Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | >> (show all)
nine44
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6269602 - 12/23/13 10:23 PM

Oh--that's good to know. The bigger problem is not the leg, but how low the polar scope is to the ground. I can extend the legs, I guess--hopefully high enough that I don't have to kneel on the concrete. I guess I just have gotten used to Celestron's ASPA procedure--without a polar scope. I'll swap the post and extend the legs and give it another go.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: nine44]
      #6269752 - 12/24/13 12:02 AM

Quote:

Oh--that's good to know. The bigger problem is not the leg, but how low the polar scope is to the ground. I can extend the legs, I guess--hopefully high enough that I don't have to kneel on the concrete. I guess I just have gotten used to Celestron's ASPA procedure--without a polar scope. I'll swap the post and extend the legs and give it another go.

I have the same problem... old knees, knee and back surgeries prevent me from getting low enough to use the Polar Scope. I've done it but it hurts a lot. I'd like to try to fit part of a diagonal to the PS to see of that helps. To be fair, this would b the case with any mount with a straight through PS and not a iOptron specific issue.

Mike

nine44
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6270458 - 12/24/13 11:38 AM

Quote:

I'd like to try to fit part of a diagonal to the PS to see of that helps. To be fair, this would b the case with any mount with a straight through PS and not a iOptron specific issue.

OR...a cheap USB camera that would attach to the polar scope?

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Seldom]
      #6270636 - 12/24/13 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

because the reticle LED was dead.

Not related to Randy's issue, but I just replaced my polar scope LED also because it died last week.

Had to shine a small penlight across the top of the polar scope opening to polar align the mount. Try doing that with only one hand...;(

Emailed iOptron, and received a replacement LED yesterday, and I'm ready for some clear sky now.

Cheers...Paul

Mine's in the mail too. But it seems like reticle LEDs aren't an uncommon problem.

LED failures definitely aren't uncommon. My second reticle LED in about a month failed last night. I dealt with it by shining a small (white) flashlight into the LED aperture. Kinda trashed my night vision, but it did get me lined up.

Anybody know if iOptron's aware of and working on a fix for this?

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
      #6270746 - 12/24/13 02:11 PM

I haven't had an LED failure, but I have had a brain failure to bring the illuminator cord. I used the illuminator from my reticle eyepiece to polar align, then replaced it in eyepiece to star align the mount.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: nine44]
      #6270812 - 12/24/13 02:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd like to try to fit part of a diagonal to the PS to see of that helps. To be fair, this would b the case with any mount with a straight through PS and not a iOptron specific issue.

OR...a cheap USB camera that would attach to the polar scope?

That would better solution than a right angle attachment. I have a USB camera I can try it with. Thanks!

Xeroid

Reged: 09/21/13

Loc: USA
      #6270845 - 12/24/13 03:10 PM

My L.E.D failed and upon further inspection, shows a blown foil connection at the L.E.D base. I also do not see any current limiting resistor. I'm of the opinion the ZEQ25GT Polar Scope L.E.D. failures may be due to arcing or to an over-current condition. I now use duct tape on the connector to insure the power plug does not fall out and arc. I also make sure to NOT plug it with power on condition to the mount.

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Xeroid]
      #6270887 - 12/24/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

My L.E.D failed and upon further inspection, shows a blown foil connection at the L.E.D base.

I checked my first blown LED, and it had equal resistance in both directions. I'd have thought if I had a blown foil, it should be open in both directions. Xeroid, was your bad LED open or did it show continuity?

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

#6271011 - 12/24/13 04:46 PM

Kudos for iOptron Service!!! Bad LED reported at 10:00 AM MDT today. Replacement shipped at 2:00 PM MDT same day.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

#6271017 - 12/24/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

Kudos for iOptron Service!!! Bad LED reported at 10:00 AM MDT today. Replacement shipped at 2:00 PM MDT same day.

The fantastic customer service .makes the little problems much more palatable.

Mike

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
      #6271149 - 12/24/13 05:48 PM

Make sure you unplug reticle light before slewing. Happy Holidays to all. Thanks Ioptron for getting my objects in view. I gave you a cheer each time.

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6271184 - 12/24/13 06:05 PM

LOL! I fully relate to your "knees on the ground" issues. I keep my tripod legs low for stability reasons so I have to kneel down to see thru the polar scope. When I'm polar aligning I feel like I'm "worshipping" the North star! One thing that helps when I set up on concrete is to lay down an old carpet sample to kneel on. I had cartilage removed from my right knee this Summer and it does not like hard surfaces! ...John

Quote:

Quote:

I have the same problem... old knees, knee and back surgeries prevent me from getting low enough to use the Polar Scope. I've done it but it hurts a lot. I'd like to try to fit part of a diagonal to the PS to see of that helps. To be fair, this would b the case with any mount with a straight through PS and not a iOptron specific issue.

Mike

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: John Miele]
      #6271903 - 12/25/13 09:51 AM

My led didnt work from day one i just deal with it....

Xeroid

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seldom]
      #6271946 - 12/25/13 10:29 AM

Seldom:
My L.E.D is OPEN.

Xeroid

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: boandpokey]
      #6271952 - 12/25/13 10:32 AM

boandpokey:
If your ZEQ25Gt is still under warranty, call iOptron tech support and get a replacement!
Power OFF the mount THEN plug it in.

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Xeroid]
      #6272003 - 12/25/13 11:16 AM

I plug and unplug mine with the mount on. But it blew once and I think it was because I was leaving it plugged in with the mount slewing.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: RandyC]
      #6273345 - 12/26/13 10:01 AM

I have a question for zeq25 owners. Can anyone give the measurements for the optional hard case ?.
Thanks!!

Andy

boandpokey
sage

Reged: 07/25/13

Loc: Auburndale, Fl
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Xeroid]
      #6273535 - 12/26/13 12:02 PM

Quote:

boandpokey:
If your ZEQ25Gt is still under warranty, call iOptron tech support and get a replacement!
Power OFF the mount THEN plug it in.

I did.. they told me to bend the prongs to the power cord.... its not a big deal except how it relates to the nagging numerous issues the mount has.. I can still see the standards with a flashlight. i have long arms.. lol

Octans

Reged: 08/13/09

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: boandpokey]
      #6273941 - 12/26/13 04:15 PM

Anyone order one from Amazon and not get a tripod? I've heard that the mount and tripod sometimes come in different packages, but the weight they gave matches the weight of the mount + case (without tripod) alone: http://www.amazon.com/iOptron-7100-HC-ZEQ25-Polar-Scope/dp/B00EUDR2NG

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Octans]
      #6274031 - 12/26/13 05:03 PM

The link you provided looks like just the mount in a case without a tripod. The mount and tripod do ship in different boxes.

Pages: << 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 63752

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics