Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | >> (show all)
p3boy
journeyman

Reged: 01/18/12

Loc: N. VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6212755 - 11/24/13 08:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

GPS acquisition problems. Set up the mount (NIB) under clear skies for several hours today. Changed location several times. Flipped the mount to the side to expose the main board. No joy. Talked to iOptron and they will get back to me. Possibly need a new board. Any suggestions in the meantime. My apologies if this has been covered already--couldn't find any reference in earlier posts.
Thanks,
Paul

The slow GPS response on the ZEQ25 is a known issue. I can set up the mount, with ota, polar align and do a One Star align, and be in the middle of calibrating PHD when the mount 'dings' to let me know GPS has locked on. Scares me every time...:)

It doesn't bother me either, since you can enter your location in the HC manually in the setup menu (which you're supposed to do anyway). I personally find GPS kind of redundant, since you can use a Smart Phone, or a laptop to find your position anywhere in the world in about a minute?

Anyway, it is slow even with the ota not in the saddle, 5-10 minutes is about how long it takes to acquire and lock on a satellite signal. iOptron specifically said that no CEM60's would be leaving China unless the GPS worked, and worked quickly...lol.

Best...Paul

Thanks Paul and Mike. Looks like iOptron will replace the main board for me. HC "back" button failed also--replacement on the way. Following this thread, I feel like an "old hand." The advice here is invaluable.

Many thanks,
Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pippo

Reged: 01/12/13

Loc: Paris (FR), Pantelleria (IT)
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Yun-Oh]
      #6214911 - 11/25/13 11:29 AM

canceled

Edited by pippo (11/26/13 04:12 AM)

RandyC

Reged: 04/01/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: pippo]
      #6220002 - 11/27/13 06:20 PM

I think the cold weather may have affected my gotos and my polar alignment isn't holding up. My gotos have not been spot on as usual. This is probably due to the mount cooling down and stiffening. Anyone have similar experience? Someone just mentioned Celestron says the CG5 won't work below freezing??

nwcs

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Tennessee
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6220316 - 11/27/13 09:15 PM

I just ordered mine today and looking forward to it! Will be here next Wednesday. It's all cloudy and rainy here, though, so it may be a while before I can really try it. I'm going to use a lighter Orion refractor on it so I'll probably be ok.

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: RandyC]
      #6220435 - 11/27/13 10:24 PM

Quote:

I think the cold weather may have affected my gotos and my polar alignment isn't holding up. My gotos have not been spot on as usual. This is probably due to the mount cooling down and stiffening. Anyone have similar experience? Someone just mentioned Celestron says the CG5 won't work below freezing??

Had mine out for the first time, without polar alignment because the reticle LED was dead. Used a 1 star alignment on Capella. Gotos after that were pretty good. North America and the Veil were fine. Andromeda, close to Zenith, was iffy. Also did all this without the benefit of a red dot finder, which is on backorder. Temperatures were in the high twenties. Everything was frosted when I broke it down at the end of the session.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: nwcs]
      #6220445 - 11/27/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

I think the cold weather may have affected my gotos and my polar alignment isn't holding up. My gotos have not been spot on as usual. This is probably due to the mount cooling down and stiffening.

Hi Randy,

The polar alignment should not be affected by the cold, since it's all mechanical adjustment?

I would think if the mount got cold enough to create any binding or tightness in the drive, it would set a 'overcurrent' message because of the increased amperage draw also?

I had mine out last on the 20th, frigid night, 19 degrees with frost all over everything, and the go-tos and tracking were fine, including the return to zero at 3:30 am.

I would start checking the basics, like the time and date in the HC? Maybe your HC button battery is going low?

Good luck...Paul

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

#6220455 - 11/27/13 10:35 PM

Quote:

because the reticle LED was dead.

Not related to Randy's issue, but I just replaced my polar scope LED also because it died last week.

Had to shine a small penlight across the top of the polar scope opening to polar align the mount. Try doing that with only one hand...;(

Emailed iOptron, and received a replacement LED yesterday, and I'm ready for some clear sky now.

Cheers...Paul

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
      #6220662 - 11/28/13 01:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

because the reticle LED was dead.

Not related to Randy's issue, but I just replaced my polar scope LED also because it died last week.

Had to shine a small penlight across the top of the polar scope opening to polar align the mount. Try doing that with only one hand...;(

Emailed iOptron, and received a replacement LED yesterday, and I'm ready for some clear sky now.

Cheers...Paul

Mine's in the mail too. But it seems like reticle LEDs aren't an uncommon problem.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seldom]
      #6221309 - 11/28/13 12:11 PM

Was using my Zeq25 last night for some imaging. Temps were mid 20s. Slews and GOTOs were on target and no unusual noises or issues. I was also pleased the HC display remained readable and responsive...John

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: John Miele]
      #6221566 - 11/28/13 02:07 PM

my LED hasn't worked correctly since I got it

Xeroid

Reged: 09/21/13

Loc: USA
      #6221695 - 11/28/13 03:23 PM

My LED also died and when I took it apart noticed an ARC had removed a foil connection on one of the legs. Possible too much current? No internal limiting resistor? ARC?

If so, then I would suggest to connect the LED with power OFF to prevent arcing/current surge.

Tom

Newbieastro

Reged: 11/27/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Xeroid]
      #6221785 - 11/28/13 03:55 PM

Hello Folks,

I received this mount from iOptron. Unfortunately, my mount suffered from cosmetic damage to the right ascension cover box. There was no damage to the circuit board etc. iOptron sent me a replacement RA box cover. To install it, I removed the allen wrench screws and the RA tensioner knob (which has a spring) and a ball bearing under neath it. When I put it all together, I noticed that the tensioner knob (with the spring and ball bearing) was harder to turn. I put it back exactly like it was before but no matter what I do it seems tighter. Compared to the tensioner knob on the DEC box it is way tighter. Why is that? Second, the RA gear lock knob is harder to turn compared to the DEC gear lock knob. Third, when I slew the scope to a target, sometimes the scope will go to near a target and then the counterweight and scope will swing hard like a pendulum before then continuing to target. Lastly, is 64X the maximum slew rate of the mount? Thank you for your help folks. I sincerely appreciate it.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Newbieastro]
      #6222060 - 11/28/13 05:53 PM

Quote:

Hello Folks,

I received this mount from iOptron. Unfortunately, my mount suffered from cosmetic damage to the right ascension cover box. There was no damage to the circuit board etc. iOptron sent me a replacement RA box cover. To install it, I removed the allen wrench screws and the RA tensioner knob (which has a spring) and a ball bearing under neath it. When I put it all together, I noticed that the tensioner knob (with the spring and ball bearing) was harder to turn. I put it back exactly like it was before but no matter what I do it seems tighter. Compared to the tensioner knob on the DEC box it is way tighter. Why is that? Second, the RA gear lock knob is harder to turn compared to the DEC gear lock knob. Third, when I slew the scope to a target, sometimes the scope will go to near a target and then the counterweight and scope will swing hard like a pendulum before then continuing to target. Lastly, is 64X the maximum slew rate of the mount? Thank you for your help folks. I sincerely appreciate it.

Hi,

The Dec and RA locking on my mount work the same. Is it possible you got the screw cross-threaded?

The maximum slew rate is greater than 512X. Get that 512X by pressing the 8 key. Pressing 9 gives you the maximum rate but it don't know what that is. The way your mount was bouncing, it sounds like the tension isn't turned up enough. If you can't get the problem with the tensioning screw straightened out, I'd email iOptron customer support.

Mike

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6222210 - 11/28/13 07:38 PM

Quote:

Third, when I slew the scope to a target, sometimes the scope will go to near a target and then the counterweight and scope will swing hard like a pendulum before then continuing to target.

That's an indication that your tensioning screw on the RA axis is too loose and allowing the worm to cam off the ring easily, especially if your ota is not balanced?

Here's the drill, once you get your ota mounted, balance it in DEC, then in RA. To balance, back out the tension screw, unlock the lock to balance. After balance is complete, lock the switch and turn the tension screw all the way in, then back out at least one turn as a starting point. (You may only need a half-turn, two turns might be required..experiment).

As far as the RA tension screw, it should feel the same as the RA, since both are identical. Remove both screws and inspect the threads for any sign of cross-threading. Put the DEC screw in the RA and check to see if that corrects it. The screw thread is so large, it's hard to cross thread, but anything is possible?

Oh, and download and read the complete manual from iOptron's website, the Quick Start Guide is not enough
information to completely understand what's going on.

http://www.ioptron.com/images/up/ZEQ25_Manual.pdf

Let us know what you find,

Cheers...Paul

RandyC

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: John Miele]
      #6222634 - 11/29/13 12:40 AM

Me too, was worried a little but I have a bad HC battery. Also rechecked levels. Gotos back on target. Happy Thanksgiving.

nwcs

Reged: 11/12/13

Loc: Tennessee
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6223119 - 11/29/13 10:35 AM

Sounds like I'm going to have a lot of interesting times when mine comes on Wednesday. lol. Maybe I'll have no troubles? Hope so!

Newbieastro

Reged: 11/27/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: nwcs]
      #6223364 - 11/29/13 12:57 PM

Thank you for the tips folks. I will put them to use this weekend. Thanks all.

mattz
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/03/06

Loc: Where is Rescue CA?
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Newbieastro]
      #6228127 - 12/01/13 10:50 PM

Can this mount be used as a push-to? I really like my push-to Dob. I enter an object and the scope tells me how far and in what direction to push the tube. Then I look in the EP and there it is.

If I push-to instead of go-to, I wil be able to run longer on a smaller battery. I can track after I find an object, but that is much lower power than slewing to an object.

Also, pushing generates much less noise. Between tracking and pushing, I expect I won't make much noise, but please let me know if I am wrong.

RandyC

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: mattz]
      #6228187 - 12/01/13 11:28 PM

Hi, I also have an Argo Navis on my dob. The ZEQ25 is an equatorial mount for precision tracking and guiding. It is designed so you can do astrophotography without star trailing. Gotos are only part of its functionality. If you are only interested in gotos, an alt-az mount is better. It's much simpler to setup and probably slightly better gotos. But it won't have as good tracking. oth equatorial and alt-az are both completely motorized, so no pushing. enjoy.

mattz
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/03/06

Loc: Where is Rescue CA?
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6228244 - 12/02/13 12:32 AM

Thanks Randy. I'm interested in the ZEQ because I would like to mess with some AP in the future. When I do, I'll plug in or bring a big battery.

But I'd like the mount to also be useable as a push-to for visual so I can use a smaller battery at those times.

What I'm wondering is whether the handset can be used to provide push-to information, and whether there are clutches or release levers so that it can be pushed.

Pages: << 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | >> (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55451

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics