Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | >> (show all)
gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6097021 - 09/23/13 03:48 PM

Yes it is the Explore scientific comet hunter, so far it both exceeded my expectations and disappointed me. The OTA is really well built with a very nice focuser. The rings, dovetail and dust cover on the other hand seem to be much lower quality. The main issue I have with it at the moment is the fact the telescope cannot be perfectly collimated. The secondary mirror cannot not move back far enough towards the corrector plate to be centered in the focuser. I called ES and they are aware of this issue and are sending me a new secondary with attachment screw that will allow it to get an additional 1/4" near the corrector plate. I would strongly suggest anyone interested in this OTA (which I think is a great match for the ZEQ25 for 750-1000mm FL imaging) to check the collimation at the store before taking it home.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: gramaglia]
      #6097089 - 09/23/13 04:21 PM

Wow! I would have expected better than that from ES... especially for that money. Hope the new mirror gets you going. It sure is a pretty scope.

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6098463 - 09/24/13 01:14 PM

Mewlon 250 and ZEQ25

This OTA, which I am expecting in October, is at the limit of the load capacity of the ZEQ25. Still, I am hoping to do some AP with this combo. Do you think this is realistic, or should I rather wait for a more beefy version of the ZEQ25?

I find the ZEQ25 attractive, because it is still train portable, if necessary. That's why I would actually prefer not to use a heavier mount, if possible.
But in this case I might use the 2" tripod instead of the 1.5". Do you think the 2" tripod would make a noticeable difference for visual and/or imaging? The 1.5" tripod appears to me rather sturdy already. But this is difficult for me to judge, because I have no experience with neither the Mewlon 250 nor AP.

Heinz

P.s. We have already reached page 23. This must be one of the most active, lively and enduring threads of all time. Congratulations, Paul.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6098612 - 09/24/13 02:21 PM

Quote:

This OTA, which I am expecting in October, is at the limit of the load capacity of the ZEQ25. Still, I am hoping to do some AP with this combo. Do you think this is realistic, or should I rather wait for a more beefy version of the ZEQ25?

It's realistic Heinz, and for train portability, it's excellent. The 2" tripod will add some stiffness, and allow easier access to the polar scope due to its increased height, but at a weight and size penalty.

A 'more beefy' version will probably appear before December, but I'm sure it will not be as portable, and convenient to use as the ZEQ25.

I'm figuring the next iteration will be in the 25 pound range, just for the mount? With tripod and counterweights, that would be a hassle on a train for sure.

Page 23? No, I think one of the longest was on the iEQ45 when it intro'd, now that was a long thread....:)

All the best,

Paul

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6098639 - 09/24/13 02:38 PM

I get mine tomorrow.....

Clear skies are in the forecast.

How accurate is polar allignment through the polar scope with one star alignment? I'd love to take some quick exposure just to test it out. would 30-60 seconds be reasonable if the alignment is good?

I've been reading the instruction book and it seems the polar alignment section is leaving out a few pieces.

I am a little confused about the return your scope to zero part.

Also, I imagine an illuminated reticle would probably aid in a more exact polar alignment during the one star allignment portion?

How much refinement is usually needed after this for an accurate polar allignment?

I've never had a GEM, or CEM as is it, before. I've also never had to accuratley polar allign.

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6098703 - 09/24/13 03:14 PM

Hi Paul, thanks for your advice. Does this in effect mean that you think it would basically be unnecessary to get the 2" tripod for the Mewlon? That would be nice. Including the mounting rings and eyepieces/diagonal/camera/binoviewer the total weight will most probably come to be around 16 kg/35 lbs.
And how about wind? The OTA is rather extended. Any experiences or opinions here?

When all equipment has arrived and has been mounted, I will thus probably have three ZEQ25! World record so far?

Have a good week.
Heinz

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6098909 - 09/24/13 05:08 PM

Heinz,

Can you used the tripod without the legs extended or extended very little? I haven't had any problems with the 1.5" legs but I keep it retracted just about all the way. But my hardware is only about 15kg.

If the mount is going to work with your kit, I'd want the 2" legs. I assume you have to buy it as a second tripod? If so, give it a go with the current one and see how it does. I'll be interested in how you do with that much weight and focal length. Keep us posted.

Mike

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6098965 - 09/24/13 05:29 PM

My mount developed a self inflicted issue, tracks perfectly for 9:55 and skips a beat . The issue occurred after I accidently hit the OTA and it rotated quite a few degrees while in the locked position. Called Ioptron at the suggestion of Paul, again amazing service from them sending me instruction on how to repair the issue (they think it could be as simple as the spring loader being off), otherwise they will send me a new gear.
I'm writing this to let you know of a potential small issue with the mount if accidently hit with the drives locked. Might not be an issue for most people as they are not as great a klutz as myself.
On a "positive" note since I was taking 5 minute frames every other frame was near perfect.

Hunlon

Reged: 09/19/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6099055 - 09/24/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

I get mine tomorrow.....

Clear skies are in the forecast.

How accurate is polar allignment through the polar scope with one star alignment? I'd love to take some quick exposure just to test it out. would 30-60 seconds be reasonable if the alignment is good?

I've been reading the instruction book and it seems the polar alignment section is leaving out a few pieces.

I am a little confused about the return your scope to zero part.

Also, I imagine an illuminated reticle would probably aid in a more exact polar alignment during the one star allignment portion?

How much refinement is usually needed after this for an accurate polar allignment?

I've never had a GEM, or CEM as is it, before. I've also never had to accuratley polar allign.

Hi Sean,

I've had my ZEQ25-GT for a couple of months now but have only been able to get it out a few times - I can't seem to convince the clouds to stay away!

Anyway, you should expect to get within 0.1 degree of NCP using the polar scope. You only need to use the polar scope alignment procedure if you have a view of the Pole star. If you are not using an auto-guider you should get reasonable results from 30 second exposures using your AT65EDQ which has a focal length of 420mm. Be aware that the ZEQ25 does not have a specified maximum Periodic Error - I have only seen PE results after guiding which are very good and the word from iOptron support is that there was no designed maximum PE rating. I have measured mine using PECPREP and found it to be about 65 arc seconds peak to peak. Even with that, 30 second exposures with 420mm should be okay. If, however, you plan to use an auto-guider, you should expect the PE to drop below 8 arc seconds. Paul has a few screen shots and a YouTube video of his mount doing just that while guiding with PHD.

If you are the recipient of a good sample you will be less restrained by PE and your unguided images may benefit from better polar alignment - this is where learning how to drift align your mount will help.

Good luck and clear skies,
Hunlon.

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6099073 - 09/24/13 06:30 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

mmmhhhwahahahah

anat
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/03/04

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6099119 - 09/24/13 06:52 PM

So far, what is the cause and solution suggested by iOptron regarding the crosstalk noise issue? Can it be repaired by a user?

Edited by anat (09/24/13 09:55 PM)

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
      #6099130 - 09/24/13 06:56 PM

I have the model 7101 arriving thursday and it doesnt come with an illuminated polar scope?

cloudywest

Reged: 06/15/13

#6099180 - 09/24/13 07:29 PM

No kidding! C11? It is about 30 lbs. The CW is cool. I have similar weight in the basement, will try some day.

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: cloudywest]
      #6099237 - 09/24/13 07:59 PM

Sky at Night just reviewed the Z and have it 4/5 in every category. They seemed to like it a lot and called the design revolutionary.

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6099267 - 09/24/13 08:18 PM

Quote:

Heinz,

Can you used the tripod without the legs extended or extended very little? I haven't had any problems with the 1.5" legs but I keep it retracted just about all the way. But my hardware is only about 15kg.

If the mount is going to work with your kit, I'd want the 2" legs. I assume you have to buy it as a second tripod? If so, give it a go with the current one and see how it does. I'll be interested in how you do with that much weight and focal length. Keep us posted.

Mike

Yes, the mount for the Mewlon would be the second or rather the third one, so I have enough time to try it with the present 1.5"legs. It should be no problem to use the legs fully retracted, at least for imaging.
I am looking very much forward to the Mewlon. Due to arrive mid-end October. It's in the making at the factory not too far from my home.

Heinz

Ryuno
sage

#6099271 - 09/24/13 08:21 PM

Quote:

mmmhhhwahahahah

Impressive albeit a little scary setup. How does it work for imaging?
It gives me more courage to try the Mewlon 250 on this mount.
Heinz

ekallgren

Reged: 12/23/11

Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno
      #6099288 - 09/24/13 08:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep Mike, the power light is lit when I go to slew left, right, up, or down the hand controller says it's is slewing but the motors don't do anything then when I release the arrow button it says stop. Just bad luck, I don't think I going to win the power ball this week either.

And I will have to ship it back to OPT. I'm just bummed because the smoke from all the forest fires has cleared.

Eric

Eric,
Did you change the slew speed? If it was at 1X, you might not notice the movement when it actually did. If you did not see any error message, it most likely was the case.
Jimmy

Jimmy thanks for the tip but I tried everything the Dec and the RA motors just don't go around......

Well I also have an update to share, got the new mount from OPT today put it together and it has 2 error messages.
No DEC connection and No RA connection.

Called OPT and they will call me back tomorrow.
Again I will give another update as soon as I hear something......

Ah $^^t

Eric

cloudywest

Reged: 06/15/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ekallgren]
      #6099301 - 09/24/13 08:42 PM

No DEC and RA connection? Did you connect the cable to DEC and RA?

ekallgren

Reged: 12/23/11

Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno
      #6099307 - 09/24/13 08:47 PM

I did it is setup correctly, I'm just having nothing but bad luck... But I'm not done trying. I like the design of this mount. I will keep trying as long as they keep sending me new ones....

Eric

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ekallgren]
      #6099493 - 09/24/13 11:00 PM

@ Randy, you are a crazy man, I like that. Please let us know how that works for you....:) You may be setting a new world's record for payload on a 10 pound mount...:)

Cheers,

Paul

Pages: << 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | >> (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 62224

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics