, then the movement stopped and the mount started tracking.
The bad thing was that the motors made an awful noise because the normal tracking sound was mixed with the crosstalk noise.
I tried to stop the crosstalk by quickly pushing the directional buttons but to my surprise I found out that the noise was coming from both motors and it was almost impossible to identify if and when the crosstalk had stopped from which motor.
I had to stop the tracking and after a lot of trying I managed to stop the crosstalk too.
One time I couldn't even stop the crosstalk noise at all and I had to turn off the mount!
I'm afraid this is something that seriously affects the correct use of the mount, can you imagine all this mess during a photo session?
What should I do now? Should I contact the support? Should I return the mount? Does anybody have any advice on how to handle this problem?

Thanks.
Piero

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: tango13]
      #6095384 - 09/22/13 04:56 PM

Piero,

I think I'd contact iOptron customer support as soon as possible. You may get a answer here but it won't hurt to have iOptron weigh in on the issue also.

cloudywest

Reged: 06/15/13

#6095567 - 09/22/13 06:50 PM

Quote:

And this is the "home made" extension shaft.

This looks identical to the extension bar for ZEQ25 at ioptron web site, under the accessories/counterweight. part # 7126.
Dimensions:
Diameter: 20mm
Net Length: 7.25 inches
Length (including threads): 7.75 inches

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: cloudywest]
      #6095588 - 09/22/13 07:07 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

Quote:

One time I couldn't even stop the crosstalk noise at all and I had to turn off the mount!
I'm afraid this is something that seriously affects the correct use of the mount, can you imagine all this mess during a photo session?

That would (will) definitely ruin a photo session. Not a big problem if a stab at the #2 slew button stops it, but if it won't stop, you're stuck with viewing visually, and putting up with a lot of annoying noise to boot.

Attached is a screen shot of the crosstalk when it occurs during guiding, in this case it was coming from the DEC motor.

Contact iOptron, they're probably working on a fix..

Cheers,

Paul

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: cloudywest]
      #6095610 - 09/22/13 07:23 PM

Thank you for pointing out the extension shaft made by iOptron themselves. I was not aware of it. My "home made" one is actually shorter (15 cm) at double the price. Next time I'll definitely order the iOptron version.
Heinz

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6095686 - 09/22/13 08:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That would (will) definitely ruin a photo session. Not a big problem if a stab at the #2 slew button stops it, but if it won't stop, you're stuck with viewing visually, and putting up with a lot of annoying noise to boot.

Attached is a screen shot of the crosstalk when it occurs during guiding, in this case it was coming from the DEC motor.

Contact iOptron, they're probably working on a fix..

Cheers,

Paul

Being new to AP, and with my ZEQ arriving WED, I am now worried. Not because I'm afraid of getting a one off, but more so because I don't think I'd know if i did have one. What is this cross talk ive seen mentioned a few times?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6095795 - 09/22/13 09:21 PM

Sean,

Don't worry too much! Everyone I've seen that had any problem with their z25 ended up having the problem fixed. Worse case I've seen is having to exchange the mount. Most problems have been fixed with a little input from users here or on the Yahoo iOptron group or through iOptron's excellent customer service. If you had paid $2,000 for a new mount, you wouldn't still be running a risk of an initial problem. I guess that the more you pay the less likely problems are but they can come up even on a $10,000 mount.

Mike

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6095829 - 09/22/13 09:34 PM

I guess you get what you pay for. I don't mean that in a bad way. I think the issues with both the ZEQ and AVX are about the same proportion, which obviously is exaggerated being that this forum is a very small sampling. But yes, I imagine there are fewer problems with AP GT1100s. Still cant wait for Wednesday. I downloaded the 1.99 ioptron polar alignment ap. That will help magnitudes.

Edited by Seanem44 (09/22/13 09:36 PM)

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6096097 - 09/23/13 12:27 AM

Seaman, like Mike said I wouldn't worry either. My mount had a broken on/off switch when I first got it. Called Ioptron and they immediately sent me a new mainboard with a good on off switch took the best part of 2 minutes to change. I think we must consider the fact we are still on the first production run of a radical new design and some production problems are bound to occur. The only issue is how the company is handling these problems: so far beside my problem it seems Ioptron has handled them all with great customer care.
On a side note. Just got a new OTA for longer focal length imaging to go along with my AT72ed, a F4.8 152mm ES mak Newtonian (total imaging weight on the mount about 20lbs) and the PHD graph is the same as with my 72ed. Not sure it's even perfectly balanced being a Newtonian with the focuser a bit to the side. Really looks like you can get the full mount capacity while imaging with this mount instead of the 1/2 2/3 rule.

tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: gramaglia]
      #6096207 - 09/23/13 02:43 AM

Hi all and thanks for your advice and help.
I just sent iOptron support an email describing the problem, let's see what they come up with.
I'll keep you posted.

Ciao.
Piero

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: gramaglia]
      #6096234 - 09/23/13 03:26 AM

Quote:

Just got a new OTA for longer focal length imaging to go along with my AT72ed, a F4.8 152mm ES mak Newtonian

Is your new MakNewt the Comet Catcher? That is a sweet looking OTA. Let us know how you like it. I'm waiting on a 125mm F/3.8 Schmidt Newt that should be in next week.

Mike

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6096291 - 09/23/13 06:34 AM

i just ordered one!! i hope there are no problems

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: boandpokey]
      #6096502 - 09/23/13 09:54 AM

Quote:

Really looks like you can get the full mount capacity while imaging with this mount instead of the 1/2 2/3 rule.

That is absolutely correct based on my experience with the "Z-Balanced" design. You can take all the pre-conceived notions we grew up with over the years, and toss them out the window.

This mount's payload capacity is actually a bit under-rated from the factory. The RA and DEC boards are marked 'EQ28', so iOptron has already dropped the design capacity one pound, probably to minimize competition with it's excellent iEQ30 GEM mount.

You cannot compare a GEM to a CEM. CEM = Chinese Equatorial Mount. Future mounts of this design, will probably be marketed with the 'CEM' description, it's just a better solution all around.

I think if I filled my AT10RC with concrete, with sufficient counterweights, the mount would still function as long as the loads were balanced.....

Just my humble opinion,

Paul

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6096830 - 09/23/13 01:23 PM

cant wait to get mine.. just printed the manual and quick start guide. itll be coupled with a skywatcher 100. and ill have an 8" edge for the SCT.. Im excited

Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55308

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics