Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)
boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6102084 - 09/26/13 10:51 AM

Quote:

ZEQ25 Unboxed! Impressions, Issues, etc....

My parents just stopped by last night with my ZEQ25 which had been delivered to them Tuesday. I thought I was going to be out of town, so I had it delivered to them. Turned out I wasn't, so they brought it by.

I need to let iOptron know that Amazon is not shipping the parts sepereately. They put the tripod and mount in one giant flimsy box taped together. I was a little worried about this. The boxes inside were marked from iOptron to Amazon, so I suppose Amazon is an "authorized" retailer.

Mine came with Steel case. This will need a replacement as the outside is smashed and it doesn't shut all the way. A result of the shipping I imagine. Not iOptron;s fault. I do like how everything fits in the case though. Very compact and snug.

Finish: A little rough in spots. Slight marring on the dovetail connecter, which doesn't bother me as it won't be seen either way. Some edges were missed with the white paint ever so slightly, showing silver edges. The black electrical housing boxes seem kind of worn, if that makes sense. The black is somewhat cloudy in parts. Don't know if from oil or what.

Assembly: Went together fast and efficently. I has studied up a lot and was prepared. Still I was surprised how light and how quick it went together. I like the tension knobs. It took me a bit to figure them out at first. Can't say I like the "backing off" two turns or so though, but It's not much of an issue.

As I was peeling off the protective film on the hand controller, the faceplate came off with it. I just placed it back on and hopefully there is enough adhesive to keep it there.

Operation: Easy and straight forward. Though for some reason I couldn't get it to slew to a random star. This is probably user error. I did not have a lot of time to fiddle around with it last night. I suspect that GPS needs to lock or something simple like that. It did slew to deep space objects.

CROSSTALK: Was hoping I wasn't going to experince this. But here we are. I got the infamous crosstalk. After I slew, there is definate chatter. However it is silent and wouldn't bother me if I knew it wasn't affecting anything. However, Paul stated earlier it does intterupt tracking. Looks like I need to bring this up with iOptron.

Overall: I have not put my OTA on yet. I hope to do so tonight. Still acquainting myself with it.

I am now nervous as it seems a lot of individuals are having issues. With Eric giving up on his, and other having the same crosstalk issues, it is starting to seem that it is more than a one-off issue.

However, since I haven't contacted iOtron yet, I am not going to rush to conclusions, and will let them assist me and see what they say. I love the design, the weight and what I have heard when it works right.

I'll keep you all updated.

***Update***

iOptron tech support (John) got back to me very quickly and regarding the crosstalk suggested: Regarding the “crosstalk,” it should not affect tracking. However, you may get rid of the noise by some simple fix.

Could you take off the cover of DEC and RA and exposure the motors? You may see a black plastic cover at one end of the motor, which protect the encoder. Power on, when you hear the abnormal noise, you may touch/press the encoder cover, would the noise go away? Then try the same on the other cover. If this is the case, the noise was most likely due to vibration of the motor shaft along the axis (common in servo motor). It should be eliminated by preventing any movement of the shaft along the axis. You may try to hold the cover in place firmly by applying a little super glue or alike to the 3 hooks. If this is not sufficient, you may take the cover off and glue a small piece of transparency film (or some other material, camera negative film, thin metal or plastic foil) at the inside cover and put it back and hold it firmly in place.

-Sean

im a little nervous too... chose this over an AVX... we will see... maybe we need a poll of happy owners vs unhappy owners

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6102245 - 09/26/13 12:16 PM

Quote:

im a little nervous too... chose this over an AVX... we will see... maybe we need a poll of happy owners vs unhappy owners

No need to be nervous. And if you go over to the AVX threat (believe me, I was on both a lot before making a decsision) they have many issues as well, but of a different type. I have no problem with the crosstalk as long as it doesn't affect anything.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6102248 - 09/26/13 12:18 PM

Sean,

Glad your mount has arrived. I've received things from Amazon that were in large flimsy boxes before. If the 2 boxes inside were the original shipping boxes, I don't think that should be an issue.

I received a metal case with my mount also. That is a $50 add on and I didn't order it that way. Looks like some vendors are filling orders with whichever part number they have in stockm. Did you order the case? My case was dented a bit but since it was free I'd be hard pressed to complain about it.

I had the same opinion of the fit and finish of the mount. I've had 4 under $1,000 mounts and this is at least as good as any I've seen. I wouldn't like it if this were a 10,000 mount but for $800, pretty good.

Good luck with your mount. I'm sure you will find iOptron customer service to be very helpful. Also, if you are not a member, there is a iOptron Yahoo group.

Mike

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6102266 - 09/26/13 12:27 PM

Quote:

Sean,

Glad your mount has arrived. I've received things from Amazon that were in large flimsy boxes before. If the 2 boxes inside were the original shipping boxes, I don't think that should be an issue.

I received a metal case with my mount also. That is a $50 add on and I didn't order it that way. Looks like some vendors are filling orders with whichever part number they have in stockm. Did you order the case? My case was dented a bit but since it was free I'd be hard pressed to complain about it.

I had the same opinion of the fit and finish of the mount. I've had 4 under $1,000 mounts and this is at least as good as any I've seen. I wouldn't like it if this were a 10,000 mount but for $800, pretty good.

Good luck with your mount. I'm sure you will find iOptron customer service to be very helpful. Also, if you are not a member, there is a iOptron Yahoo group.

Mike

Yeah, I don't think I am going to make a big fus about the case. I may even be able to hammer it out with enough work. No issue there. I mentioned it but will not press the issue beyond that.

The only issue I have is so far with the crosstalk. I have seen conflicting info on whether or not it interrupts or affects tracking. If it does not affect it, I don't mind it and certainly am not going to tear the thing apart and super glue it on account of something that is fairly quiet anyways.

If it does affect tracking though, then it becomes an issue. I hope to saddle up my OTA and balance it at a minimum tonight. If I can't get out to try and polar align, thats fine. Baby steps. Time is a precious commodity during week nights.

I will say I love the looks and design. And it feels SOLID.

Edited by Seanem44 (09/26/13 12:30 PM)

RandyC

Reged: 04/01/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6102316 - 09/26/13 12:59 PM

Don't forget the Ioptron imaging Yahoo group in addition to Ioptron. Enjoy.

boandpokey
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6102494 - 09/26/13 02:51 PM

i just got mine and the counter weight will not stay on the rod. will not tighten enough to stay where it needs to be,

probably something I am doing wrong

Edited by boandpokey (09/26/13 03:07 PM)

boandpokey
sage

#6102573 - 09/26/13 03:45 PM

Quote:

i just got mine and the counter weight will not stay on the rod. will not tighten enough to stay where it needs to be,

probably something I am doing wrong

well i talked to ioptron and they instructed me to sand down the brass peg that pins against the CCW Rod.. hmmm

RandyC

Reged: 04/01/13

#6102583 - 09/26/13 03:56 PM

Mine was the same. Ioptron told me to sand the screw itself. I actually used a chainsaw blade sharpener:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P8VTO8/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&p...

to bore out the hole. I wouldn't recommend a drill bit. It gets caught in there and will torque your wrist against the weight. You can call Ioptron as well, it's a common problem.

Clear Skies, RandyC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaxygardens

boandpokey
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6102600 - 09/26/13 04:04 PM

when i remove the pin the screw goes all the way down. Ioptron said to sand the step ( where the diameter of the pin changes) so its more tapered). I dont see how sanding the screw would help. I need to get the locking pin go farther in... i see where it should work,, if i smooth down the step to a taper it should push through..i just dont like manhandling a newly purchased expensive item

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: boandpokey]
      #6102685 - 09/26/13 05:00 PM

Hmmm. If you alter anything on there like that, It pretty much means you have to stick it out with the mount. I don't think you can return it to where you bought it from if you sand something down or do something Major on it can you?

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6102709 - 09/26/13 05:21 PM

Quote:

I was going to ask you. What is a Mewlon? It looks just like a SCT. Obviously it is much more.

Randy, thank you for your mini-report.

"Mewlon" is the name Takahashi have given their Dall-Kirkham Cassegrain Reflectors. "250" is the active diameter of the mirror in mm. The one I ordered has the addition CRS, which means it has a built in coma-corrector. Natively, the system suffers from significant off-axis coma.
By the way, does anybody know where the word "Mewlon" comes from, the etymology so to speak?

The total weight of the OTA, including mounting rings, Cassegrain focuser, binoviewer and eyepieces will amount to about 16-17 kg (35-37 lbs). This is even heavier than your setup and well above the nominal load capacity of the mount. And the tube is longer than yours. So I am very curious how I am going to fare. So far I am not worried, because of Paul's encouraging experiences and comments.
In a few weeks I'll know more. Very exciting.

I am looking much forward to hearing more about how it is going with your rig.

Heinz

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6102713 - 09/26/13 05:22 PM

If you do something to the mount based on instructions from customer support, I can't see that effecting the warrantee or the ability to return it if the need came up.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6102804 - 09/26/13 06:23 PM

HELP

Ok.... So I can't do what iOptron told me to do. Those covers are on tight. Almost seems like there is glue on them. At any rate, I can't get them off, and I'm not going to destroy an $800 mount in the process. Nor should I have to.

1) The cross talk is there. During and after slewing its that computer fax sound. While tracking, it's like a pulsating grinding sound. It alternates between the Dec and R.A. It's not to annoying, though i'd hate to think it's an imperfection. The main question is: Will this affect tracking or imaging?

1B) Does anyone have one with cross talk that you aren't bothering to fix and have had it for a while and works fine?

2. It's not dark. Have't tried to polar align yet. How do I adjust Azimuth??? Those knobs don't seem to move anything.

Thanks. I'm sure there will be more questions. Feel like this is a lot of work for something this expensive.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6102832 - 09/26/13 06:36 PM

I haven't done any imaging yet nod haven't noticed the cross talk but I do know that the azimuth adjustment does work. You have to loosen the right screw and then tighten the left one to move the mount East. Reverse the process to move West. Works like a champ and is very easy.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6102870 - 09/26/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

I haven't done any imaging yet nod haven't noticed the cross talk but I do know that the azimuth adjustment does work. You have to loosen the right screw and then tighten the left one to move the mount East. Reverse the process to move West. Works like a champ and is very easy.

Well... Put my OTA on Sans DSLR and balanced it. Weight Doesn't have the issue others are having. It works fine. Had to put it darn near at the top of the shaft.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
      #6102978 - 09/26/13 08:08 PM

Hi Sean,

I have had my Zeq25 for a couple weeks now. I have a little cross talk I think. I hear some funny electronic sounding high pitched type sounds. They are not loud at all and I do not alwyas hear them But I guess it would fit what is being called crosstalk here. So far I have imaged once using 3 minute guided subs. 28 out of 30 were fine. The crosstalk does not appear to affect my tracking in any way. I am about to start imaging run number 2 tonight (I should have some beautiful clear skies tonight...woo hoo ). I'll be using 5 minute subs tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, I tried to remove my covers too just to take a look inside and I could not get them off either. Almost like they were glued on as you said...John

Quote:

HELP

Ok.... So I can't do what iOptron told me to do. Those covers are on tight. Almost seems like there is glue on them. At any rate, I can't get them off, and I'm not going to destroy an $800 mount in the process. Nor should I have to.

1) The cross talk is there. During and after slewing its that computer fax sound. While tracking, it's like a pulsating grinding sound. It alternates between the Dec and R.A. It's not to annoying, though i'd hate to think it's an imperfection. The main question is: Will this affect tracking or imaging?

1B) Does anyone have one with cross talk that you aren't bothering to fix and have had it for a while and works fine?

2. It's not dark. Have't tried to polar align yet. How do I adjust Azimuth??? Those knobs don't seem to move anything.

Thanks. I'm sure there will be more questions. Feel like this is a lot of work for something this expensive.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: John Miele]
      #6102996 - 09/26/13 08:23 PM

Quote:

Hi Sean,

I have had my Zeq25 for a couple weeks now. I have a little cross talk I think. I hear some funny electronic sounding high pitched type sounds. They are not loud at all and I do not alwyas hear them But I guess it would fit what is being called crosstalk here. So far I have imaged once using 3 minute guided subs. 28 out of 30 were fine. The crosstalk does not appear to affect my tracking in any way. I am about to start imaging run number 2 tonight (I should have some beautiful clear skies tonight...woo hoo ). I'll be using 5 minute subs tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, I tried to remove my covers too just to take a look inside and I could not get them off either. Almost like they were glued on as you said...John

Quote:

HELP

John,

Thanks. I feel better now. Aside from that crosstalk, or whatever those electronic noises are, it works like a gem. It is very smooth, balancing is easy, etc.

I'm thinking we may have newer models then. It was only one side, but it looked and felt glued.

I can live with the noise. It's just the fact knowing that it's not supposed to be there that is annoying, especially on an expensive mount. I know expensive is a relative term when dealing with mounts, and this is on the cheaper side of mounts, by regardless, for me right now it was an expensive mount.

Thanks again.

Keep me updated. It will be a while before I can save up for an autoguider and would hate for several months to go by only to find out I it truly is an issue. Though that two year warranty is nice.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: John Miele]
      #6103007 - 09/26/13 08:28 PM

Quote:

You wont destroy the plastic covers. Remove the allen screws holding the cover(s) on. Remove the tensioning screw.

Grasp the cover in the middle and squeeze it, hard, while pulling up, it will come off. It hangs up on the edge of the cover where it surrounds the connector.

When it's off, do yourself a favor and scrape a 45 degree chamfer on the inside edge of the cover opening with a razor knife, or just file it with a small jeweler's file, a nail file will work also...)

When reinstalling a cover that has not been chamfered, insert the connector in the plug and pull up on it in order to seat the cover fully.

Cheers,

Paul

PS: I would NOT super glue the cover. The best way is to just remove the encoder motor (4 Phillips screws). Once it's off, remove the cover.

Take a small piece of electricians tape or gaffer's tape and stick it to the bottom inside of the cover. The tape should be about 1/2" square. It will preload the encoder shaft and reduce the crosstalk.

Replace the cover, secure it with electrician's tape, one long piece over the end of the cover and down both sides.

Wrap another piece around the body over the pieces you already stuck in place.

You must apply pressure to the end of the cover while securing the first piece of tape so the cover is fully seated with no gap.

Now reinstall the motor and go have fun.

Note that the cogged belt and pulley must be removed before you can access the motor screws. Putting the belt back on over the motor pulley is the hardest part of the job.

Edited by Astronewb (09/26/13 08:36 PM)

boandpokey
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6103102 - 09/26/13 09:43 PM

Ok got things going tonight . Set up mount on tripod.put ota, a new sw100 on mount. Balanced ota. Got it all wired and powered. Set time. Tried to slew. Nothing. Mount moved really slowly only in dec. Shut it down and tried to just slew nothing. Now im a new to an (non se) equatorial mount. So im going to believe the issue is me. The mount was making soft noise when I attempted slewing. Tomorrw is our astronomy club meeting and im going to lug it over and get some hands on opinions any input would be great

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: boandpokey]
      #6103117 - 09/26/13 09:55 PM

Quote:

Ok got things going tonight . Set up mount on tripod.put ota, a new sw100 on mount. Balanced ota. Got it all wired and powered. Set time. Tried to slew. Nothing. Mount moved really slowly only in dec. Shut it down and tried to just slew nothing. Now im a new to an (non se) equatorial mount. So im going to believe the issue is me. The mount was making soft noise when I attempted slewing. Tomorrw is our astronomy club meeting and im going to lug it over and get some hands on opinions any input would be great

Hmnn...? Did you run the tensioning screws all the way down and then back out at least a turn before slewing?

What speed did you slew at? 1 is the lowest, barely noticeable, 9 is the max slew speed.

Did you download and read the User Manual from iOptron's website?

I'm sure the crew at the meeting will be able to help you out. Let us know how you fared.

Regards,

Paul

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55425

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics