Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

ISS flyover 6:20P 2/27 SoCal + neigbouring friends
      #5704256 - 02/27/13 08:54 PM

(SPOT THE STATION)
"
Time: Wed Feb 27 6:21 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 73 degrees, Appears: NW, Disappears: SE
"

These values should be fairly approximate for most of the L.A. area..

Last night was quite nice, and this one ought to be even more of a doozy, the figures say! More tomorrow as well.. my gear is all ready and waiting

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jay

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Southern California
Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5704313 - 02/27/13 09:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I saw your post at 6:19 and went out to look and caught the fly over just in time. Nice view from the Mission Viejo area.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5704339 - 02/27/13 09:45 PM

Thanks for the tips.

I went out from kitchen with camera and got a shot.
400mm at f/5.6, 0.4 second exposure.

It was so bright. I enjoyed it while I was preparing for dinner

Tammy

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5704373 - 02/27/13 10:07 PM

Nice view from Long Beach, California too. No clouds.

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5704411 - 02/27/13 10:18 PM

That was amazing! Thank you for posting that. I went out with the kids after dinner and we tracked it all the way across the sky. We all had binoculars, but it was so bright and clear we didn't really need them - although the image through the binoculars had more of a shape to it.

After that we hung around outside looking at this and that.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: John Kuraoka]
      #5704789 - 02/28/13 06:52 AM

I love it! Soon after I had taken out my gear, it dawned on me that the word must be spread. I almost forgot about it, and without the reminder email I got in time I would have been too preoccupied to remember. (Need to set alarms next time ) But no worries, for there will be many many more orbits in store for all of us up ahead!
LONG LIVE THE ISS. LONG LIVE SPACE EXPLORATION BY HUMANKIND

Get ready for the next observable opportunities ...
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Un...

http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

http://www.heavens-above.com/

smallscopefanLeo
sage

#5704794 - 02/28/13 07:01 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Meade OPT 2010 Christmas special 12x60 (same as the recent weekly special from the Meade store apparently) posing on top of my new Telegizmos 365 cover for various small scopes I have.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

#5704804 - 02/28/13 07:19 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Why yes that IS my brand-spankin' new Smart Astronomy Sterling 25mm Plossl in the focuser of my 80mm 350mm focal length chubby-baby achro-frac (and veritably, the ISS proved to be not-too-difficult to track at 14x here (lost her a couple of times but quickly regained sight!) on my AZ4 mount, and showed itself to be a delightfully colorful rainbow of an orbiter all the while ... there were a couple of seconds where I could even just make out the panels.. the rest of the time it was a swift elongated little multi-hued blob - clearly more than just a point! Like some sort of a strange sentinel-disk of sorts, watching faithfully over its beloved home planet.

(the tape residue I have yet to clean off on the scope and finder is from when I attached solar film filter cells to each, I like adding tape for extra security and peace of mind when white light solar peeking )

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5704929 - 02/28/13 09:05 AM

Cloudy and Rainy here in the Northeastern part of the U.S., in RI.

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
      #5704943 - 02/28/13 09:11 AM

Good flyover from metro Phoenix last night. Here are 20 frames out of 12,000 taken in 200 seconds. I had the exposure on the webcam set to 1/2000s to avoid image smearing, which resulted in underexposure and noise. The scope was a 10" with a 2x Barlow operating at 2800mm of focal length.

Animated GIF of ISS Pass -- 2/27/13

Tom

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5705253 - 02/28/13 12:29 PM

Cool GIF! It's been cloudy here in MA for over a week. I'm signed up with NASA for alerts when the ISS will pass over, so I'll get my chance eventually.

David Castillo
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/06

Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca
Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: Dave74]
      #5705783 - 02/28/13 05:24 PM

Of all the times I've seen it go overhead, I've only twice managed to get a reasonable focus on it as manually tracked it with my dob at a 100+ power mag. The first time I managed to catch it just after I focused on a lunar crater, and as I panned over to the ISS as it traversed, the panels were visible Perhaps I should just stop trying to capture a killer closeup again and stick with binoculars- or practice fast panning and focus on airliners as they pass in daylight.
-----
Dave

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: ISS flyover 6:20 PM SoCal and neigbouring friends new [Re: David Castillo]
      #5706696 - 03/01/13 07:12 AM

I am glad that you guys on the west coast got a good view of the ISS. Now that you're hooked on satellites you know there are a few thousand other ones up there worth watching as well.

obin

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 821

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics