Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Partow Izadi

Reged: 04/18/07

Loc: FINLAND / Rovaniemi.
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: SunBlack]
      #5837845 - 05/03/13 09:00 AM

So sad: It seems that this beautiful mount will be useless at my 66°31'N latitude (yes just a few km south of the Arctic Circle).

As I understand, it's latitude range is 0°-60°.

Does anyone know, if the tripod could be tilted to compensate for the extra 6°-7° without getting the whole thing out of balance and risking a topple?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: SunBlack]
      #5838062 - 05/03/13 10:45 AM

Quote:

When u have time, even on light polluted sky, try those shots unguided i asked for, please. And please confirm or not 20 arc seconds with PecPrep.

I haven't forgotten about you Luca, for your shots I need to put the 55-250 Canon T3i on the mount. More importantly, I need to be on the other side of my house for a view to the south and the meridian to get as close to 0 dec as possible. I was imaging on the north side of my house, with no view to the south...:)

Ciao,

Paul

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: Astronewb]
      #5838117 - 05/03/13 11:12 AM

Good stuff Paul.

You can record PE even if you are shooting away from the equator, when you start PECPrep you can enter the DEC used to create the PE log and PECPrep will compensate accordingly.

Cheers,

Jose

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions new [Re: tjugo]
      #5838718 - 05/03/13 04:35 PM

Quote:

Good stuff Paul.

You can record PE even if you are shooting away from the equator, when you start PECPrep you can enter the DEC used to create the PE log and PECPrep will compensate accordingly.

Cheers,

Jose

Thanks for that info Jose, I never knew you could do that. I checked it again with the DEC I was imaging at:

PecPrep Corrected DEC by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

Thanks again for the info,

Paul

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

#5839313 - 05/03/13 11:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

When u have time, even on light polluted sky, try those shots unguided i asked for, please. And please confirm or not 20 arc seconds with PecPrep.

I haven't forgotten about you Luca, for your shots I need to put the 55-250 Canon T3i on the mount. More importantly, I need to be on the other side of my house for a view to the south and the meridian to get as close to 0 dec as possible. I was imaging on the north side of my house, with no view to the south...:)

Ciao,

Paul

Okay Luca, just for you. I imaged these 5 shots, from 60 to 240 secs, unguided, at +4 degrees from 0 Dec at the meridian. Canon T3i @ 203mm/F5.6. Just a simple polar scope align, and a One Star align to Kocab, then a slew to the area of M61.

60 seconds:

LIGHT_60s_800iso by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

90 Seconds:

LIGHT_90s_800iso by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

120 seconds:

LIGHT_120s_800iso by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

180 seconds:

LIGHT_180s_800iso by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

240 seconds:

LIGHT_240s_800iso by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

No processing was done, all images captured in Byeos at ISO 800. I hope this is what you wanted...my question is, why or what did you want them for...???

Regards,

Paul

Edited by Astronewb (05/03/13 11:20 PM)

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
      #5839602 - 05/04/13 05:57 AM

Thank you so much. Since i do AP not guiding, i would see this mount behaviour in this respect. I'm evaluting a lighter mount than my vixen gpdx but which have the same or better tracking.
About your images, at that resolution max 1280 x 853 i cant judge. Even at 4 min they seem perfect. It'd be great if u could upload the original jpgs (in a zip file) on one of those fre hosting services .

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: SunBlack]
      #5839863 - 05/04/13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Even at 4 min they seem perfect.

They are not 'perfect', but they would be after stacking and processing...:)

I just uploaded the 240 sec unguided image where trailing just started to occur. You can check it at max resolution here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/astronewb2011/8706544767/

Again, no adjustments for tracking or drift, just a simple polar scope align and One Star align for go-to's.

With fine tuning via the 'Polar Align' routine in the hand controller, you can image almost anything, in any area of the sky.

If you ever decide to autoguide, the mount is capable of exposures in the 5 to 10 minute range without trailing.

Clear skies, and good luck,

Paul

timmbottoni
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/25/05

Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Astronewb]
      #5839867 - 05/04/13 10:41 AM

Paul how does it compare to the iEQ45?

Just curious since I just got an iEQ45

Thanks,

Timm

darethehair

Reged: 09/11/09

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: timmbottoni]
      #5839918 - 05/04/13 11:16 AM

I'm also curious about a comparison to other models like the IEQ45, but in just roughly comparing the mechanical specs it looks like the IEQ30 is a closer match. I really cannot afford either, but it seems to me that the ZEQ25 matches the IEQ30 for about $500 less. True?

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: timmbottoni]
      #5840591 - 05/04/13 07:03 PM

Quote:

Paul how does it compare to the iEQ45?

Just curious since I just got an iEQ45

Thanks,

Timm

'
Hi Timm, that's really not a 'apples to apples' comparison.

The ZEQ25 is a lighter mount, with less payload, and it's a brand new design (Z-Balanced).

I would think, that if the ZEQ25 had the same payload capacity (thinking ZEQ45 here), then I would prefer the ZEQ45. With an OTA and full counterweights, the balance is so perfect you can move the lat adjuster with two fingers.

On my iEQ45, I need to use the included lat lever to move it up at all when loaded, due to the offset weight.

The Z-balanced design also has less inherent periodic error since both RA and DEC gears are the same size, and the cogged gears have more teeth, that along with the balance results in a smoother overall graph.

I'm not going to give up my iEQ45 anytime soon, it's a good mount all around, with absolutely no bad habits in the two years I've owned it. And, the 8407 hand controller with the iEQ45 has many more features than the ZEQ25.

Clear skies,

Paul

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: darethehair]
      #5840595 - 05/04/13 07:05 PM

Quote:

I'm also curious about a comparison to other models like the IEQ45, but in just roughly comparing the mechanical specs it looks like the IEQ30 is a closer match. I really cannot afford either, but it seems to me that the ZEQ25 matches the IEQ30 for about $500 less. True?

Hmnn...yep, pretty much.

Best,

Paul

vdb
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

#5841096 - 05/05/13 02:45 AM

I have owned a IEQ45, and sold it as I was building a remote setup an had a "better" mount ... I regret it as the main benefit of a portable mount is portability ... The avalon with its herculus wooden tripod weighs to much, and I don't image as often anymore.

I'm looking at the 25 with lots of interest, I would be interested in a session with the RC6 to see if it can handle longer focal length ...

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: vdb]
      #5841478 - 05/05/13 11:24 AM

Quote:

I'm looking at the 25 with lots of interest, I would be interested in a session with the RC6 to see if it can handle longer focal length ...

It will handle the AT6RC, but you will need an additional counterweight to balance it. I've recently acquired a AT6RC, and am just about done with setup and spacer/reducer configurations, but haven't done any serious imaging with it yet on the ZEQ25.

Here's an unguided image with the AT6RC on the ZEQ25, 120 second exposures:

M101_Composite by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

That one is with the CCDT67 reducer, so about 1000mm focal length. Hoping to get out with the AT6RC tonight to add some autoguided data.

This is what I had to do to get it balanced, 5 lb cw, 7 lb power tank, and 2 lb cw:

ZEQ25 imaging setup by Astronewb2011, on Flickr

Clear skies,

Paul

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

#5841502 - 05/05/13 11:38 AM

Paul, thx again, i supposed 240s could have been too much; what can u say about the 180s one? At full res it'd be pinpoint, isn't it?

Partow Izadi

Reged: 04/18/07

Loc: FINLAND / Rovaniemi.
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Partow Izadi]
      #5842354 - 05/05/13 08:09 PM

I would be grateful for a comment on my question below.

Quote:

Does anyone know, if the tripod could be tilted to compensate for the extra 6°-7° without getting the whole thing out of balance and risking a topple?

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

#5847978 - 05/08/13 03:06 PM

UP
Quote:

Paul, thx again, i supposed 240s could have been too much; what can u say about the 180s one? At full res it'd be pinpoint, isn't it?

Saxxon

Reged: 03/15/13

Loc: Juneau, Alaska, US
      #5848062 - 05/08/13 03:50 PM

Been busy looking for my first new mount. And after looking at alot of them, I had decided on another. but after reading this post as well as reading about the 75 minute exposure I am back at looking at the 25. although the range says up to 60 degrees, me being at 58 would I have issues being that close to the max?

So I don't have to make a new post and I hope I am not hijacking a thread by asking this. Is it best to buy directly from iOptron or does someone have a suggested site to buy from? There are no local shops to buy from so if someone can guide me to a site that does free/cheap shipping to Alaska that would be amazing. Thanks.

Edited by Saxxon (05/08/13 04:58 PM)

Astronewb
Pooh-Bah

Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Saxxon]
      #5848248 - 05/08/13 05:19 PM

Quote:

Been busy looking for my first new mount. And after looking at alot of them, I had decided on another. but after reading this post as well as reading about the 75 minute exposure I am back at looking at the 25. although the range says up to 60 degrees, me being at 58 would I have issues being that close to the max?

So I don't have to make a new post and I hope I am not hijacking a thread by asking this. Is it best to buy directly from iOptron or does someone have a suggested site to buy from? There are no local shops to buy from so if someone can guide me to a site that does free/cheap shipping to Alaska that would be amazing. Thanks.

Wow, you're way up there, almost under Polaris...:)

I would think the only problem you would have, is what everyone has at that latitude, the need for a pier extension to make viewing and polar aligning easier.

I know the ZEQ25, with a longish 90mm and Dslr setup on it, clears the tripod legs by about 2 inches at 75 degrees. And I know why I got the camera with a flip out lcd screen too...!

You can order directly from iOptron, or from any of the dealers linked from their website, I'm not sure which has the best deals on shipping?

Best,

Paul

Saxxon

Reged: 03/15/13

Loc: Juneau, Alaska, US
      #5848397 - 05/08/13 06:21 PM

Thanks for the Info. I should be making my purchase in a week or two. Guess I'll be hunting for a decent shipping rate till then.

coinboy1
sage

Reged: 05/03/11

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Re: iOptron ZEQ25, initial impressions [Re: Saxxon]
      #5857436 - 05/13/13 12:50 PM

Reading these posts on the ZEQ25 makes me more and more intrigued about this mount. Especially after seeing the 75minute guided exposure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 65035

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics