Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)
Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: n1wvet]
      #6119990 - 10/06/13 02:31 AM

Great advice, and highly appreciated. I hope someone can do a YouTube for those of us who aren't mechanically experienced and prone to misidentifying parts and misinterpreting technical instructions. Video is worth a million words.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anat
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/03/04

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6120486 - 10/06/13 12:01 PM

Quote:

Great advice, and highly appreciated. I hope someone can do a YouTube for those of us who aren't mechanically experienced and prone to misidentifying parts and misinterpreting technical instructions. Video is worth a million words.

I made an instruction to fix the crosstalk noise problem. You can see some photos of internal parts. It may help a bit.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3RSuv91xWggWUpKdDFUZkdmZnc/edit?usp=sharing

Anat

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6120588 - 10/06/13 01:16 PM

Quote:

So, my zero on the dovetail saddle is about 1-2 degrees left of straight in the locked position. Is this a big deal or an easy fix? If it doesn't affect anything I'll just leave it.

Anyone?

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6121115 - 10/06/13 06:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So, my zero on the dovetail saddle is about 1-2 degrees left of straight in the locked position. Is this a big deal or an easy fix? If it doesn't affect anything I'll just leave it.

Nope, not a big deal at all. As long as your RA and DEC axes are squared to whatever base level you refer to, it will be fine.

Clear skies,

Paul

Anyone?

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6121172 - 10/06/13 07:30 PM

Does anyone know how well the ZEQ25 handles a Sky-Watcher 120ED? The scope is 11 lbs and 37 inches long. It would be visual only at first, with AP later down the road.

Seanem44
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6121180 - 10/06/13 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, not a big deal at all. As long as your RA and DEC axes are squared to whatever base level you refer to, it will be fine.

Clear skies,

Paul

Anyone?

As always, thanks Paul.

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: n1wvet]
      #6121733 - 10/07/13 04:57 AM

I just got a Canon EOS 40D and took my first - terrestrial - pictures with the ZEQ25 mount and the Tak CN-212. Around the dec-axis stability seems ok to me, but the slightest touch, even just walking in the room causes some serious wobbling around the RA-Axis.

Am I making a mistake? Can I do anything to stabilize the RA-axis. If it stays like this, then the slightst breeze will make AP impossible.

I am rather shocked.
A few days ago I ordered a second ZEQ25! And now I am in doubt if this mount can hold the CN-212, nott to mention the Mewlon 250.

Heinz

anat
professor emeritus

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6121785 - 10/07/13 06:48 AM

Quote:

I just got a Canon EOS 40D and took my first - terrestrial - pictures with the ZEQ25 mount and the Tak CN-212. Around the dec-axis stability seems ok to me, but the slightest touch, even just walking in the room causes some serious wobbling around the RA-Axis.

Am I making a mistake? Can I do anything to stabilize the RA-axis. If it stays like this, then the slightst breeze will make AP impossible.

I am rather shocked.
A few days ago I ordered a second ZEQ25! And now I am in doubt if this mount can hold the CN-212, nott to mention the Mewlon 250.

Heinz

Heinz

Do you have the RA play issue? Apply a "very" small force at the counterweight shaft, is there any movement of RA axis? You may use your finger to touch at the joint between the RA part and the mount in order to check if you feel any movement.

Anat

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: anat]
      #6121922 - 10/07/13 09:07 AM

The following videos show what I mean. Applying very small forces makes the telescope and CW shaft wobble generously:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYFEcqlIOk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2z22DHpT6A

Is this normal?
I tightened the tension screws, then loosened them by a half turn. If I loosen them by a whole turn, I can move the scope relatively easily around the RA-axis.The cogwheels don't engage with each other tightly any more.

Heinz

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #6122017 - 10/07/13 10:00 AM Attachment (97 downloads)

Here's a small pdf file which I hope helps fix the 'play' issue.

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Maverick199]
      #6122044 - 10/07/13 10:14 AM

nice illustration Maverick

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
      #6122072 - 10/07/13 10:30 AM

Heinz, This is normal. My ZEQ-25 does the same thing and it works fine. It is part of the design. My advice is to leave it alone.

Clear Skies, RandyC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaxygardens

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Maverick199]
      #6122114 - 10/07/13 10:43 AM Attachment (28 downloads)

Quote:

Here's a small pdf file which I hope helps fix the 'play' issue.

Thank you very much for the PDF. However, my mount looks different on the inside than shown in the PDF. See attached image. The screws are not easily accessible. I would have to remove much more of the casing in order to get to them. I am hesitant to try.

On the other hand, leaving it alone, as Randy proposes, how am I to do imaging with this instability in RA, especially with a little breeze? It's really wobbly. In comparison, my little P2Z-mount of Takahashi is like a rock both in Dec and in RA. I am worried that I cannot live with the ZEQ25 as it is now

Heinz

anat
professor emeritus

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6122187 - 10/07/13 11:17 AM

RandyC,

This is definitely not normal. I followed the instruction from John (same as the attachment from Maverick) to solve the issue.

Anat

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6122201 - 10/07/13 11:23 AM

pics look like they could be the same. more of the mount has been disassembled in the PDF

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6122223 - 10/07/13 11:35 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know how well the ZEQ25 handles a Sky-Watcher 120ED? The scope is 11 lbs and 37 inches long. It would be visual only at first, with AP later down the road.

Anyone?

patdut63fromFr

Reged: 07/31/07

Loc: France
      #6122336 - 10/07/13 12:28 PM

Hello everyone,

I follow this topic for some days. As I am looking for a light mount to build a light setup I was seduced by the zeq25 first because returns were really positive. My opinion is changing with the misadventure of Ryuno. Looks like the zeq25 is either not as good as announced or that the blunt manufacturing is nonexistent in iOptron business.
As I don't want to finish the mount by myself I am increasingly averse to this purchase. Especially as the price of this material is exaggerated in France (more than twice the US price).
Wouldn't be the AVX from Celestron a better choice for my needs ?
Your advices are most welcome.

Edited by patdut63fromFr (10/07/13 12:28 PM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

#6122351 - 10/07/13 12:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone?

Don't have 120ED to try but I did try AR 102 with 2" Diagonal and 8mm Baader Hyperion and it tracked well. Bit of vibration when legs fully extended but if you can live with half or quarter of the legs extended, then the dampening is fine.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6122374 - 10/07/13 12:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone?

Mitch,

I have no experience with a refractor of that length but plan to add a 5" Explore Scientific OTA to my setup in the near future. The weight of the SkyWatcher scope isn't a problem and with only 11 pounds I'd be surprised if the length makes it unusable for visual or AP. Some people are using shorter scopes of 2 or even 3 time the weight. Hope someone with a longish refractor will chime in here.

Mike

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6122375 - 10/07/13 12:40 PM

Heinz the pics look the same to me except for depth of field. You could leave it alone and try imaging to see the outcome. I am not too keen in opening up mounts as my DIY skills are limited. I too have the same play but after tigthening second time round, the play is gone for some reason. Maybe it has to do with the tension adjusters?

In reply to my email, the iOptron tech replied thus:

"If you feel play by forcing the mount to turn, it is not correct. Because of the spring loading of the worm-gear system, you should feel the elastic move when you apply force on them. You may try to check if the Axle Locking screws are tightened".

Hope some of this helps.

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64650

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics