Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)
RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6099661 - 09/25/13 01:06 AM

Paul, It went surprisingly well. I will have some video still images tomorrow. I shimmed the ota. The C-11 needed to be shimmed in the front while my C-8 needed rear shimming. You really have to crank the alt tightening knob to get it to stay. Otherwise the mount falls out of position and the shimming is all for naught. My gotos were pretty good. In conjunction with nudging from Starry Night, I was able to get every object, mostly galaxies. It seemed the closer to the pole I went, the more out of the fov objects were. I am not sure why that is.

In terms of guiding, it's beautiful just using the SSAG 50mm. Easier than the C-8. Maybe it's balanced better I am not sure.

I would estimate the C-11 ota and accessories weighs 32lbs. I have 35lbs counterweights. By putting a single 25lb weight at the very bottom, I saved having to use another 5lb.

I am very impressed with how steady the mount holds. There is little bouncing around of the ota when moving from object to object. I am hesitant to get the extension arm for fear the mount will tip over when I take off the ota.

Clear Skies, RandyC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6099692 - 09/25/13 02:12 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

Quote:

You really have to crank the alt tightening knob to get it to stay.

Actually, iOptron should have had something like this, which can be tightened with a allen wrench if necessary for really heavy loads.

I find that if I polar align with the ota mounted and balanced, little pressure is necessary to maintain alt position, most of the play is taken up in the threaded alt screw anyway?

As far as tipping over, as long as the counterweight shaft is over the front (north) leg, it's pretty stable even with 35+ pounds of counterweights on it.

Thanks for the update, very interesting.

Regards,

Paul

Edited by Astronewb (09/25/13 02:12 AM)

RandyC
sage

#6100172 - 09/25/13 11:33 AM Attachment (38 downloads)

Paul, Did you make those knobs? I would love to get a couple if you sell them! The first 9 video integrations posted on Flickr are from last night. Had to use the UHC filter due to rising moon.

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6100963 - 09/25/13 05:49 PM

if I could ask.I have this mount arriving tomorrow along with a skywatcher 100 ed refractor. its a 10# scope. is the included counter weight enough for this scope or do I need to get another weight?

ekallgren

Reged: 12/23/11

Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno
      #6100967 - 09/25/13 05:51 PM

Last Update:

I sent the mount back for a refund. minus shipping of course.
That's it ..

Eric

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6101000 - 09/25/13 06:07 PM

The included counterweight should be enough if you don't put another 10 pounds of accessories on it. A second counterweight would allow you to keep the CWs closer to the mount.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6101004 - 09/25/13 06:08 PM

Looks like the 7101 is the part number for the mount without the polar scope.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ekallgren]
      #6101008 - 09/25/13 06:10 PM

Eric,

Boy that sucks! Can't blame you after 2 different problems with 2 mounts. Good luck with your next mount.

Mike

ekallgren

Reged: 12/23/11

Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6101025 - 09/25/13 06:24 PM

Thanks Mike,
I hope that I took all the problems out of the current inventory.
Not sure what to do now. I may just wait awhile and reorder. I still like this mount design.

Eric

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ekallgren]
      #6101057 - 09/25/13 06:40 PM

Eric,

I know it would be difficult to keep going down the same road after 2 defective mounts but there are a lot of happy users out there. There have been a lot of initial problems with the mount but once you get everything straight it's a nice one for the money. I got one because of the weight. With a counterweight it weighs the same as the tripod for my LX80. I like the performance but LOVE the fact that I can move it all set up without messing up my knees or hips.

Mike

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6101264 - 09/25/13 08:50 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

Latest attempt imaging with the ZEQ 25 IC1396 in bicolor. The imaging process took twice as long as planned since I'm throwing away every other frame due to a tracking issue. After inspecting the worm gear (seems fine) all is left is the tension spring on the RA mount that seems very soft compared to the DEC one. Don't remember noticing how rigid it was initially; however I do remember getting an over current message when the tension screw was 1/2 or so from fully tightened now I can screw it all the way in and don't get any messages. Tried to manually extend the spring to increase its pressure. Going to see if it improves any the problem (temporary fix may increase error across entire cycle, but if error is constant over the cycle the problem will have been identified).

Full resolution here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94707096@N07/

Edited by gramaglia (09/25/13 08:52 PM)

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: gramaglia]
      #6101342 - 09/25/13 09:42 PM

Beautiful image Luca, grats. Ditto your images in Flickr, very impressive.

Stats? Camera, etc?

Regards,

Paul

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6101363 - 09/25/13 09:55 PM

Luca, that is SUPER!
Randy, that is amazing and insane in the same breath!

Thanks to all.
Andy

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: budman1961]
      #6101412 - 09/25/13 10:31 PM

All the images on flckr are all done with a QHY22 (ICX694 same as the atik460ex)10-12 binned 2X (still plenty of pixels to fill my entire screen and faster imaging to boot) cooled to -10c and 5 minutes subs. The only exception is the Andromeda galaxy where I also took 20 60s exposures for an HDR composition of the center of the galaxy. The imaging scope is an AT72ed with a .8X reducer/flattener.
If weather permits tonight I'll test my hypothesis that I have an issue with the spring, and if my hypothesis holds true, I'll buy the new spring from you Paul.

RandyC
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6101457 - 09/25/13 10:54 PM

Heinz, I only use the C8 or C11 with the Mallincam for video astronomy. It allows live observing with 30sec-2minute integration times. It's not CCD quality but I like to look around the sky at a lot of DSOs in a night. It's a LOT better than pure visual. The C11 with 50mm SSAG guidescope, ES Finderscope, flip mirror and Mallincam is about 32lbs+/-.

I was going to ask you. What is a Mewlon? It looks just like a SCT. Obviously it is much more.

Clear Skies, RandyC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaxygardens

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6101550 - 09/25/13 11:49 PM

Randy,

Take a look at this.

tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6101677 - 09/26/13 02:54 AM

Hi all,

just a quick update about my problem with the crosstalk noise.
With the help of the great and fast iOptron support (thanks John!) we identified the problem in the vibration of the motor shaft not being properly contained by the encoder cover.
By applying some thickness inside the cover and firmly holding it in place the problem should be hopefully fixed. Fingers crossed.

Ciao,
Piero

anat
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/03/04

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: tango13]
      #6101715 - 09/26/13 04:37 AM

Hi Piero,

Good news that it can be solved easily Good luck!

Regards,
Anat

Edited by anat (09/26/13 04:42 AM)

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: anat]
      #6101769 - 09/26/13 07:00 AM

ZEQ25 Unboxed! Impressions, Issues, etc....

My parents just stopped by last night with my ZEQ25 which had been delivered to them Tuesday. I thought I was going to be out of town, so I had it delivered to them. Turned out I wasn't, so they brought it by.

I need to let iOptron know that Amazon is not shipping the parts sepereately. They put the tripod and mount in one giant flimsy box taped together. I was a little worried about this. The boxes inside were marked from iOptron to Amazon, so I suppose Amazon is an "authorized" retailer.

Mine came with Steel case. This will need a replacement as the outside is smashed and it doesn't shut all the way. A result of the shipping I imagine. Not iOptron;s fault. I do like how everything fits in the case though. Very compact and snug.

Finish: A little rough in spots. Slight marring on the dovetail connecter, which doesn't bother me as it won't be seen either way. Some edges were missed with the white paint ever so slightly, showing silver edges. The black electrical housing boxes seem kind of worn, if that makes sense. The black is somewhat cloudy in parts. Don't know if from oil or what.

Assembly: Went together fast and efficently. I has studied up a lot and was prepared. Still I was surprised how light and how quick it went together. I like the tension knobs. It took me a bit to figure them out at first. Can't say I like the "backing off" two turns or so though, but It's not much of an issue.

As I was peeling off the protective film on the hand controller, the faceplate came off with it. I just placed it back on and hopefully there is enough adhesive to keep it there.

Operation: Easy and straight forward. Though for some reason I couldn't get it to slew to a random star. This is probably user error. I did not have a lot of time to fiddle around with it last night. I suspect that GPS needs to lock or something simple like that. It did slew to deep space objects.

CROSSTALK: Was hoping I wasn't going to experince this. But here we are. I got the infamous crosstalk. After I slew, there is definate chatter. However it is silent and wouldn't bother me if I knew it wasn't affecting anything. However, Paul stated earlier it does intterupt tracking. Looks like I need to bring this up with iOptron.

Overall: I have not put my OTA on yet. I hope to do so tonight. Still acquainting myself with it.

I am now nervous as it seems a lot of individuals are having issues. With Eric giving up on his, and other having the same crosstalk issues, it is starting to seem that it is more than a one-off issue.

However, since I haven't contacted iOtron yet, I am not going to rush to conclusions, and will let them assist me and see what they say. I love the design, the weight and what I have heard when it works right.

I'll keep you all updated.

***Update***

iOptron tech support (John) got back to me very quickly and regarding the crosstalk suggested: Regarding the “crosstalk,” it should not affect tracking. However, you may get rid of the noise by some simple fix.

Could you take off the cover of DEC and RA and exposure the motors? You may see a black plastic cover at one end of the motor, which protect the encoder. Power on, when you hear the abnormal noise, you may touch/press the encoder cover, would the noise go away? Then try the same on the other cover. If this is the case, the noise was most likely due to vibration of the motor shaft along the axis (common in servo motor). It should be eliminated by preventing any movement of the shaft along the axis. You may try to hold the cover in place firmly by applying a little super glue or alike to the 3 hooks. If this is not sufficient, you may take the cover off and glue a small piece of transparency film (or some other material, camera negative film, thin metal or plastic foil) at the inside cover and put it back and hold it firmly in place.

-Sean

Edited by Seanem44 (09/26/13 10:42 AM)

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6102010 - 09/26/13 10:18 AM

okay

explain to me what crosstalk is?? like Im 2 and what causes it

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64697

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics