Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Leo I Visually Observeable?!?! new [Re: Starman1]
      #5704351 - 02/27/13 09:48 PM

Quote:

Before my wife had LASIK surgery on her eyes, she'd take her glasses off and say, "Which one of the large blobs is the Moon?"

I don't think I'll ever do LASIK. If there's a mistake when they make my glasses, I do have the option to remove them.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ensign
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Southwestern Ontario
Re: Leo I Visually Observeable?!?! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5705701 - 02/28/13 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Before my wife had LASIK surgery on her eyes, she'd take her glasses off and say, "Which one of the large blobs is the Moon?"

I don't think I'll ever do LASIK. If there's a mistake when they make my glasses, I do have the option to remove them.

Mike

+1

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Leo I Visually Observeable?!?! new [Re: ensign]
      #5705737 - 02/28/13 04:55 PM

You might reply differently if you were essentially blind without your glasses. She was afraid that she would lose or step on her glasses during an earthquake and be incapable of functioning. The maximum distance from her nose that was in focus was 2". Now, she uses reading glasses but watches TV without glasses or contacts.
That's a significant improvement in her life.
But, for myopes who aren't more than 8 diopters off 20/20, I agree LASIK makes less sense.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Leo I Visually Observeable?!?! [Re: Starman1]
      #5705772 - 02/28/13 05:18 PM

I'm glad your wife was helped by LASIK surgery.

Yes, if my eyes had been like that, I would have opted for LASIK, also. But as my eyes are now, at about 20/200+ myopia (I have no idea what that is in diopters), one eye weaker than the other and also presbyopia so I cannot focus closer than about 18" - my blended trifocal progressives are essential to my daytime life as well as for relatively hassle-free astronomy. About the only things I can do without glasses is sleep, eat, maybe go for a walk ... you get the idea.

But given all those problems, I still have no problem using short focal length eyepieces.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1649

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics