Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | >> (show all)
Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6106704 - 09/28/13 10:51 PM

Oh, and another strange thing that happened was I tried synching to Polaris.

Hmnn, maybe because in that time period, Polaris rolled from the West side of the Meridian, to the East?

As far as slewing to an object, my mount puts me dead center on M31 every time.

You must start with a leveled and square mount (don't say it doesn't make a difference w/a EQ mount...it does).

Once you position Polaris exactly where it is supposed to be, then shut the mount off and back on. The mount now thinks it's perfectly aligned to the NCP and is ready to align to a star and establish a pointing model.

For your purpose, select Mirach as a One Star align and slew to it. If you mount was level and your PA close, Mirach will be in your Dslr fov. Center it using the HC slew buttons and hit enter.

You are now aligned to that sky quadrant. Select M31 (it's really close to Mirach that's why you used it as a alignment star). Slew to M31, take a 30 sec exp at ISO 1600 and I guarantee you will see it frame out.

Most important, go have a ton of fun,

Cheers,

Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6106722 - 09/28/13 11:07 PM

Ah ha! There it is. Attention to detail. After I polar aligned, I DID NOT turn the power off and then back on again. Guarantee that's what did it.

Oh well... It's a learning curve. First GEM/CEM. I'll get it next time.

UPDATE

Had to try again. Spot on. If I could have focused I might have had some good shots. More learning curve

Edited by Seanem44 (09/28/13 11:38 PM)

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
      #6106795 - 09/29/13 12:05 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

Hi Sean,

I think after you get more practice with the mount you will love it. Like Paul, I level the mount, do a good polar alignment, zero the mount, then power off and back on. I will slew to the first star and it will be in guidescope FOV each time. I then center that star carefully using crosshairs and synch to it. My goto's are spot on after that.

I also have my 5 minute sub image complete (M31 thru my AT72ED scope). Guided with a 50mm finderguider and PHD and I heard the faint "cross talk" many times through the run. I took 44 x 5 minutes and did not throw away a single one. The crosstalk just does not seem to be any type of issue for me when imaging...John

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: John Miele]
      #6106822 - 09/29/13 12:44 AM

John,

When you Ploar align, is it just with the Polar scope? By the way, very nice shot of M31. Do you use a field flatner with your scope?

Mike

Edited by Mkofski (09/29/13 12:51 AM)

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6106828 - 09/29/13 12:51 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes. I'm only using the Mount's built in polar scope. I place polaris where the hand controller tells me to and that's it.

And yes, I use the AT2FF field flattener. It's only a flattner...there is no reduction.

John

Edited by John Miele (09/29/13 12:56 AM)

anat
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/03/04

#6106830 - 09/29/13 01:00 AM Attachment (62 downloads)

I managed to solve the RA play issue with the help of iOptron tech (John). The problem is caused by the loose hinge of the worm gear assembly. The small plate with three allen screws is used to fixed the whole assembly to the mount body by a hinge mechanism. The play is caused by this hinge. The hinge has balls and setscrews on both ends to connect to the small plate. If it is loose, the torque from the main RA gear will cause the worm gear assembly to move up and down at the hinge. So, just loosen the small setscrew, tighten the big setscrew along the hinge axis, and tighten the small setscrew. Please do it only on one side!.

Edited by anat (09/29/13 01:03 AM)

Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: anat]
      #6106861 - 09/29/13 02:08 AM

Thank you for sharing he very nice picture John.

Anat, your photo is helpful. Thank you for posting it.

tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6106916 - 09/29/13 03:38 AM

Very nice images and encouraging information!
Chatter problem fixed, I can't wait to test my mount under the sky.
Thank you all.

vdb
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6106918 - 09/29/13 03:39 AM

I never did a power down with my IEQ45 after a polar align with the polar scope, why would you need to do that anyway is beyond me ...
As long as you did not do a polar routine or sync to a star the model is not initiated anyway no?

Edited by vdb (09/29/13 03:43 AM)

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: vdb]
      #6107287 - 09/29/13 11:36 AM

Iím only powering off to reset the zero position because I canít get my mount to manually return exactly to the zero position. I have to slew to the zero position using the motors. Since it only takes a couple seconds to flip the switch off and on, and gives me a little more accurate slew to the first alignment star, I go ahead and do it. I would follow this routine whether I polar aligned or not...John

Quote:

I never did a power down with my IEQ45 after a polar align with the polar scope, why would you need to do that anyway is beyond me ...
As long as you did not do a polar routine or sync to a star the model is not initiated anyway no?

ebeyonder
sage

Reged: 10/16/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6108691 - 09/30/13 05:22 AM

For those of you who ordered through Amazon (with the hard case), where did you find your counterweight shaft and accessory tray? I cannot find mine anywhere. The box with the hard case contains just the case and there is nothing inside. The tripod box is probably too narrow to contain the tray, but there is no sign of the tray or shaft there too.

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ebeyonder]
      #6108712 - 09/30/13 06:23 AM

Quote:

For those of you who ordered through Amazon (with the hard case), where did you find your counterweight shaft and accessory tray? I cannot find mine anywhere. The box with the hard case contains just the case and there is nothing inside. The tripod box is probably too narrow to contain the tray, but there is no sign of the tray or shaft there too.

Top of the upper foam pad. Pull the top foam pad out.

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: John Miele]
      #6108721 - 09/30/13 06:33 AM

Quote:

Iím only powering off to reset the zero position because I canít get my mount to manually return exactly to the zero position. I have to slew to the zero position using the motors. Since it only takes a couple seconds to flip the switch off and on, and gives me a little more accurate slew to the first alignment star, I go ahead and do it. I would follow this routine whether I polar aligned or not...John

Quote:

Beautiful pic John

i had my first dark session here in humid cenfl last night with a new friend that lives in the area. I have a long way to go. I couldnt get the scope/goto working. likely due in equal parts to inexperience, Mount not level/setting up in the dark. Polar scope light not working correctly due to loose contact. the light would flash on and off. Ill try again tonight to at least get it aligned ( weather permitting) I had a chance to see the AVX mount today my friend has. it is HUGE campared to the zeq...I like that about my choice. the portability..

Edited by boandpokey (09/30/13 06:35 AM)

ebeyonder
sage

Reged: 10/16/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6108736 - 09/30/13 06:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Top of the upper foam pad. Pull the top foam pad out.

Ah found it. Thanks!

ramasule

Reged: 04/12/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ebeyonder]
      #6108921 - 09/30/13 09:30 AM

The zeq25 does not start tracking until you either do a alignment or hit 0 after its done booting. You will see on the hand controller that it will now say tracking. Press 0 again to stop.

Once again some of you think this mount is "expensive" at 1000. It is a bit of change for someone new to buying just the mounts but in reality for 1000 this thing is gold. When I bought this I did not expect the quality and the weight this thing is holding up to.

Also do yourselfs a favor, read the manual a couple times through off the website, seriously. I know it's exciting to get something new but you may end up damaging something... particularly the tension/wormgear.

Also, I cannot stress this enough since I have a friend whom is notoriously bad for this.... Do not expect to take this out on a clear night, or any night, first time, and expect everything to go alright. Practice setting it up indoors, practice setting it up indoors, practice setting it up indoors.

Remember if you prepair yourself, the rest will fall into place, and you will ENJOY this hobby, that yes is at times very frustrating.

Calm seas and clear skies,

Ram

boandpokey
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: ramasule]
      #6108952 - 09/30/13 09:49 AM

thanks Ram

words of wisdom for me. I definitely need the practice. and hope to get to a point in the next 6-12 months to be able to take mediocre photos.. lol

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: boandpokey]
      #6108992 - 09/30/13 10:14 AM

Quote:

Also, I cannot stress this enough since I have a friend whom is notoriously bad for this.... Do not expect to take this out on a clear night, or any night, first time, and expect everything to go alright. Practice setting it up indoors, practice setting it up indoors, practice setting it up indoors.

Excellent advice Ram!

Quote:

hope to get to a point in the next 6-12 months to be able to take mediocre photos..

This mount will deliver excellent images if you read the manual...:)

the Final Mission, M31 Andromeda by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

Remember also, that from time to time, the online manuals are updated or annotated by iOptron's staff, based on user's input, so visit the website every few months to see what's new.

All the best,

Paul

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6109056 - 09/30/13 11:01 AM

Hi Paul, Very nice image, great clarity. As an update on the C11/ZEQ25. Works fine. It guides better than the C8 which may be due to balance. C11 gotos are slightly worse. I still get all of my gotos but instead of being almost centered, they are near edge of fov. This is amazing performance to be able to switch between my C8 and C11. However, my C11 is an older ota and needs to be collimated or something as the stars are fuzzy. I tried to collimate but can't seem to get it any better. I am back to the C8 where I will reduce the Mallincam focal reduction from about .50 to .75. Since the gotos are so good, I should still hit my objects, mostly galaxies.

Hey have you seen this, what do you think for the Z?
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-10-f39-Newtonian-Astrograph-Reflector-Telescop...

boandpokey
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6109095 - 09/30/13 11:35 AM

I read the manual every day... !!

Im reading it now actually. its going to take practice practice practice..

BJS

Reged: 05/23/09

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: boandpokey]
      #6109234 - 09/30/13 12:45 PM

I have a question about the polar alignment routines. Has any one gone to the trouble of using the polar scope first, and then doing a multi-star alignment to see if you can achieve a better polar alignment? After reading the manual it seems like this is possible.
Second question: Can these mounts be placed on the Ioptron piers that the IEQ30 and 45's use? If not, what is the problem, is the diameter wrong or is it the az adjusting peg that is out of place?

Thanks, Brian

Pages: << 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | >> (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63820

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics