Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Craig L
sage

Reged: 05/10/03

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: leveye]
      #5886128 - 05/26/13 07:47 PM

Quote:

I tried 3 other 12v 1000ma power supplies as well, and the problems did not go away

My power adaptor is 1500ma

Once I get this mount fixed I may try a 1500ma power supply as well. Did your mount come with that one? Also, how do you control the mount with Sky Safari and an iPad?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Craig L
sage

#5886136 - 05/26/13 07:51 PM

Quote:

Mine has the same electronic chatter noises right after and during slewing sometimes with no issues.Might it be the GPS? I did have an R.A. Over current message the first time i turned the mount on and traced it to having the polar scope LED on while slewing after polar aligning the mount either unplugging the led power cord or turning it down/off with the HC both stopped the message and it never occurs now.

I wish mine could be solved that easily. I've had the LED power cord unplugged since last evening. The GPS chip could be part of the noise thing. The problem is that there's not enough circuitry to keep the cross-talk down.

leveye

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: Oregon Coast
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Craig L]
      #5886150 - 05/26/13 08:00 PM

The actual noise level of it is not an issue with me you have to be almost right on it to notice it.What would be the repercussions from it if any?

Craig L
sage

#5886153 - 05/26/13 08:06 PM

Quote:

The actual noise level of it is not an issue with me you have to be almost right on it to notice it.What would be the repercussions from it if any?

Good question, and I'm not sure. My friend, the tech, thought it could affect tracking accuracy, but that does not seem to be an issue with this mount based on this discussion thread and others.

leveye

#5886161 - 05/26/13 08:09 PM

Yes it is the one that was supplied with it model# FY1201500
Southern Stars has a Wi-fi usb and serial port adaptor called the skyfi iOptron is mentioned in the description as one of the brands now controllable.
http://southernstars.com/products/skyfi/index.html

Craig L
sage

#5886286 - 05/26/13 10:03 PM

Quote:

Southern Stars has a Wi-fi usb and serial port adaptor called the skyfi iOptron is mentioned in the description as one of the brands now controllable.

My bad. Mine is a 1500ma PSU as well.

Craig L
sage

#5886299 - 05/26/13 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My bad. Mine is a 1500ma PSU as well.

Thanks for the info. This looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.

And as to my mount problem, I just got an email from the dealer I bought it from. They and iOptron are all over this and want to make sure that the issue is resolved as quickly and as cleanly as possible. Great customer service is what earns my loyalty.

Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
      #5886329 - 05/26/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

The problem is that there's not enough circuitry to keep the cross-talk down.

Hi Craig, you and Chris are making me feel bad, I didn't get a AC power supply with mine...:( I have only used it with a 12v power tank since I got it.

As far as that 'cross talk' noise. When it's doing it, try adjusting the tensioner in or out a half a turn to see it it stops. I had that occur in DEC one evening, and just turning the DEC tensioner stopped it, like the worm wasn't seated and didn't quite know it's position.

I had tried moving it in DEC and RA while that was occurring, with just speed '1', but it didn't affect it. That's when I checked the tensioner.

Might work for your mount? If not, and the issue persists, iOptron will be very happy to get it back to diagnose, and give you a new one, I'm sure.

Just for giggles, can you try it with a 12v battery supply if you have one available? Maybe your electricity is no good....;) Lol.

Best,

Paul

leveye

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5886371 - 05/26/13 11:28 PM

Agreed that iOptron has great Tech and customer service one of the best i have dealt with so far.

When i first turn the mount on and it's at zero position it's totally quiet if i move in R.A. or DEC using the direction buttons i get a faint electronic "Computer" chatter noise that continues even after i stop after awhile it stops all by itself. I tried turning the gear switch locking screws while the noise was going as Paul suggested but it did nothing to stop it. Guess it's just part of the design and the mount uniqueness. Again it causes no issues at all that i can see cept the noise.

leveye

#5886457 - 05/27/13 12:56 AM

Paul our electricity here is so bad it's Shocking..

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5886688 - 05/27/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

think it's a power regulation issue on the board.

Of a sort maybe. 1000 mils is not much for a go-to mount. Your best bet? Try it with a 12vdc battery.

mshedden

Reged: 10/05/12

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: rmollise]
      #5887044 - 05/27/13 12:48 PM

FWIW, both the 30 and 45 series mounts are specified as being supplied with a 2 amp power supply, but the ZEQ25 only a 1.5?

Aaron Worley

Reged: 10/21/05

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5887135 - 05/27/13 01:37 PM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip on adjusting the gear tension! I wasn't positive how to go about it, so you saved me some time and guesswork.

I was able to test the autoguiding again last night, I backed the gear tension screws out a little over one turn, and both RA and Dec guiding are working fine now. Hopefully they'll update the manual to include this information.

Thanks again for the advice.

Aaron

Craig L
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: mshedden]
      #5887649 - 05/27/13 06:43 PM

Quote:

FWIW, both the 30 and 45 series mounts are specified as being supplied with a 2 amp power supply, but the ZEQ25 only a 1.5?

The other 2 mounts have a higher weight capacity, so they may have larger power supplies to deal with the torque that heavier loads bring to bear.

Craig L
sage

#5887658 - 05/27/13 06:52 PM Attachment (115 downloads)

FYI, a colleague of mine bought the mount this week as well. He's a technician, so he decided to take a peek "under the hood". He wanted to take a look at the motors to see what was on the circuit boards and get a handle on why there's cross-talk.

Edited by Craig L (05/27/13 06:53 PM)

Craig L
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Craig L]
      #5887662 - 05/27/13 06:54 PM Attachment (116 downloads)

2nd picture

Craig L
sage

#5887663 - 05/27/13 06:54 PM Attachment (94 downloads)

3 of 3

Craig L
sage

#5887692 - 05/27/13 07:15 PM Attachment (111 downloads)

My co-worker set up the mount on his deck this evening to test out a few things. There's 25lbs of weight and 15lbs of telescope. He has it perfectly balanced. I'm assuming that, even though balanced, this is not a good idea to run as a permanent setup? Thoughts?

Edited by Craig L (05/27/13 07:27 PM)

mshedden

Reged: 10/05/12

#5887737 - 05/27/13 07:31 PM

Specs allow for up to 25lbs not including counterweights.

Seems to me he could use a lot less counterweight if it was at the end of the counterweight shaft? I think iOptron offer a 2kg weight - maybe that and the supplied weight would be sufficient (if the supplied weight alone at the end of the shaft is not enough).

Edited by mshedden (05/27/13 07:36 PM)

Craig L
sage

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: mshedden]
      #5887764 - 05/27/13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Specs allow for up to 25lbs not including counterweights.

Seems to me he could use a lot less counterweight if it was at the end of the counterweight shaft? I think iOptron offer a 2kg weight - maybe that and the supplied weight would be sufficient (if the supplied weight alone at the end of the shaft is not enough).

Thanks for that. There was some confusion on our part as to whether the 27lb rated payload included the counterweights. Some mounts count them, others do not. The manual isn't clear as it says on page 4 the rated payload weight, but no mention of counterweights.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55640

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics