Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)
Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ebeyonder]
      #6069846 - 09/08/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

This is a very intriguing mount! Does anyone have any real-life experience mounting a C11 to this mount? I suppose the C11 is within the advertised load for this mount, but it just seems a bit huge for it?

I don't own any SCT's, but I have imaged with a AT10 RC on the little Z mount. Had 67 pounds total weight, including counterweights (all I owned) and it did pretty well at 2000mm focal length for 2 and 4 minute exposures.

Here's an image off the Z mount with the AT10RC:

NGC6946 the Fireworks Galaxy by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

Not too shabby considering the weight and focal length the mount was carrying?

Hope it helps, I wouldn't recommend more than about 18-20 pounds for good imaging off the mount, but in a pinch it will carry more than its rated capacity. Proper balance and correct tensioning of the worms is critical when you start putting a ton of weight on the z-balanced design.

Hope the info helps,

Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ebeyonder
sage

Reged: 10/16/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6070517 - 09/09/13 12:31 AM

Wow that's amazing! Thanks for the info

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: ebeyonder]
      #6070576 - 09/09/13 01:33 AM

Help!

I ordered the ZEQ25 plus Powerweight battery pack, but the battery pack is out of stock aat iOptron.

How can I power up the mount out in the field? Any easy not too heavy solutions?

Thanks.
Heinz

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Ryuno]
      #6070589 - 09/09/13 01:43 AM

I just ordered a zEQ25 from Woodland Hills (telescopes.net). They have the PowerWeight on sale for $120. I'm sure there would be a shipping charge but this may be better than spending money on a temporary solution.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

#6070605 - 09/09/13 02:12 AM

Heinz,any of the commercially available power tanks will work with iOptron mounts. The Celestron 7 ah small unit is pretty inexpensive and will power the mount for several nights without recharging.

Plus, you'll have a spotlight to annoy other imagers with...:) And an extra 12 vdc receptacle and 6, 9 and 12 vdc din connectors. Hint, the 9vdc is awesome to run a camera all night with.

Hope the info helps if you can't find the powerweight.

Best,

Paul

Ryuno
sage

#6071007 - 09/09/13 10:45 AM

Thank you, Paul and Mike, for your ideas. For the time being, my dealer gave me a Vixen battery pack for 8 mignon cells. While I wait for the Powerweight to arrive.
I'll look into the other solutions too, Paul.
I tried to mount my CN-212 onto the ZEQ25 tonight, but had not realized that I needed a dovetail. Which one is it, the Vixen or the Losmandy type?
Have to visit the dealer again tomorrow.

Furthermore I had a little accident due to my own stupidity. I attached the counterweight, then tilted the tripod to extend the legs, and of course the counterweight started to pull on the cogwheels which resulted in an ugly noise of two cogwheels gliding on each other. Do you think I destroyed the mechanism? Good start, wasn't it?

I also noticed that the slewing speed was extremely slow when using the arrow keys on the HC. Is that normal? How can I slew faster?

Other than that the mount is beautiful. I like it.

Heinz

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

#6071025 - 09/09/13 10:58 AM

Quote:

Thank you, Paul and Mike, for your ideas. For the time being, my dealer gave me a Vixen battery pack for 8 mignon cells. While I wait for the Powerweight to arrive.
I'll look into the other solutions too, Paul.
I tried to mount my CN-212 onto the ZEQ25 tonight, but had not realized that I needed a dovetail. Which one is it, the Vixen or the Losmandy type?
Have to visit the dealer again tomorrow.

Furthermore I had a little accident due to my own stupidity. I attached the counterweight, then tilted the tripod to extend the legs, and of course the counterweight started to pull on the cogwheels which resulted in an ugly noise of two cogwheels gliding on each other. Do you think I destroyed the mechanism? Good start, wasn't it?

I also noticed that the slewing speed was extremely slow when using the arrow keys on the HC. Is that normal? How can I slew faster?

Other than that the mount is beautiful. I like it.

Heinz

Heinz, the dovetail is a 'Vixen' type.

As far as the noise and the counterweights slipping in RA, that wont cause any damage normally, but it will get your attention when the worm cams off the ring gear..:)

Now you know why the mount must be balanced and the tension screws run all the way in, then backed out a turn or two.

I suspect the tension screw was not tight when that occurred?

Slewing speeds on the mount are governed by the numeric keys on the Hand Controller. Key '1' is the slowest, key '9' is the Max. Just hit a number key, then slew with the buttons. If you want to stop an automatic slew for any reason, just hit the '0' or the 'back' button.

Clear skies,

Paul

Ryuno
sage

#6071075 - 09/09/13 11:22 AM

Thanks Paul,

what a relief! Yes, I had, as stated in the manual, tightened the tension screws all the way in, the two turns out again, when it happened.

I understand that the 5kg counterweight will not be enough to balance the 8.5 kg Cn-212. Unfortunately, I cannot use the Tak counterweights from my P2Z, because the Tak shaft is slimmer. Will a shaft extension work ok?

Heinz

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

#6071699 - 09/09/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks Paul,

what a relief! Yes, I had, as stated in the manual, tightened the tension screws all the way in, the two turns out again, when it happened.

I understand that the 5kg counterweight will not be enough to balance the 8.5 kg Cn-212. Unfortunately, I cannot use the Tak counterweights from my P2Z, because the Tak shaft is slimmer. Will a shaft extension work ok?

Heinz

Hello Heinz, I don't know of any extensions that are available for the Z mount (yet). However, I have a Celestron counterweight (CG5-5kg)) that fits the Z shaft.

Any counterweight with a 20mm bore will fit the Z mount, it's not partial to make...:)

Maybe you can find some locally? Or at least regionally.

Best,

Paul

Ryuno
sage

#6072756 - 09/10/13 08:23 AM Attachment (89 downloads)

Success! Here she is, her majesty the CN-212 on a ZEQ25 mount.
A beauty awaiting her nuptial night! It will come sooner or later.

Heinz

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6073216 - 09/10/13 01:20 PM

I recently picked up an SV80ED Raptor to get back into imaging and considering mounts. This looks like a nice candidate!

Jason

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Ryuno]
      #6073243 - 09/10/13 01:38 PM

Heinz,

That looks all wrong! I'm already impressed with what I've seen on this mount. Please let us know how it works with your beautiful CN-212.

Mike

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Undermidnight]
      #6073246 - 09/10/13 01:40 PM

Quote:

I recently picked up an SV80ED Raptor to get back into imaging and considering mounts. This looks like a nice candidate!

Jason

Jason,

I think this mount would be a great fit for an 80mm refractor and you'll have room to grow if you want to get a bigger OTA later.

Mike

calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6073293 - 09/10/13 01:59 PM

Hey would anyone recommend the ieq35 over this zeq25? I am ready to move on from my Cg5-gt for something which will give me more consistent exposure time and also entertain the usage of an 8 or 10" carbon fiber newtonian. I was imaging this weekend with 2 other people and one had an atlas, the other a cgem, and their graphs were so smooth and nothing was finicky. I spent alot more time trying to fix problems than I spent imaging which was really disappointing. the CG5 is probably the best mount to learn on because you will figure out what and why causes every kind of problem and how to fix it. I think Im ready to graduate to a new mount now.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: calypsob]
      #6073430 - 09/10/13 03:31 PM

Quote:

Hey would anyone recommend the ieq35 over this zeq25? I am ready to move on from my Cg5-gt for something which will give me more consistent exposure time and also entertain the usage of an 8 or 10" carbon fiber newtonian. I was imaging this weekend with 2 other people and one had an atlas, the other a cgem, and their graphs were so smooth and nothing was finicky. I spent alot more time trying to fix problems than I spent imaging which was really disappointing. the CG5 is probably the best mount to learn on because you will figure out what and why causes every kind of problem and how to fix it. I think Im ready to graduate to a new mount now.

Hi,

I tried for a long time to pick between the iEq30 and the zEQ25 and finally ordered a 25. The load capacity of the 2 mounts is very close and, if anything, it looks as if the 25 is underrated. For the $300 or $400 difference I didn't think the 30 was worth it. I also wanted the lightest mount I could find that would be good for intermediate astrophotography. The biggest advantage of the 30 is that the hand controller has more objects and, I think, PEC can be stored rather than done each time. I decided that those didn't make enough difference. If you want a better mount than the 25, I'd look at the iEQ45.

The iOptron tech support seems to be great but problems with the mount initially aren't unusual. To their credit, they ship parts to fix problems rather than having you ship the mount back for repairs.

calypsob
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/13

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Mkofski]
      #6073653 - 09/10/13 05:56 PM

interesting. can the ieq30 handcontroller be used with a zeq25?

gramaglia

Reged: 04/02/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: calypsob]
      #6073855 - 09/10/13 08:20 PM

I went through the same reasoning as mike when I decided to buy my ZEQ25. The weight of the mount was a major deciding point for me. The lack of PPEC was not really an issue since I autoguide ( can't figure out from various sources if using PEC and autoguiding at the same time is a positive or negative - mount getting 2 corrections at the same time may cause issues is the reason not to use PEC while autoguiding - No idea if it's true as I never had PEC available) - The controller with less objects was complete non issue - plenty of items for me to image for the rest of my days and if in case I really want to image an object not on the controller I can quickly add it. Based on my experience with the mount and various anecdotal evidence from this forum and others the weight capacity is may not be per se underrated but the 1/2 2/3 weight limit for imaging versus visual can be stretched to a full 1. It seems that with careful balancing and care a full 27 lbs of equipment can be used for imaging. I'm guessing Paul had close to 40 lbs of equipment on his mount when using is RC10. I honestly cannot see using 40+lbs on this mount for imaging (I appreciate Paul's stress test to measure the theoretical limits) but 25 lbs should fine and leaving enough margin for error for consistent use.
I'm also looking for a larger OTA for this mount but I have excluded the 10" imaging Newtonian. It's 30lbs just for the OTA and again be in Paul's stress test range of 40+ lbs when rings camera etc. is included. The 8" Newtonian is a much more reasonable possibility which I am considering at the moment. 16lbs OTA should bring imaging gear total to around 25lbs.

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: gramaglia]
      #6073883 - 09/10/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

Success! Here she is, her majesty the CN-212 on a ZEQ25 mount.
A beauty awaiting her nuptial night! It will come sooner or later.

Looks beautiful Heinz, hey, if it's cloudy, just sit there and look at the setup...

But one thing, the tripods come with the azimuth peg on the south side, you will have a lot more room to access the polar scope if you move the peg to the other side, over the front leg.

Makes it easier to square up the mount and establish a zero point too.

With a lot of weight on the mount, start with the worm tension adjuster screws about 1 turn (180 degrees) out. Even 90 degrees works fine on my mount, avoid tightening it all the way, it may cause an 'overcurrent' message to display if the worm is meshed too tight for the motor to turn it freely.

Grats on a great looking setup,

Best,

Paul

Edited by Astronewb (09/11/13 01:31 AM)

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

#6073886 - 09/10/13 08:33 PM

Quote:

interesting. can the ieq30 handcontroller be used with a zeq25?

No it can't. The iEQ30 is equipped with the feature rich '8407' hand controller. The ZEQ25 and Smart EQs share the '8408' controller, which don't have as large a database as the 8407s.

Cheers,

Paul

RandyC
sage

Reged: 04/01/13

Loc: RI
      #6073935 - 09/10/13 08:58 PM

Why would you want to do that? You will never use those extra objects in the database. You'd need Hubble to get those dim objects anyway. What is the new Polar Assist Feature?
Clear Skies, RandyC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/galaxygardens

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 64781

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics