Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)
Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Justin neg3deg]
      #6197811 - 11/16/13 09:26 AM

Quote:

at end of night I set back to zero point and it was off a bit, is there a set that I missed? how do you save the zero point?

Justin, usually if the zero point is off a bit, it's because at some time during the viewing, you centered or slewed the mount without using the 'Synch to Target' function?

Also, when setting up the mount outside, first make sure your alignment marks are lined up.

Then polar align the mount, after polar aligning, before you do your first One Star align, shut the mount off and then back on to save the current data (position) to the mount's memory.

Using that method, even after several hours of use, my mount returns the zero position marks every time at the end of my session. No big deal if it doesn't, but it's very reassuring when it does...:)

Clear skies...Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions *DELETED* new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6198230 - 11/16/13 01:58 PM

Post deleted by Ryuno

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6198984 - 11/16/13 09:45 PM

Quote:

At the same time purchased a used EM11 Temma jr., built in 2007 but looks and feels as if it came directly from the maker.It has the EM200 short legs, giving extra stability. So far so good.

The rig looks very stable on those wooden legs, good luck with it Heinz..!

Clear skies...paul

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions *DELETED* new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6199325 - 11/17/13 02:40 AM

Post deleted by Ryuno

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions *DELETED* new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6201871 - 11/18/13 03:06 PM

Post deleted by Ryuno

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
      #6202949 - 11/19/13 01:32 AM

Heinz,

Enough is enough.....you have made your point. This is a ZEQ25 thread, not an EM 11 one.

. Why not start a separate TAK EM-11 thread since you no longer OWN the ZEQ25?

Andy

Edited by bilgebay (11/25/13 02:51 PM)

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions *DELETED* new [Re: budman1961]
      #6202968 - 11/19/13 02:19 AM

Post deleted by Ryuno

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
      #6202989 - 11/19/13 03:12 AM

Andy,

I think Heinz is bringing up some valid points regarding the ZEQ25's limits.
The weight is not all important, a long lever of a refractor of a long newton are much more difficult for to handle. For me first hand experiences is what I want to see on Cloudynights!

For a CN212 or a Mewlon 250 one should certainly look for a beefier mount for high magnification visual work. I would go at least for an iEQ45 or even a CEQ60. On the Tak side an EM-200 would be the right choice IMHO.

best regards
Chris

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: budman1961]
      #6202990 - 11/19/13 03:13 AM

+1

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6202991 - 11/19/13 03:16 AM

I don't really think that there are very many members trying to pick between the z25 and an EM11.

Dave MModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
      #6203067 - 11/19/13 06:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heinz,

Enough is enough.....you have made your point. This is a ZEQ25 thread, not an EM 11 one.

. Why not start a separate TAK EM-11 thread since you no longer OWN the ZEQ25?

Andy

Sorry that I made you angry, Andy. I thought a comparison with the Zeq25 was of interest to others in this thread too. In case there are more members who feel annoyed, I am prepared to erase my posts.
Heinz

From here on out, lets all stick to impressions of the ZEQ25
Thanks!

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Dave M]
      #6203330 - 11/19/13 09:50 AM

venison bagged - congratulations

p3boy
journeyman

Reged: 01/18/12

Loc: N. VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Justin neg3deg]
      #6206127 - 11/20/13 05:34 PM

GPS acquisition problems. Set up the mount (NIB) under clear skies for several hours today. Changed location several times. Flipped the mount to the side to expose the main board. No joy. Talked to iOptron and they will get back to me. Possibly need a new board. Any suggestions in the meantime. My apologies if this has been covered already--couldn't find any reference in earlier posts.
Thanks,
Paul

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: p3boy]
      #6206294 - 11/20/13 07:12 PM

GPS problems are not uncommon with the Z25. I don't know if mine has ever worked but I don't travel and it isn't important to me. I do need to address it soon. Customer support at iOptron is excellent and I'm confident that they will heel you resolve the problem.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: p3boy]
      #6206759 - 11/21/13 12:11 AM

Quote:

GPS acquisition problems. Set up the mount (NIB) under clear skies for several hours today. Changed location several times. Flipped the mount to the side to expose the main board. No joy. Talked to iOptron and they will get back to me. Possibly need a new board. Any suggestions in the meantime. My apologies if this has been covered already--couldn't find any reference in earlier posts.
Thanks,
Paul

The slow GPS response on the ZEQ25 is a known issue. I can set up the mount, with ota, polar align and do a One Star align, and be in the middle of calibrating PHD when the mount 'dings' to let me know GPS has locked on. Scares me every time...:)

It doesn't bother me either, since you can enter your location in the HC manually in the setup menu (which you're supposed to do anyway). I personally find GPS kind of redundant, since you can use a Smart Phone, or a laptop to find your position anywhere in the world in about a minute?

Anyway, it is slow even with the ota not in the saddle, 5-10 minutes is about how long it takes to acquire and lock on a satellite signal. iOptron specifically said that no CEM60's would be leaving China unless the GPS worked, and worked quickly...lol.

Best...Paul

NHRob
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/04

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6207002 - 11/21/13 06:56 AM

Can you store your location in the HC to be pulled up later?
I tend to view from 1 or 2 locations so, having to manually key it in each time would be a pain.

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: NHRob]
      #6207269 - 11/21/13 10:25 AM

How do I know that my GPS has found satellites? Menu > Setup Controller > GPS Status says "GPS is ON". Does that mean it's found enough satellites?

Lat and Lon are correct for my location, but I haven't moved. Seconds display is updating regularly. Does the handset hold the location and the time? I'm trying to figure out how long it takes the GPS to set a fresh location.

Does the handset or mount have an internal battery? Manual has a ROHS battery warning, but that's the only reference to one.

Regarding GPS in general, Garmin automotive and handheld GPSrs can require 10 to 15 minutes to download the almanac at a new location (several hundred miles from the last location), but after the almanac has been set up they acquire satellites and location in less than a minute.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seldom]
      #6207318 - 11/21/13 10:51 AM

Quote:

How do I know that my GPS has found satellites? Menu > Setup Controller > GPS Status says "GPS is ON". Does that mean it's found enough satellites?

'GPS On' means that it is working. When it has acquired a satellite signal it will change to 'GPS Ok' in the HC.

Quote:

Lat and Lon are correct for my location, but I haven't moved. Seconds display is updating regularly. Does the handset hold the location and the time? I'm trying to figure out how long it takes the GPS to set a fresh location.

Does the handset or mount have an internal battery? Manual has a ROHS battery warning, but that's the only reference to one.

Yes, your location and time are stored in the HC. The location is stored on the board, but the time is stored in the HC. If your HC battery is weak, or goes low, the location will be okay, but the time and date will default to sometime in 2011, which will make the Polaris position and go-tos useless. In the past, some HC batteries have failed in the first month or less.

Always check your time and date when turning the mount on to avoid being bitten by this. (Been there, done that)

Some users have reported faster GPS acquisition times with a fresh HC battery installed.

The battery isn't mentioned in the manual, but it's in the HC, and it's a common button battery, get a spare.

Hope that helps, clear skies...Paul

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: NHRob]
      #6207330 - 11/21/13 10:59 AM

Quote:

Can you store your location in the HC to be pulled up later?
I tend to view from 1 or 2 locations so, having to manually key it in each time would be a pain.

On initial setup, you enter your coordinates in the HC along with the correct time and date, it is then retained for future use without having to re-enter the data by the button battery in the HC. (See previous post above for specifics)

If you move to a substantially different location, you can enter the coordinates of the new location manually, or wait until the GPS locks on and does it automatically for you.

I don't know how far you have to travel from your 'home location' before it starts affecting alignment and go-tos, but I'm sure someone in here does..:) Anyway, if the GPS is slow to lock on, and you're in a hurry, just check your current coordinates with a Smart Phone car GPS or laptop and enter them manually.

Regards...Paul

RandyC

Reged: 04/01/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #6208125 - 11/21/13 06:21 PM

Ever since the change to winter time, I have been having a strange time error. After GPS acquisition, my time has been off by about 30mins. Doesn't make any sense as it's not an hour off. My gotos are bad and I have to reset the date and time in Handcontroller setup. Then make sure I turn the mount off and on before re-aligning.

I replaced the battery only 4mos ago.

Pages: << 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | >> (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55736

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics