Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)
ramasule

Reged: 04/12/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6135569 - 10/13/13 06:31 PM

what Paul meant is after rebuilding you are supposed to run it at 2x speed for 2 min to work the encoder back in...

that being said there is defiantly something wrong with that ra. Does it make that awful sound even decoupled? If so something is really wrong.

I haven't taken my mount all the way apart like that but those washers may have came from beneath the 3 bolts that hold the motor and tensioner in place.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ramasule]
      #6135591 - 10/13/13 06:37 PM

You could try swapping the motors to see if the problem follows the RA motor. You run the risk of doing damage to the current DEC motor. Have you called iOptron customer support?

Mike

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6135804 - 10/13/13 08:42 PM

Quote:

You could try swapping the motors to see if the problem follows the RA motor. You run the risk of doing damage to the current DEC motor. Have you called iOptron customer support?

Mike

Calling iOptron may be the best option now. Because at the moment nothing seems to work. I getting alternating DeC-connection error and RA-connection error. The mount refuses to move.
I hope this is just a lemon.

Thanks for the advice.
Heinz

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6136046 - 10/13/13 11:01 PM

O a non directly related note to the ZEQ25, as it applies to any mount being guided; I just downloaded and started using PHD 2. It seems to be a major upgrade to the original. Don't think the actual guiding is any better (I haven't run long enough to make a determination) but has many more functions than the original.
can be downloaded from this site:
http://www.daddog.com/phd2

ramasule

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: gramaglia]
      #6136090 - 10/13/13 11:36 PM

Why would you post that in this thread?

gramaglia

#6136110 - 10/13/13 11:55 PM

For a couple of reasons:
1st: I mostly post on this thread.
2nd: PHD2 has new tools to measure mount error. And for those of us that don't own other software to measure mount error this is pretty good at determining error mount as it's now possible to calibrate PHD to adjust for pixel size and focal length

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6136141 - 10/14/13 12:17 AM

Thanks for the post. I hope to star guiding soon and will give PHD2 a try. Probably need to run under Windows and ASCOM to work with the Z25.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6136147 - 10/14/13 12:27 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

Calling iOptron may be the best option now. Because at the moment nothing seems to work. I getting alternating DeC-connection error and RA-connection error. The mount refuses to move.

What exactly is the error message? Overcurrent or connection?

Overcurrent would indicate too much current draw in any axes.

Connection error messages are usually cables or connections?

I listened to your mount slewing in your vids. It sounds suspiciously like your worm is not centered over the ring?

The 3 washers I don't have, anywhere. But if there are three, there are 3 screw holding the mainboard on, no washers there. There are 3 hinge locking bolts? That's all there is with 3 of anything on the mount.

If you call me 'John' again, I will really wonder if you are reading the threads completely?

gramaglia

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6136150 - 10/14/13 12:32 AM

Mike I use windows but there is a mac version available. As for connecting the mount I use pulse guiding with the cable that came with the mount for connecting the hand controller and the ascom ioptron.net driver

ramasule

#6136210 - 10/14/13 01:55 AM

How about pope john paul the ioptron messenger.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6136224 - 10/14/13 02:20 AM

Quote:

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6136225 - 10/14/13 02:23 AM

Quote:

Mike I use windows but there is a mac version available. As for connecting the mount I use pulse guiding with the cable that came with the mount for connecting the hand controller and the ascom ioptron.net driver

As soon as I get my mount working again I'll give it a try under Windows. Unfortunately my guide camera does not have a guide port or I could use my Mac. I'll have to switch cameras.

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
      #6136246 - 10/14/13 02:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What exactly is the error message? Overcurrent or connection?

Overcurrent would indicate too much current draw in any axes.

Connection error messages are usually cables or connections?

I listened to your mount slewing in your vids. It sounds suspiciously like your worm is not centered over the ring?

The 3 washers I don't have, anywhere. But if there are three, there are 3 screw holding the mainboard on, no washers there. There are 3 hinge locking bolts? That's all there is with 3 of anything on the mount.

If you call me 'John' again, I will really wonder if you are reading the threads completely?

Paul (!), sorry for changing your name. Just reviewed and revised my posts. I even insisted giving you a new name, didn't I? Rather incredible. I don't know how this happened. A rare case of dementia praecox? Of course I am always reading your whole postings.

On the basis of your post I'll take the mount apart again. How do I make sure the worm is centered?
At the moment I am mainly getting connection errors, and when they are not there, then overcurrent, but only in RA.

Heinz

Rich Asarisi
journeyman

Reged: 08/13/13

Loc: Connecticut, USA
      #6136338 - 10/14/13 06:23 AM

Paul its interesting that you posted this picture. Just yesterday I wanted to make sure that mine was correctly meshed. I removed the 3 allen screws that hold the counterweight shaft to the mount shaft and worked it off the mount, then removed the front plate to gain access to the gear and worm. This wasn't hard to do, the hardest part is working the counterweight shaft off that main mount shaft. I did find that it was correctly meshed. But I also found that the side with the cog gear and belt tends to have more downward pressure on it then the side with the release lock. So it seems that the whole planetary worm assembly sits on the gear on a bit of an angle. Showing it as more pressure on the belt side then the release side. Is that normal? If its not how do you go about making it straight?

Thanks
Rich

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Rich Asarisi]
      #6136399 - 10/14/13 08:08 AM

Yet another possibility. I noticed on the iOptron iEQ45 that even a slight overvoltage caused an RA error message. I used a power supply that delivered 14.0 volts, .2 volts more than the usual 13.8 volts, but well under the 15 volt max specified and I got drive error messages.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6136680 - 10/14/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just to make it clear, I'll answer to anything, just don't call me 'late to dinner'....

Best...Paul

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6136696 - 10/14/13 11:24 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Quote:

On the basis of your post I'll take the mount apart again. How do I make sure the worm is centered?
At the moment I am mainly getting connection errors, and when they are not there, then overcurrent, but only in RA.

Heinz, refer to my crude Paint Shop image above for the proper alignment.

I find it easiest this way, loosen the 3 hinge locking screws, have them just loose enough to allow the hinge base to move.

Now install the shim under the tension screw and tighten it down..the loose screws will allow the base to move slightly when you tighten the screw down.

Now eyeball the hinge base, the right and left corners should be aligned and squared to the raised platform cast into the mount.

Just make sure the hinge is even/aligned with the raised platform edges. I find that the hinge base will be almost perfectly aligned with the platform edges, +/- .05mm using this method.

While you're there, disconnect and reconnect all your board connections to ensure they are seated correctly.

After reassembly, test the mount with the stock spring. If all is well, then try your springs to see if that's part of your problem.

Hope that helps a bit.

Paul

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Rich Asarisi]
      #6136745 - 10/14/13 11:44 AM

@ Rich

I haven't had my ring cover off in a while, so I don't have a valid comparison, but I seem to remember that everything looked square?

But even if it weren't, as long as the worm is axially aligned to the RA ring gear, it will function perfectly, since the center of the worm will still be in correct mesh.

Cheers...Paul

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6139970 - 10/15/13 10:48 PM

Hi Paul, Last night after a perfect polar alignment and then a night of observing, I decided to check my final polar alignment. I found it was off and I don't think alt/az shifted. It is likely that either the polar scope isn't perfectly aligned or the reticle inside the PS isn't. I know you can turn the reticle to adjust RA and have done this. But is there a way to align the PS in the Z?

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6139997 - 10/15/13 11:02 PM

Quote:

But is there a way to align the PS in the Z?

Hi Randy, the polar scope alignment is the Achilles heel of the ZEQ25 mount. It is possible to compensate for the reticle being canted, just remove the black plastic cover and loosen, slightly, the one set screw. Then you can move the reticle a few degrees left or right to get it perfectly level. Tighten the set screw (lightly) and pop the cover back on, the hole in the cover is elongated to allow this.

Now, as far as aligning the polar scope to the mount. No way. The reticle adjustment screws are buried inside the mount and cannot be accessed. If it isn't aligned from the factory, you're not going to do it.

Well, if you want to machine a extension sleeve for the body of the polar scope about 40mm long, then that will put the adjustment screws outside the mount body where you can actually adjust it.

Mine is good, Polaris stays inside the 4 arc minute center circle from left horizontal to right horizontal.

Sorry for the bad news,

Paul

Edited by Astronewb (10/15/13 11:03 PM)

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63856

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics