Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)
gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6113651 - 10/02/13 05:52 PM

Paul's tutorial for marking the zero point is on a pdf file. I have a copy of it not sure how to share it here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: gramaglia]
      #6113736 - 10/02/13 06:34 PM

http://www.astronomyforum.net/telescope-mounts-forum/162678-how-establish-zer...

at the bottom of the post by Paul there's the PDF download.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6113743 - 10/02/13 06:36 PM

Not sure how to share a PDF file here on CN but if you would, email me a copy at mike@dom2.com and I'll post a link to download it.

Mike

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: DesertCrawler]
      #6113770 - 10/02/13 06:50 PM

At the time I tried to slew to Jupiter, it was near the zenith. I checked location and time offset. All as it should be. Still no reaction. Maybe some software error after all?

Heinz / Hines ( I like this anglicized version of my name)

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6113788 - 10/02/13 06:57 PM

Quote:

HEINZ,

Well, you may like the anglicized version but I do want to apologize for the mistake!

Mike

DesertCrawler

Reged: 05/30/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6113838 - 10/02/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

At the time I tried to slew to Jupiter, it was near the zenith. I checked location and time offset. All as it should be. Still no reaction. Maybe some software error after all?

Strange. I would not expect that. Perhaps others with more experience can offer more useful insight.

Just to be clear. You select Saturn from the Solar System object list. Saturn and its associated data show up on the next screen. Did you hit enter again? If not, you need to do that. I do not feel this is intuitive at all, but that is the way mine works as well. It does sort of make sense. The first Enter from the Solar System list selects the position data for the object of interest and displays that data. The second enter from the object data screen initiates the slew operation.

Hunlon

Reged: 09/19/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Shalamar]
      #6114186 - 10/02/13 10:11 PM

Nice image Shalamar for a 5 minutes unguided. Your polar alignment is quite close as you have very little declination drift. I assume you only used the polar scope for polar alignment. The periodic error is very well controlled as well - that normally shows up as a blurring in the right ascension axis (east-west) which shows up in images as up/down if the camera is mounted in the normal manner.

You can improve declination drift with better polar alignment but you can only reduce periodic error with PEC (periodic error correction) training which you do with from your handset or auto-guiding. By the way, the PEC training requires a ten minute session of guiding either manually with you monitoring a star through an eye-piece (preferably with an illuminated reticle) or with an auto-guider. Ironically, if you already have an auto-guider the PEC training provides little or no benefit.

Clear skies,
Hunlon.

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: DesertCrawler]
      #6116618 - 10/04/13 06:42 AM

I found the culprit. It was myself anyway. I made the little mistake of defining my time zone to be behind UTC instead of being ahead of it.
Well, thank you again for your input.
Heinz

Ryuno
sage

#6116623 - 10/04/13 06:49 AM

Quote:

http://www.astronomyforum.net/telescope-mounts-forum/162678-how-establish-zer...

The file has apparently been removed. The link is dead.
Heinz

DesertCrawler

Reged: 05/30/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6116742 - 10/04/13 08:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heinz

Hrm. The link works for me. Did you log in to the forum first? Unfortunately the file is too large to post as an attachment, at least uncompressed.

Please check your PMs on this site for some information that should prove useful.

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: DesertCrawler]
      #6116813 - 10/04/13 09:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heinz

Hrm. The link works for me. Did you log in to the forum first? Unfortunately the file is too large to post as an attachment, at least uncompressed.

Please check your PMs on this site for some information that should prove useful.

After your post I tried once more, and this time it downloaded all right. Don't know what was wrong the first time.
Thank you.
Heinz

BJS

Reged: 05/23/09

Loc: NW Ohio
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6116846 - 10/04/13 09:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a question about the polar alignment routines. Has any one gone to the trouble of using the polar scope first, and then doing a multi-star alignment to see if you can achieve a better polar alignment? After reading the manual it seems like this is possible.
Second question: Can these mounts be placed on the Ioptron piers that the IEQ30 and 45's use? If not, what is the problem, is the diameter wrong or is it the az adjusting peg that is out of place?

Thanks, Brian

Brian, my polar scope is spot on, I've checked, and it's within 2 arc-minutes, which is fine by me.

So, I have polar aligned, then used the Polar Align routine to see if I could chip away those last few arc-minutes. Nope, not happening, you'll only make it worse. The routine flips you back and forth between the 2 stars you've selected in a never ending routine, that has no confirmation or closure. When you 'think' it's good enough, you just back out of the routine.

I've then checked my initial polar align, and it's way off. Off so much that I can't image unguided for more than 45 seconds without trailing.

The routine will allow you to guide quite successfully, but it's not for the new AP'er without guiding equipment.

I'd love it if iOptron would return to the old Two Star align, which gave you an offset readout after the second star was centered. At least then you could make the needed adjustments with the mount adjusters and repeat the routine until you had '00-00' offset, or very near to it. After 3 or 4 iterations of the old routine, I was always at least '01-00' in both axes, and about 30% of the time I was at '00-00' which allowed me to image for 4 minutes unguided.

But, iOptron says the old routine was too difficult for the average user to wrap their head around, so they went with the new 'Polar Align' at the expense of AP enthusiasts.

No, the Z mount will not fit the current piers, the mount base circle is much smaller and would need a special apdapter to fit. Hopefully iOptron is working on that.

Cheers and clear skies,

Paul

Paul

I sent an email to Ioptron asking about the firmware update getting rid of the old two star align. John from Ioptron indicated that he could send me the old file so i would think that if enough of us contact them and ask them, they will put that feature back in. That is what i asked him to do in a future update. If i hear anything else i will let you know.
I also asked why the z25 does not mount on their pier and he said that it should not be too hard for them to come up with an adapter and that he would send my request to their team. Hopefully they will do so as it seems all other Ioptron mounts can be placed on the pier except the z25. That seems strange?

Brian

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: BJS]
      #6116879 - 10/04/13 09:54 AM

Quote:

I sent an email to Ioptron asking about the firmware update getting rid of the old two star align. John from Ioptron indicated that he could send me the old file so i would think that if enough of us contact them and ask them, they will put that feature back in. That is what i asked him to do in a future update. If i hear anything else i will let you know.

Thank you for the update Brian, I have emailed them requesting the same thing in a future update.

It really did seem odd to me, that they would remove a perfectly good program that users with a view of the celestial poles could use...and replace it with a program that helps only users with no view?

Kind of like putting the needs of the few ahead of the needs of the many...:)

As far as the adapter, easy enough to manufacture, especially with investment castings of aluminum. For that matter, if you have access to a metal lathe, a piece of aluminum alloy round stock would machine up nicely.

Clear skies,

Paul

BJS

Reged: 05/23/09

Loc: NW Ohio
      #6116952 - 10/04/13 10:38 AM

Paul

I agree on both items. Good to see that Ioptron is willing to listen and make corrections/improvements to their products based on customer feedback. Very smart.

Brian

Jon_Doh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/16/11

Loc: On a receiver's back
      #6116953 - 10/04/13 10:38 AM

Does anybody know if this mount can handle a big six inch achro like the ES AR152?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Jon_Doh]
      #6117025 - 10/04/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Does anybody know if this mount can handle a big six inch achro like the ES AR152?

i

This a great little mount but I don't think it will handle the combination of the weight and length of the AR152. I looked at one a while back and decided against it. I think ES's 5 inch scope should be ok.

Jon_Doh
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6117043 - 10/04/13 11:25 AM

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
      #6117077 - 10/04/13 11:39 AM

I have a C11 on mine, 32lbs loaded. The ES152 weight should be okay. It might be a little long but if it's balanced, should be okay.

Clear Skies, RandyC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaxygardens

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6117102 - 10/04/13 11:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Like RandyC said, it may be Ok. Without trying a 152 on it there is not way to know for sure. Since the OTA is pushing the maximum weight limit of the mount the big question I'd the length. The way I remember the 152 is that it is over 4 feet long. I just want to be sure you understand, my guess that it would be too big for the mount is just that - a guess.

Mike

Jon_Doh
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6117117 - 10/04/13 11:57 AM

The AR152 is 41 inches long or about 3 1/2 feet and weighs 23lbs.

Pages: << 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | >> (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63964

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics