Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | >> (show all)
Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Paulimer]
      #5973268 - 07/15/13 10:45 PM

Quote:

My question, finally, is will the Celestron OTA bracket go with the mount on the ZEQ25 or should I plan on buying a dovetail bar/rings?

The 80mm dovetail on the Celestron ota should work fine with the saddle on the ZEQ25. It opens really wide, and is non-marring with two clamping knobs.

It wont fit a 'D" style wide dovetail, not until someone asks ADM to make up one, or iOptron offers one?

Clear skies,

Paul

Edited by Astronewb (07/15/13 10:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Paulimer]
      #5973281 - 07/15/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

The just updated skysafari pro removed support for the ZEQ25...any idea what's wrong?

Hmnn...just checked my App store updates, there is a new update, Version 3.8.1, and one of the 13 updates does remove support for the SmartEQ/ZEQ25 mounts. No idea?

Looks like I'll have to use Luminos on the iPad, which is a lot cheaper, just as nice, and supports the ZEQ25 with Meade LX200 settings?

Cheers,

Paul

FoxTrot
sage

Reged: 06/01/06

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5973646 - 07/16/13 07:02 AM

Hi Paul, Foxtrot here. Yeah, I just saw that on the App store and lucky I checked the Version notes. Does that mean the wireless SkyFi unit will not longer work with the ZEQ25 ? Any idea why they removed support for the ZEQ25 - and did it work in the first place ? Reckon it will come back at some stage in future ?

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: FoxTrot]
      #5973870 - 07/16/13 10:46 AM

Quote:

Hi Paul, Foxtrot here. Yeah, I just saw that on the App store and lucky I checked the Version notes. Does that mean the wireless SkyFi unit will not longer work with the ZEQ25 ? Any idea why they removed support for the ZEQ25 - and did it work in the first place ? Reckon it will come back at some stage in future ?

Hi! I did some enquiring, actually the 8408 hand controller mounts never worked in Sky Safari, even though they were listed on the prior update.

iOtpron sent Southern Stars a ZEQ25 mount to investigate what's going on just recently. Despite that, they have not been able to get it to work in Windows, it works perfectly in IOS systems. Southern Stars thinks it is a hardware problem, and has referred the problem back to iOptron to correct.

The mounts were removed from the list because they were just a 'tease' for Smart EQ and ZEQ owners...:)

Whether or not it gets sorted out is a question for the software engineers at this point?

Cheers,

Paul

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
      #5974882 - 07/16/13 07:41 PM

A few days ago, I called Southern Stars. I was told that they have tried everything imaginable, together with the folks of iOptron, to make SKysafari for iOS (iPhone/iPad) work with the ZEQ25, but to no avail. And that for the time being, they have simply run out of ideas what else to try. When I asked if they think that some time in the future they might get it to work, I got a reply that sounded a little sad: "Yes, probably."

This obviously means that they have given up for the moment to make Skysafari talk to the ZEQ25. The fact that support for this mount has been withdrawn in the last update of Skysafari confirms this. So we better use Luminos or some other software for the ZEQ25.
I wrote an email to Southern Stars, trying to encourage them to continue working on this issue, because many users would be interested in it. But they really seem to have no clue right now.

They told me about Skysafari for Mac OSX being able to work with the ZEQ25 though, and wanted to check it out and get back to me.

Regards
Heinz

FoxTrot
sage

Reged: 06/01/06

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #5975553 - 07/17/13 08:25 AM

Hi Paul, Heinz
I also got onto Southern Stars, and as you said, it appears to be a hardware incompatibility issue. From Southern Stars perspective, the ball is in iOptron's court; I'm hopeful they will identify the problem and be able to sort it out.
Fox

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: FoxTrot]
      #5979239 - 07/19/13 07:06 AM

Today I went to see The dealer for iOptron in Tokyo. Very nice man, makes a lot himself. He had a ZEQ25 on display. The first one in Japan.
However, I noticed that the mount seemed to have a problem. It was very loose around the RA-axis. See the attached video. Does anybody of you know this problem, Or knows how to solve it?

Best regards
Heinz

rjsc2000
sage

Reged: 09/21/06

Loc: Portugal
      #5979245 - 07/19/13 07:13 AM

where's the video? i don't see it in attachment

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: rjsc2000]
      #5979296 - 07/19/13 08:12 AM

Post deleted by Ryuno

Ryuno
sage

#5979331 - 07/19/13 08:31 AM

Here it comes. Please click the link for download and/or watch.

http://www.adrive.com/public/JwxysB/IMG_2042.mov

Heinz

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

#5979638 - 07/19/13 11:19 AM

Quote:

Does anybody of you know this problem, Or knows how to solve it?

Go back to dealer, tighten the chrome plated tension screw on top of the RA and DEC housings all the way in, and one turn out. Then check the RA and DEC axes, it should be fine.

It looks like someone backed the tension screws out to unlock and rotate the RA axis and never tightened the screw back down afterwards.

You can download and/or read through the User's Instructions here:

https://www.ioptron.com/images/up/ZEQ25_Manual.pdf

Clear skies,

Paul

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5979770 - 07/19/13 12:46 PM

Quote:

Here it comes. Please click the link for download and/or watch.

http://www.adrive.com/public/JwxysB/IMG_2042.mov

Heinz

If the chrome plated round tension adjuster is loose, turn the Gear switch slightly and the play should stop and mount rigid. Then tighten the tension adjuster and after tightening, loosen by a turn or two.

j22rocks1

Reged: 02/05/09

Loc: Montevallo, AL
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5980092 - 07/19/13 04:17 PM Attachment (95 downloads)

First post here. I just received my ZEQ25 yesterday. Out of the box the only issue I encountered was the CW shaft "housing" was off center. By that I mean that in the Zero position, the shaft was pointing a bit to the right, about the 5:00 position. Easily corrected by loosening the set screws, and repositioning the shaft. I've attached an unguided 5 minute shot, 300% crop, of Alphecca. Even though it was through my 50mm lens, I was pretty impressed..

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: John Miele]
      #5982298 - 07/21/13 01:15 AM

Quote:

Dan,

Any progress on your one issue?

John

Hi John,

Got back from vacation late last Sunday and am finally done a hard week catching up at work.

The mount ended up working very well at the Golden State Star Party. I ended up stretching the springs a bit to increase the spring force (I don't recommend this for casual use, it was a kludge). The ES ED127 CF worked well with the mount, it slewed and tracked very well. It was a bit shakey for focusing (about 3 second damping time), but I no longer had a problem with it bouncing back and forth on the worm gear.

All in all, I would say that with the longer refractor tube and 21 lb OTA weight, it is at the upper limit for this mount visually.

The mount itself is a pleasure to use. As Paul has said, one-star alignment works fine for pointing.

My brother used the mount with his Olympus DSLR and 200mm lens. It did a perfect job of tracking for one minute exposures with basic polar alignment. This was his first experience with astrophotography, so it was nice that he did not have to fuss with the mount at all. He had other issues with his camera, but the mount worked perfectly.

I really hope iOptron comes out with a higher weight-class ZEQ mount in the near future. This one is a winner.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #5982744 - 07/21/13 10:54 AM

Quote:

First post here. I just received my ZEQ25 yesterday. Out of the box the only issue I encountered was the CW shaft "housing" was off center. By that I mean that in the Zero position, the shaft was pointing a bit to the right, about the 5:00 position. Easily corrected by loosening the set screws, and repositioning the shaft.

Hi, your offset shaft problem is best corrected by squaring up the RA and DEC axes to put the c/w shaft in the correct position.

Loosening the set screws and moving the shaft is not a good idea, because the top screw tightens into a special recess on the RA shaft to position it. The other two just tighten onto the shaft surface. The shaft may shift on you at some point because the top screw is not tightened into the recess/registration hole.

Follow the procedure outlined in this Pdf, and your issue should be solved, and your polar alignment and tracking will be improved as well.

Dropbox Z mount zero positon

Cheers,

Paul

j22rocks1

Reged: 02/05/09

Loc: Montevallo, AL
      #5983053 - 07/21/13 01:57 PM

Thanks Paul. I believe that the set screw was not in that recess out of the box, explains the shaft being out of alignment with everything else. I just now loosened the screw and had some play but hit resistance going in both directions. To me that means I'm hitting the walls of the recess. I loosened it a but more to put it in the same position it was before I moved it the other night and low and behold, the screw was hitting the shaft just outside the recess. Thanks for all if your info on this mount, pretty much sold me on it.

Peds
sage

Reged: 03/07/07

Loc: Brasília, Brazil
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: j22rocks1]
      #5983233 - 07/21/13 03:54 PM

Does anyone have any experience polar aligning this mount only with a rough compass, tiltmeter for rough alignment and then using the BrightStar Polar Alignment Routine to precisely align?

I ask because where I live, a polar scope is basically useless and I end up wasting a long time drift aligning.

P.

Ryuno
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Peds]
      #5985145 - 07/22/13 09:16 PM

Thank you Paul and Maverick199 for your help with my dealer's mount. I forwarded the advice to him and hopefully he can figure it out.

I am buying my ZEQ25 mount from him and I will be the first user in Japan, as far as I can see. As mentioned before, thanks to your reviews, Paul, here at CN and on Youtube. But it may take a few weeks of waiting. But then, the scope for it won't arrive either for another 2-3 weeks... patience...!

I read a little through the mount setup procedure in the ZEQ25-manual. There are several WARRNINGS about what to do and what to avoid. That's a good idea, don't you think? - to write the word with two "R". It gives it such an air of alert and urgency. Maybe WARRRNING would be even better...

Best regards
Heinz

Here is a picture of the iOptron dealer in Japan, Sanki-Opt at Akihabara. He is very friendly and an avid experienced amateur astronomer himself. He also makes a lot of items himself, such as all kinds of adapters, mounting rings for different scopes etc. A few of them are to be seen in the rack to the very left. I already found some light weight rings for my Sky90. I believe, he is a good choice to represent an innovative newcomer like iOptron on the Japanese market. By the way, he gave his consent to publish this photo on Cloudynights.
(Wow, I am sounding like an iOptron/Sanki salesman, don't I? Well, I assure you I have nothing to do with them. I just like their ideas and their dealer in Tokyo, that's all, just like John (am I right John?))

In the foreground on the left you can see the very first ZEQ25GT on Japanese soil, mounted with a Takahashi FS60. This is the demo model. I'll get the first regularly imported and sold one. I can hardly wait for it to arrive. In the shop, the mount looked solid, yet delicate. So far I can hardly imagine how it could possibly carry the CN-212 safely. But John says it can do it, so I believe it can.

Edited by Ryuno (07/23/13 09:11 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #5985606 - 07/23/13 08:11 AM

I noticed that too whilst reading the manual. I guess I may be the first in India too though I realized that only after reading your post. I got the Z71 too which fits in neatly on the mount.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Maverick199]
      #5988309 - 07/24/13 07:05 PM

Quote:

In the shop, the mount looked solid, yet delicate. So far I can hardly imagine how it could possibly carry the CN-212 safely. But John says it can do it, so I believe it can.

Heinz, when your mount arrives, do yourself a favor and switch the azimuth pin to the other side, unless you want to fight that tripod leg while trying to get to the polar scope...:)

I think the warrnings are very effective too. A typo, to be sure, but until I learn to read and write Chinese, I'm not going to criticize anyone...lol.

Cheers, and clear skies,

Paul

Pages: << 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | >> (show all)

Extra information
34 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55710

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics