Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5988767 - 07/25/13 12:08 AM

I'm debating between this and the AVX. A few concerns:

1. Can it hande a 10" Newt? OTA is 27 lbs, probably 31 with accessories. This is for visual.

2. Is the polar scope worth the extra $50? I can see Polaris from my observing spot. Can it be bought separately later or does it have to be bought at the same time as the mount?

3. Any word on a ZEQ45 model?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #5988859 - 07/25/13 01:10 AM

Quote:

I'm debating between this and the AVX. A few concerns:

1. Can it hande a 10" Newt? OTA is 27 lbs, probably 31 with accessories. This is for visual.

2. Is the polar scope worth the extra $50? I can see Polaris from my observing spot. Can it be bought separately later or does it have to be bought at the same time as the mount?

3. Any word on a ZEQ45 model?

Bill,
Neither this mount nor the AVX will handle a 10" OTA.
It's not just the weight, it's the moment of inertia, the wind resistance of the large tube, the barbell flexure of the shafts, the torsional twisting of the dovetail bar and the flexure of the rings.
In all honesty, the lightest mount you should even consider for mounting a 10" newtonian OTA, even if it's lighter, is the Losmandy G-11. Anything lighter will be an exercise in shimmy generation.
For a 10", you need a 4" dovetail bar, and that sort of sets the minimum mount for the OTA.
The Celestron CGEM-DX or the Synta EQ-6 or the Orion Atlas will not break with that OTA, but they will still perform poorly in even the most minor of breezes. Those mounts might do OK in an observatory, attached to a permanent pier. But is a portable scope, look for a Losmandy G-11 or something of similar capacity.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5989033 - 07/25/13 06:08 AM

Agree with Don. While both ZEQ25 and AVX are very capable mounts,( infact Astronewb has a video on youtube in which he demonstrates some 30 lbs on ZEQ ), the point which Don made about breeze and the Newt's volume feeding it makes sense.

If you chose a ZEQ25, then a Polar accualign will come in handy. There is also an App which you can download to see the exact position of Polaris on the Accualign so polar alignment becomes easy and the polar scope is always visible due to mounts unique design.

FoxTrot
sage

Reged: 06/01/06

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5989114 - 07/25/13 08:27 AM

Bill, I'm considering the ZEQ25 for my NP127is. The scope with rings, diagonal and EP will be around 8kg (~18 lbs), and I would consider that to be "near the upper end" of cruising weight and OTA size for the the ZEQ25 to handle. Agree with the other posts - a 10 inch Newt at 30 lbs would be way over the limit for the ZEQ25, and even a VX for that matter. The mount could hold it, but not well. I wouldn't consider anything less than an EQ6/AZEQ6 class mount to comfortably handle a 30 lbs 10 inch Newt. Fox

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: FoxTrot]
      #5989370 - 07/25/13 11:21 AM

You could definitely go up to 22 - 24 lbs without the mount breaking a sweat due to its Z design. I tried indoors and it works flawless. Bad weather so unable to test for AP as yet.

Peds
sage

Reged: 03/07/07

Loc: Brasília, Brazil
      #5990039 - 07/25/13 06:12 PM

Can anyone comment on how good polar alignment is without the polar scope?

Thanks,
P.

leveye

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: Oregon Coast
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Peds]
      #5991009 - 07/26/13 10:31 AM

You should read over all the old posts you will see. My main imaging area has no clear view of polaris and with a basic alignment of the mount and then a one star alignment i'm getting over 5 minute subs unguided if i do things properly when done precisely i can go over 10 minutes guided i cannot wait to get it in a real open imaging area and use the scope to align it i can only imagine how good it will be love this mount!

Edited by leveye (07/26/13 10:53 AM)

Bill McNeal
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: leveye]
      #5992367 - 07/27/13 02:35 AM

Can the polar scope be bought and user installed separately if you got the mount without it?

Peds
sage

Reged: 03/07/07

Loc: Brasília, Brazil
      #5993020 - 07/27/13 01:24 PM

Thanks leveye, I must have missed it.

P.

darethehair

Reged: 09/11/09

#5993046 - 07/27/13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Can the polar scope be bought and user installed separately if you got the mount without it?

Yes, and this is the doc that I used:

Instruction for iOptron ® AccuAligning TM Polar Scope

I recently got my own ZEQ25GT delivered, and the polar scope was a separate item that I had to install myself. Right now the outstanding issue appears to be that I did not get the Polar Scope LED that I think is part of the system, so I am awaiting word from my dealer.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: darethehair]
      #5993151 - 07/27/13 02:53 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

The LED is built in. You need to connect a small wire on the main unit ( reticle ) and underneath the polar scope there is a socket. Most likely you have this wire. Here is an image to show you though you don't need it.

tomdean

Reged: 10/04/09

#5993154 - 07/27/13 02:55 PM

I received a ZEQ25P today. The dec axis has 1/4 inch slop with no OTA mounted and the tensioner screwed all the way in.

Tom Dean

darethehair

#5993163 - 07/27/13 03:02 PM

Quote:

The LED is built in. You need to connect a small wire on the main unit ( reticle ) and underneath the polar scope there is a socket. Most likely you have this wire. Here is an image to show you though you don't need it.

In my case, the packaging included no such wire -- just a tightly-wrapped cylindrical polar scope, and the polar scope that I received does not appear to have the LED 'built in'. What complicates matters is that I was told by my dealer that the *original* polar scope had been discontinued and that he was waiting on back-order for the new model to arrive for my order (which explains why I was waiting many weeks for it to arrive). Since I have nothing to 'compare to', it is not clear to me what is 'different' about the 'new design'. I am speculating that the new design no longer has a 'built in' LED, but I really have no idea

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #5993702 - 07/27/13 09:36 PM

When you order a polar scope for the ZEQ mount, you do need to order the illuminator for it as well.

Unless you can get your mount polar aligned at dusk, when both the Polaris and reticle are visible, then you definitely need the illuminator.

It screws into the bottom of the polar scope and includes an overly long cable from the illuminator to the mount.

> https://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?select=productdetails&phid=70b4cac2-54b... <

Good luck,

Paul

darethehair

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5993734 - 07/27/13 10:00 PM

Quote:

When you order a polar scope for the ZEQ mount, you do need to order the illuminator for it as well.

Unless you can get your mount polar aligned at dusk, when both the Polaris and reticle are visible, then you definitely need the illuminator.

It screws into the bottom of the polar scope and includes an overly long cable from the illuminator to the mount.

> https://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?select=productdetails&phid=70b4cac2-54b... <

Good luck,

Paul

Paul, thanks for confirming my theory that the illuminator/cable are missing. I had placed an order with my dealer for the 'combo' ZEQ25 plus polar scope, so it is my assumption that the 'total package' should have included the illuminator (?), and that either iOptron or my dealer forgot to send it along with my polar scope

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5994140 - 07/28/13 04:41 AM

I ordered mine with Polar scope so perhaps that explains the built in LED and the wire. Hope you get the wire and LED soon.

meade8r

Reged: 08/24/07

Loc: Finger Lakes
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Maverick199]
      #5994430 - 07/28/13 10:05 AM

My ZEQ arrived with the polar scope loose in the RA axis. The LED illuminator, cable, and the set screw that holds the polar scope in place were missing. iOptron was able to send me the missing parts once I contacted them.

Bill McNeal
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: meade8r]
      #5995896 - 07/29/13 01:40 AM

How is the manual slewing, either by hand or using the hand controller?

Also is the polar scope needed if I can see Polaris from my viewing spot?

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #5996000 - 07/29/13 06:00 AM

Quote:

How is the manual slewing, either by hand or using the hand controller?

Also is the polar scope needed if I can see Polaris from my viewing spot?

You mean slewing by using the directional buttons? Its pretty good and you have several speeds to adjust to your liking.

A Polar scope is only useful if you can see Polaris or if living in the South, Octantis. If you can't see either that's when you do the Multi star alignment.

In other words, it would be a whole lot easier for you to just use the Polar scope, align to Polaris and start viewing. Note there is an iOptron app available for download for android phones which tells you exactly where Polaris should be on your Polar scope at your location / time.

Bill McNeal
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Maverick199]
      #6000356 - 07/31/13 05:46 PM

Thanks. Any word of a software uptake to be able to store PEC data or does it still have to be re-done every time?

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64652

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics