Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | >> (show all)
tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: anat]
      #6186049 - 11/10/13 07:55 AM

Ok, but what happens if you're not guiding nor tracking (i.e. the motor is standing still) and you press the RA- button? Does the RA motor move or make any sound?
Mine doesn't do anything at all while the other buttons all have some effects.

Ciao,
Piero

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bluejay08

Reged: 09/29/09

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: tango13]
      #6186102 - 11/10/13 08:47 AM

RA+ or RA- only works when the mount is tracking.

tango13

Reged: 03/16/11

Loc: Rome, Italy
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bluejay08]
      #6186371 - 11/10/13 11:23 AM

Really? I'm a bit puzzled because I can clearly hear the motor buzzing when pressing the ra+ button even when it is not tracking.
Also, the ra+ and ra- buttons work for sure on my smarteq and heq5 mounts even when they are not tracking.

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: tango13]
      #6188300 - 11/11/13 10:24 AM

spent a lot of dark time with my mount last night. some observations. The cross talk is bad.. and I don't want to tear it down and tape and tune etc... is tearing a mount down and tuning just required maintainance??

There was a lot of vibration in the OTA when slewing..

when I was scanning in wide field for lovejoy I noticed the mount "whirred" the stars would speed up, slow down at a fairly steady tempo,, like the gears were slipping

my counter weight shaft is beginning to rust all over. what gives with that?

Now Good..

object stayed centered for 20-30 minutes while tracking. seemed very good when aligned. soooo easy to polar align.. nice and light..

any input zeq fans?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6188421 - 11/11/13 11:37 AM

Quote:

spent a lot of dark time with my mount last night. some observations. The cross talk is bad.. and I don't want to tear it down and tape and tune etc... is tearing a mount down and tuning just required maintainance??

when I was scanning in wide field for lovejoy I noticed the mount "whirred" the stars would speed up, slow down at a fairly steady tempo,, like the gears were slipping

Now Good..

object stayed centered for 20-30 minutes while tracking. seemed very good when aligned. soooo easy to polar align.. nice and light..

any input zeq fans?

I've had my Z25 out under a tarp on a concrete pad for about 4 weeks now with lots of rain and haven't seen any rusting.

The mount was surprisingly easy to tear down and put back together. If your goal is astrophotography, I'd say give it a shot. For visual use go with what you have. I don't get a lot of crosstalk... not even sure what it is really. If tapering the caps on the motors reduces the noise, I'd do that also. Again, it's an easy job.

What OTA are you using? I don't get any vibrations if I'm using 2 piggybacked refractors (80mm and 66mm) but do see it if I have a 80mm refractor piggybacked on my C8. For me, it's not a problem.

Mike

ramasule

Reged: 04/12/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6189506 - 11/11/13 09:29 PM

When you turn on the mount press 0 to start tracking and 0 to stop. You have to be tracking to get the guiding working. Look on the hand controller amd you should be able to see the movement, so you dont have to be in a room where you could hear a mouse fart.

Yun-Oh

Reged: 01/14/12

Loc: Riverview, FL
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ramasule]
      #6189870 - 11/12/13 01:22 AM

Hi! Long time reader, first time poster...

Instead of creating a new thread, please allow me to ask a question on this thread.

I've been a visual observer my whole life, and since I recently bought this little toy called SkyTracker, it's been fun taking some shots of the night sky. I dusted off a bunch of manual focus lenses from my old daytime photography days, and they seem to work pretty well.

However, I find it difficult to use some of my telephoto lenses with SkyTracker. It would be nice to have a more rigid mount with better tracking accuracy, and it is why I've been following this thread on ZEQ25. I also have an RC8 OTA waiting for a mount, so I thought it would be nice to have a light weight mount to carry DSLR telephoto setup and a full RC8 setup at the same time.

Now I'm about an inch away from pulling the trigger and want to confirm one thing. Can I put a C8 or RC8 on this mount with WO 66mm piggybacked on top? The RC8 weighs about 17 lbs with diagonal(C8 a little less) and WO 66mm about 4 lbs. Adding DSLR, eyepiece, piggyback plate, guide rings, and finderscope would put the whole setup close to the payload limit of 27 lbs. Would this work on ZEQ25?

I watched Paul's video with RC10, but want to make sure the mount can track accurately at its max payload. Portability is a big deal for me because I have to travel to avoid the red zone light pollution at my house. I originally looked into Losmandy Starlapse, but it is still too heavy and also more expensive than ZEQ25 when including the DEC module. If ZEQ25 can handle my setup, it would be a perfect mount for me.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Yun-Oh

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Yun-Oh]
      #6189968 - 11/12/13 04:01 AM

Yun-Oh,

I've used my WO ZS66 piggybacked on my orange C8 before on the z25 but I don't think I'd plan on pushing the 27 pound limit on a regular basis. I know that Paul got at lease one great shot with a 10" RC... let's see what he has to say.

Mike

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6190174 - 11/12/13 08:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Now Good..

any input zeq fans?

I've had my Z25 out under a tarp on a concrete pad for about 4 weeks now with lots of rain and haven't seen any rusting.

The mount was surprisingly easy to tear down and put back together. If your goal is astrophotography, I'd say give it a shot. For visual use go with what you have. I don't get a lot of crosstalk... not even sure what it is really. If tapering the caps on the motors reduces the noise, I'd do that also. Again, it's an easy job.

What OTA are you using? I don't get any vibrations if I'm using 2 piggybacked refractors (80mm and 66mm) but do see it if I have a 80mm refractor piggybacked on my C8. For me, it's not a problem.

Mike

I have a sw 100 ed... as it slews there is a ton of vibration.. not sure any technical jobis easy for me!

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: boandpokey]
      #6190221 - 11/12/13 09:33 AM

Adding DSLR, eyepiece, piggyback plate, guide rings, and finderscope would put the whole setup close to the payload limit of 27 lbs. Would this work on ZEQ25?

Hi, as mentioned, I have imaged autoguided, with the AT10RC, at 120 and 240 seconds. Nice round stars too, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.

A good friend of mine has just received his AT8RC for use on the Z mount, so as soon as the sky clears long enough for a imaging session, there should be some info on that particular setup?

Some notes, you would need two counterweights, and the counterweight extension bar would be a good investment also.

The Z mount, with a balanced OTA seems to track and guide perfectly even at loads past the design limits, so the old imaging rules governing typical GEM mounts does not seem to apply.

Please note, that on my Z mount I have removed all the play in the RA and DEC axes and installed heavier tensioning springs so my results are not typical of an 'out of the box' Z mount by any means.

The adjustments are not difficult, by the way. The mount is perfectly designed, it's just that when 50 or 60 different sets of hands put it together on a assembly line in China, the final results can vary...:)

It appears that you are mainly interested in AP with the mount? If you don't need to piggyback the 66mm, then don't.

Not sure if you intend to image or guide with the 66mm? There are lighter and smaller guide scope solutions.

You also don't need a finder, I haven't used one in years. The mount's go-tos are so accurate, the camera live view can serve as your finder.

Hope that info helps a bit. I can say that if I owned a 8" carbon fiber RC, it would find a permanent home on my Z mount.

Regards...Paul

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6190234 - 11/12/13 09:42 AM

Quote:

What's up with that is a poor chrome plated steel counterweight shaft. The plating is probably only 1 mill thick, and light scratches from the locking screw expose the steel, which then rusts.

Mine is exactly the same, light rusty lines all over.

The only cure for that is a stainless steel counterweight shaft, which inhibits rusting (stainless will rust/corrode too, eventually, just not as quickly as carbon steel).

Clear skies...Paul

Yun-Oh

Reged: 01/14/12

Loc: Riverview, FL
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6192988 - 11/13/13 04:31 PM

Thanks to Mike and Paul for your responses. Both of you said you wouldn't put max load on ZEQ25 on a regular basis, so I guess I will just get a small guidescope and have two setups - [RC8 + guidescope] or [WO66 + guidescope]. I wanted to have a single setup and use WO66 for imaging or guiding depending on the target, which makes it simple to deal with balancing, but I guess I will just have to get used to the balancing routine.

Again, thanks to Paul and all the contributors here. I wouldn't have even looked into this mount if it were not for this thread. If I get a ZEQ25, I will definitely go through the tuning process following Paul's youtube instructions. I think this mount is perfect for my needs.

I will wait for Paul's friend's report as the last checkpoint before ordering one myself. Hopefully iOptron works out the issues discussed here before then. :-)

Best,
Yun-Oh

Justin neg3deg

Reged: 08/12/13

Loc: Arusha,Tanzania
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Yun-Oh]
      #6193919 - 11/14/13 02:47 AM Attachment (71 downloads)

Here’s a pic of my new setup, 8”edge, on ZEQ25, long trip getting it all back to Tanzania but it all worked out, now just need the time to get everything setup and tuned. Would like to throw out a big thank you to Astronewb and all others who’s posts helped me decide on this setup!

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Justin neg3deg]
      #6194095 - 11/14/13 08:10 AM

Thanks Justin, looks good from my house.....:) Sweet setup with the PowerWeight, and very easy to grab n' go...!

Good luck and clear skies,

Paul

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Justin neg3deg]
      #6194115 - 11/14/13 08:30 AM

Quote:

Here’s a pic of my new setup, 8”edge, on ZEQ25, long trip getting it all back to Tanzania but it all worked out, now just need the time to get everything setup and tuned. Would like to throw out a big thank you to Astronewb and all others who’s posts helped me decide on this setup!

Hello.
You have a very nice looking setup there. Have you already had the time to do some observations? i would be interested in hearing something about your visual observations. How easy do you find focusing at high magnifications? Do you have any vibrations, and if yes, how long did they take to settle down?
I read the specifications of Your scope on the Internet. They say, the OTA weighs 6.5 kg without mounting rings and accessories. And the length should be around 45 cm. My Takahashi CN212 weighs 8 kg and is 70 cm long. With this OTA I have rather strong vibrations and the time to settle down is nearly 5 seconds. I understand, that most users here are quite happy with the mount. Maybe I am still doing something wrong. I am using it with the CN 212, but with difficulties. With mounting rings and eyepieces etc The weight reaches about 10 or 11 kg. This would be around 22 lbs. Which is still a good deal below the nominal weight capacity. Of course, the tube is relatively long. Maybe this fact and the fact That 27 is not too far from 22, are the main reasons for my vibrations. Or what do you think? If there is anything more I could learn in order to optimise the performance of the mount, I would very much like to know it.

Have nice time with your beautful scope under southern skies. I envy you. Here in Tokyo I can only dream of your nights.

Best regards
Heinz

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6194277 - 11/14/13 10:21 AM

Heinz,

I think the combination of weight and length was your downfall. It seems as if the mount will tolerate excess weight better than length. I have a 6 pound 50" long Newt that works ok on the mount but does present a problem focusing at higher magnifications.

I'll bet that an OTA that is 1.5 Kg less than yours and 25cm shorter will perform much better.

Mike

Justin neg3deg

#6195930 - 11/15/13 04:20 AM

I have only had time to do a short viewing of the moon, some vibrations when slewing fast and stopping, but they damp out quickly (2-5sec). I have some work to do on the balancing first as all i have to work with is the supplied 10lb and battery pack counter weight (TSA loved me as I left the USofA as they were both in a carry on bag). And at my lat(-3.4059,36)the counter weights come very close to the tripod legs so I will most likely be making a thinner weight to place above the battery pack weight, or make a longer counter weight shaft.

charles genovese
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/04/06

Loc: Madisonville Louisiana
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Justin neg3deg]
      #6196120 - 11/15/13 09:03 AM

There seems to be a common misconception about mount "weight limits"-
Those limits have to do with vibration, not where it will not track or will "fall apart" or somthing. Even a zeq 25 could support probably 100# and as long as it is balanced it would slew fine. But if u touched it to focus or there was a slight wind it will take longer and longer to stop shaking.

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: charles genovese]
      #6196316 - 11/15/13 10:56 AM

Quote:

There seems to be a common misconception about mount "weight limits"-
Those limits have to do with vibration, not where it will not track or will "fall apart" or somthing. Even a zeq 25 could support probably 100# and as long as it is balanced it would slew fine. But if u touched it to focus or there was a slight wind it will take longer and longer to stop shaking.

That's exactly it!! I don't want to live with vibrations that only settle down after 5 seconds. I simply cannot focus under these conditions, not to mention imaging with the slightest breeze. I have written it once already, but want to say it more clearly that to my opinion the weight limit given by iOptron is not realistic. In a way I feel cheated. And before I had a mount, I was even considering it for the Mewlon 250 at 12 kg, which is still within the limit of the specs given by iOptron. Today I know that using the IEQ25 for a scope of this size and weight is completely out of the question. One could be tempted to draw the conclusion that iOptron is misleading their customers to boost sales. I hope this is not the case, because that would not be a good professional attitude.
This does not take away the innovative power of the mount, I am admiring iOptron for this idea! But the company needs to learn how to produce realistic specifications. Tomorrow my local iOptron dealer is having a kind of used equipment market at his shop. I am trying to sell my ZEQ25 there and purchase a used Tak EM11 instead. It's not the ideal mount either, that would be the EM200 or similar. Overmounting is always best. But I need to stay portable under all circumstances, therefore I have to accept the compromise. The mount in question will be sold during the event tomorrow as well. If I can buy it, it will cost me in as new condition 2000 $ including EM200 baseplate and legs, giving extra stability. Recently I tried the CN212 on this very EM11 in the shop. It is way more stable than the ZEQ25. It is actually a little more sturdy than even the iOptron iEQ45, which I also tried. Keeping this in mind, it is all the more impressive that Takahashi, in the specs, states a maximal payload of 8.5 kg (18.5lbs) and an ideal payload of 5.5kg (12lbs!). That's what I call understatement. A mount at least double as sturdy as the ZEQ25, but stating half of the nominal weight capacity of the latter! I find, this is true professionalism and respect for their customers.
Because of the misleading specs of theZEQ25 I am going to loose 40% (400$) of the price I paid for the mount.

Best regards to all. I will be glad if you can be happy with your ZEQ25, and most of you seem to be. But it's not for me, I am afraid. I am giving it back.

Heinz

Edited by Ryuno (11/16/13 01:34 AM)

Justin neg3deg

#6197592 - 11/16/13 02:39 AM

With very heavy wind last night with dew shield on, was seeing vibrations that lasted 1-3 seconds after I was able balanced the setup, I was not using vibration pads. I plan on hanging a weight on/from the tripod as I feel most of the vibrations are due to the light weight of of the tripod and not the mount it's self. Very happy so far. Anyone have suggestions on the amount of weight to steady the tripod with?
Also after going thru the zero point procedure by Paul, at end of night I set back to zero point and it was off a bit, is there a set that I missed? how do you save the zero point?

Pages: << 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | >> (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64136

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics