Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)
Bill McNeal
sage

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Bill McNeal]
      #6001414 - 08/01/13 02:24 PM

Also, would this be able to handle the ES 127? OTA weight is 22 lbs. and I will probably not use a finderscope and rely on the GoTo to save weight if needed. I have read others mounting it on a CG-5 so I figured the ZEQ25 might also handle it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #6002736 - 08/02/13 08:17 AM

Yes it will handle the 22 lbs but you would require an additional 2 kgs weight or extension as it would be tricky to get balance with just 4.5 kgs CW.

Dan Finnerty
sage

Reged: 09/11/11

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #6003540 - 08/02/13 04:52 PM

Quote:

Also, would this be able to handle the ES 127? OTA weight is 22 lbs. and I will probably not use a finderscope and rely on the GoTo to save weight if needed. I have read others mounting it on a CG-5 so I figured the ZEQ25 might also handle it.

I have been using it with my ES ED127CF. It slews and tracks very well. Focusing is a bit of an issue, it takes up to 5 seconds for vibrations to damp out, so high-power focusing takes a bit of patience. The mount is so nice to set up and operate that I find myself willing to put up with vibration damping rather than set up my G11/G2 mount, on which the ES127 is rock solid.

I suspect that wind would be a bit of a vibration problem as well, but so far I've only had calm conditions when observing (no complaints there )

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #6003570 - 08/02/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have been using it with my ES ED127CF. It slews and tracks very well. Focusing is a bit of an issue, it takes up to 5 seconds for vibrations to damp out, so high-power focusing takes a bit of patience. The mount is so nice to set up and operate that I find myself willing to put up with vibration damping rather than set up my G11/G2 mount, on which the ES127 is rock solid.

I suspect that wind would be a bit of a vibration problem as well, but so far I've only had calm conditions when observing (no complaints there )

Dan,

Are you using the sock 1.5" leg tripod?

Bill McNeal
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6003572 - 08/02/13 05:12 PM

I thought about going to a heavier mount like the AVX or CG5, but the light weight of this mount is extremely attractive for the grab-n-go.

How easy is it to change the tripod to a 2" after you receive it?

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #6003581 - 08/02/13 05:20 PM

Quote:

I thought about going to a heavier mount like the AVX or CG5, but the light weight of this mount is extremely attractive for the grab-n-go.

How easy is it to change the tripod to a 2" after you receive it?

Bill,

IOptron sells a,2" tripod made for the iEQ45. I don't know if it fits the 25. It looks the same on top as a CG5 tripod but I don't know about the thread/diameter. Maybe someone (Paul) that owns multiple mounts can be more informative. If that is the correct 2" legged tripod for the 25, it is about $250. That's a lot for an upgrade. Don't know how much it would cost if ordered at the time of the original purchase.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6003602 - 08/02/13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you tried the vibration suppression pads under the tripod feet? They work!

Dan Finnerty
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Mkofski]
      #6003705 - 08/02/13 06:31 PM

Yes I got it with the 1.5 inch legs. The two inch option was not yet available.

I'm thinking of ordering the 2 inch tripod. I hear it is available separately for $200ish. If ordering new, and planning to use a larger scope (4 inch refractor for example), I would order with the 2 inch legs. My brother just got one and said the tripod is really beefy. So if you don't plan on using it for more than say an 80mm refractor or DSLR with camera lenses, then the smaller tripod would be just fine.

Paul Chasse seems to feel the 1.5 inch tripod is fine even with larger telescopes, and he has more experience with the mount than anyone, so pay your money and take your chances!

Dan Finnerty
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Starman1]
      #6003707 - 08/02/13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Have you tried the vibration suppression pads under the tripod feet? They work!

You know, I have some and have not used them for this mount. Thanks for the reminder! I will give them a try and let people know if they help significantly.

Bill McNeal
sage

#6003730 - 08/02/13 06:44 PM

Which ones do you have Dan? I'm thinking of getting the Celestron ones for $40 but it seems like there's a cheaper home-made solution we should be able to come up with. It's just some pieces of rubber, right?

Shalamar

Reged: 07/21/08

#6004933 - 08/03/13 02:49 PM

I'd like to thank people here for the comments and suggestions on the ZEQ25 mount. I purchased one about a month back, and I've been enjoying it.

I have been having problems trying to align it properly (Though I strongly suspect user error, as it is my first EQ mount) and I hope the suggestions about getting a zero point for it will help immensely!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6004940 - 08/03/13 02:54 PM

Quote:

Which ones do you have Dan? I'm thinking of getting the Celestron ones for $40 but it seems like there's a cheaper home-made solution we should be able to come up with. It's just some pieces of rubber, right?

Well. Kinda... Sorbothane. Some homemade solutions will work, but not as well. Spend the 40 bucks. I've had much higher bar tabs this summer.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #6005144 - 08/03/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

I have heard of some users going to their local sporting good stores and buying 3 practice hockey pucks (soft rubber) and using those?

Fwiw,

Paul

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6005965 - 08/04/13 08:51 AM

I also have used my ES127ED on my ZEQ25 and saw excellent performance in pointing and tracking for visual use. I haven't tried imaging yet with that setup.
The 2" tripod on the iEQ45 has an entirely different interface to the mount. I don't think that you could use the ZEQ25 mount with the iEQ45 tripod.
Bob

Dan Finnerty
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: rmollise]
      #6007887 - 08/05/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well. Kinda... Sorbothane. Some homemade solutions will work, but not as well. Spend the 40 bucks. I've had much higher bar tabs this summer.

Like Uncle Rod said, they are not just any rubber. I have the Celestron pads and they do work. Now I just need to use them with the ZEQ!

Dan Finnerty
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: rkayakr]
      #6007891 - 08/05/13 04:08 PM

Quote:

I also have used my ES127ED on my ZEQ25 and saw excellent performance in pointing and tracking for visual use. I haven't tried imaging yet with that setup.
The 2" tripod on the iEQ45 has an entirely different interface to the mount. I don't think that you could use the ZEQ25 mount with the iEQ45 tripod.
Bob

iOptron tech support said that there is a 2" tripod available for the ZEQ 25. It has the proper interface, and they quoted approx $200 for it. I think I'm going to order it, but have not seen fit to cough up the bucks yet.

Saxxon

Reged: 03/15/13

Loc: Juneau, Alaska, US
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Dan Finnerty]
      #6008125 - 08/05/13 06:30 PM

I was planning on purchasing the ZEQ25 some time ago but living in Alaska during the summer there isnít much point in star gazing since the only star I can see is the Sun. Summer is coming to an end here soon and I can see stars late at night again, thus I am once again considering this mount. My question is, if anyone is willing to answer, since I will be using this mount only for wide-field photography (until I can scrape some more cash for a scope) what accessories I will need to purchase with the mount to be able to attach my camera to the mount. A shopping list of items would be much appreciated. This will be my first mount so my knowledge is severely lacking, other than the research I have done over the summer and there is no local authority to confer with for ideas. Iím pretty sure I will need a ball mount but I donít know which ones are better than others. Iím hoping to not break the bank with just accessories though.
Are vibrations pads needed? Recommended? Anything else I will need or would be beneficial? If I should have made my own post I am sorry. Seems like most people were asking questions here.

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Saxxon]
      #6008441 - 08/05/13 09:46 PM

The actual cost of the 2" tripod when purchased with the mount is 100$ more. SO the mount with a 2" tripod and polar scope is 948$. Honestly, I have no idea if the extra 100$ was worth it for the tripod as I have nothing to compare it with. The extra 50$ for the polar scope was well worth it if you can see Polaris (the hand controller will tell you exactly where to place Polaris on the clock face of the polar scope). Can get within a couple of arc minutes of perfect alignment with having to deal with drift alignment.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Paulimer]
      #6008979 - 08/06/13 08:55 AM

So the ZEQ25 would make an excellent imaging platform for the AT65EDQ, from what I am seeing here. Has anyone here used this combo? I am about to recieve the AT65 and am thinking down the road about mating it with the ZEQ25, rather than piggybacking it on my CPC 925.

rkayakr
sage

Reged: 10/27/10

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Seanem44]
      #6009207 - 08/06/13 11:20 AM

Saxxon
I doubt that you would need pads for wide field photography. To start you need the mount, a power supply and a short piece of dovetail bar. You attach the camera to the dovetail bar with a standard 1/4-20 screw. If you want more flexibility in framing you can insert a ball head between the dovetail and the camera. I use the Orion Precision Slow-Motion Adapter.
The ZEQ25 is a great mount, but if you are cash short and expect to get a smaller scope later you can also go with the iOptron SmartEQ Pro. That is more than enough for a camera or a small scope and has a built in battery pack. You might also consider a discontinued Celestron CG5-GT which is on clearance sale.
Bob

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55344

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics