Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | >> (show all)
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6208189 - 11/21/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

Ever since the change to winter time, I have been having a strange time error. After GPS acquisition, my time has been off by about 30mins. Doesn't make any sense as it's not an hour off. My gotos are bad and I have to reset the date and time in Handcontroller setup. Then make sure I turn the mount off and on before re-aligning.

I replaced the battery only 4mos ago.

Randy,

After you reset the time and date and realign are the goto's good? 30 minutes off is strange. Have you emailed iOptron customer support with the problem?

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6208273 - 11/21/13 07:59 PM

Hi Mike, I also tried getting a handset cord extension (windy telephone cord) since my RJ connector was getting frayed again. This does not work! The pin in/out is correct but the cable gauge must be too light. After this stopped working, I would also find the time off. I can't see how the two are related but who knows. I am on my second RJ cable in 4 months of having the mount and this one is about to go. I'll think of something.

mattz
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/03/06

Loc: Where is Rescue CA?
      #6208700 - 11/22/13 01:43 AM

Is anyone using this with something like an SW 120ed? The tube is 11 lbs, 37 inches. I would use it for visual now, maybe some AP later. Seems like it should be a good fit. I'm wondering how stability would be.

Also, I may want to put the mount on a video tripod. Has anyone tried something like this.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: mattz]
      #6208753 - 11/22/13 03:02 AM

Quote:

Is anyone using this with something like an SW 120ed? The tube is 11 lbs, 37 inches. I would use it for visual now, maybe some AP later. Seems like it should be a good fit. I'm wondering how stability would be.

Also, I may want to put the mount on a video tripod. Has anyone tried something like this.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

I get the impression that the z25 has more problems with the length than the weight. I tried an old RV6 (50" long f/8 newt) that only weighs 6 or 7 pounds and had more vibrations than with a 20+ pound load that was about 24" long. I think you'd be ok for visual but not so good for AP later. Hopefully someone that has used a more similar scope can chime in.

Why the video tripod? I am using the standard 1.5" leg tripod.

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
      #6209696 - 11/22/13 03:19 PM

Quote:

Hi Mike, I also tried getting a handset cord extension (windy telephone cord) since my RJ connector was getting frayed again. This does not work!

A handset cord is 4P4C. The serial connector on a ZEQ25 is also 4P4C, but the Hand Controller lists itself as 6P4C in the manual (it's wider) and is actually 6P6C as furnished with my new ZEQ25. You can buy a bag of the appropriate plugs from Amazon for about $5, and a crimper that supports both 4P4C, and 6P4C/6P6C (both 6Ps use same crimper slot) for about $30. But be careful that you get a 4P4C. Most crimpers on Amazon do 8P8C and 6P6C but the 4P4C plug won't fit either of those slots. You can also buy pre-made 6P6C cables at Amazon for reasonable prices, but they won't be curly.

I'm curious about why you think the wire gauge on your handset cord would be too light. I'm using a handset cord with my ServoCAT with no problems, and I'd think the signal currents should be miniscule.

RandyC
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seldom]
      #6209728 - 11/22/13 03:37 PM

Hi, My ZEQ25 is vintage June 2013. It's definitely a 4P4C and I compared with the handset cord and identical. I just purchased a used HPZ400 server and its USB ports are underpowered. The additional length of the windy handset cord and coupler was just enough to underpower. I already have an issue sometimes when I press direction buttons on HC and mount doesn't respond. Takes a couple pushes before it gets moving. The underpowered handset cable was forget it. I am going to try this with a RJ9 coupler: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301021804886?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p39...

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #6209914 - 11/22/13 05:31 PM

Quote:

Hi, My ZEQ25 is vintage June 2013. It's definitely a 4P4C and I compared with the handset cord and identical.

Randy, just be careful and make sure the 4p4c cord is straight pinned. If you plug a reverse pinned cord into the mount, it will fry something.

Hold both connector ends, with the locking tabs up, side to side. The wire colors on both should match.

If they don't, they are reverse pinned (ala telephone) and are wrong.

Just for your info...Paul

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6210059 - 11/22/13 07:02 PM

Paul, this thread, which you initiated, is now longer than the famous IEQ 45 thread. By now it must be one of the longest threads ever at Cloudynights. It can only be beaten by your new thread about the CEM 60.
Congratulations!

Best regards and a nice weekend
Heinz

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6210358 - 11/22/13 10:00 PM

Thank you Heinz (I think). I can only assume that it is because of the many people who have purchased the mount, or are just simply curious about the design?

At any rate, the dialog and contributions by the members of Cloudy Nights has been informative, and sometimes, entertaining...:)

All the best to you in the land of 'The Rising Sun'

Paul

RandyC
sage

#6210387 - 11/22/13 10:25 PM

Gulp, it was reverse pinned. Don't think it fried it seems to be working okay now but wasn't responding correctly with it hooked up. They should just make a USB connection to the HC..make things so much easier. I have wasted much time buying a true FTDI USB converter and fixing frayed cables.

SJTill

Reged: 06/07/12

#6210699 - 11/23/13 04:25 AM

My Z-mount is on the way…I hope.
But I haven't yet decided on the scope for it.
I had been eyeing the TS-Optik 120/900 ED, a seriously beautiful scope; but then started reading about video astronomy and have ordered an astro-video camera.
So…I have a mount coming, an astro-video camera coming….and no scope on order. Actually I have a cheap Celestron 4 inch f/5 to play with until my dream appears. ;-)
Given the desire for a scope that can do both planetary and DSO imaging, visual astronomy, and video astronomy, that is (with requisite accessories) within the range of the Z25:
What about the Celestron 8 inch vs the 9.25 inch EdgeHD? The 8 is much lighter; but it doesn't use 2-inch diagonal and eyepieces.

Justin, your 8 inch Edge looks great on the mount: how did it work for you?

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: SJTill]
      #6210992 - 11/23/13 10:10 AM

Quote:

I have wasted much time buying a true FTDI USB converter and fixing frayed cables.

But, just look at all the experience you have acquired?

Enjoy...Paul

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
      #6211355 - 11/23/13 01:01 PM

Just so I understand straight through vs. reverse pinned. Assuming latches are up on both plugs and plugs are side by side is straight through: [BGYR] [RYGB], in other words, mirrored. That's what I get when I line up colors:
B--B
G--G
Y--Y
R--R
I just checked a handset cable and it was straight through (at least as I'm using the term).

Just checked my ZEQ25 HC cable. It is [BL R G R Y BK] [BL R G R Y BK] so it's reversed as I understand it.

Edited by Seldom (11/23/13 01:46 PM)

Bluejay08

Reged: 09/29/09

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seldom]
      #6211418 - 11/23/13 01:37 PM

Yes this is straight one. The HC cable should be either 6P6C or 6P4C, no 4P4C, except the serial port. If you make your own cable, 6P6C won't hurt.

Jay

RandyC
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seldom]
      #6211558 - 11/23/13 02:37 PM

no, here is something off the Internet:

Q. What's the difference between "straight-through" cords and "reversed" cords?

A: Modular line cords are used for two basic applications. One is for patching between patch panels or other data communications gear. When used for data patching, cords should always be wired “straight-through” (pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc.). The second application is for connecting phone equipment to a jack. These cords are usually wired “reversed” (pin 1 to pin 6, pin 2 to pin 5, pin 3 to pin 4, etc.) Here's how to read a modular cord: Align the plugs side-by-side with the contacts facing you and compare the wire colors from left to right. If the colors appear in the same order on both plugs, the cord is wired “straight-through.” If the colors appear reversed on the second plug (from right to left), the cord is “reversed.”

RandyC
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Bluejay08]
      #6211571 - 11/23/13 02:47 PM

Hi Jay, I am only working on the serial cable to the HC from my PC which keeps becoming frayed. The HC cable itself is fine.

Bluejay08

Reged: 09/29/09

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6211698 - 11/23/13 04:25 PM

I have the same problem. The outer sleeve is too thick to get under the plastic tab.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Bluejay08]
      #6212124 - 11/23/13 08:11 PM

Quote:

checked my ZEQ25 HC cable. It is [BL R G R Y BK] [BL R G R Y BK] so it's reversed as I understand it.

Nope...

That is exactly right, that is straight pinned.

A telephone or commo connection would be mirror imaged, and would be 'reverse pinned'.

Doh, just realized Randy answered the question very well.

Cheers...Paul

Edited by Astronewb (11/23/13 08:13 PM)

mattz
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/03/06

Loc: Where is Rescue CA?
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6212317 - 11/23/13 10:56 PM

Thanks Mike,

This would be for visual. The SV80S is for imaging. The mount should be very stable for the SV80S.

I've never messed with an EQ mount. This should be fun...

Now all we need is a sale on iOptron...

Yun-Oh

Reged: 01/14/12

Loc: Riverview, FL
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: mattz]
      #6212473 - 11/24/13 01:07 AM

Quote:

Now all we need is a sale on iOptron...

Amen!

Pages: << 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 65036

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics