Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
Binocular Universe: Northern Exposure
      #5706052 - 02/28/13 07:36 PM

Binocular Universe: Northern Exposure

By Phil Harrington

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PhilH
sage

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Binocular Universe: Northern Exposure new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #5719869 - 03/08/13 05:25 AM

Hi all,

I thought I'd share a report about viewing NGC 188 through binoculars that I received from Marcin, a reader in Poland:

Quote:

Hello Phil,

I quite frequently observe NGC 188 through my 10x50 under rural skies as a subtle but obvious glow framed from one side by the arc of several faint stars (8mag).

Greetings
Marcin

I wonder if any other CN members might comment on the visibility of NGC 188 through their binoculars.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Binocular Universe: Northern Exposure new [Re: PhilH]
      #5720334 - 03/08/13 11:34 AM

Hi Phil,

Todd alerted me to your request, and indeed he did remember correctly that I once posted a brief report on seeing NGC 188. Here's what I wrote in 2008 about this observation made in 2005:

Quote:

If there's one thing at which the constellation of Cepheus excells, it's rich star fields; but there's not much bright & famous to look at when it comes to DSO. So when last night proved very clear (NELM ca +5.5), I put out my Swift 20x80s on their tripod to hunt down some faint stuff.

I started out with NGC 188, an open cluster just a few degrees from Polaris. In the 20x80s I could detect something was there, a very faint glow with a scattering of extremely faint stars. If I had just been sweeping this region, I would never have noticed it. Literature shows the brightest stars are mag +12.1, so I was pretty impressed to see any at all. There's supposed to be 150 stars down to mag 18, but these are of course out of reach of my 20x80s.

A nice bonus close to NGC 188 is a beautiful double star with two clear white stars of about equal brightness. It's a fairly wide pair but really stands out nicely. Uranometria plots the 9th mag double star just under a degree south of the cluster.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: Binocular Universe: Northern Exposure new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5722577 - 03/09/13 04:19 PM

can comment on the difficulty of finding it with a scope on a GEM mount. Toughie as it is so easy to screw up when that close to the pole, but maybe it is just me. I will get Caldwell 1 someday!

PhilH
sage

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: Binocular Universe: Northern Exposure new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5751271 - 03/23/13 07:27 AM

Just a head's up, it was pointed out to me that the web version of this article is missing some text. The single line that mentions "Thuban" should read in full:

Quote:

While Polaris is currently the pole star, the 26,000-year wobble of Earth's axis, called precession, causes the Celestial Pole's aim to trace a 47 circle in the sky. For instance, during the building of the pyramids nearly 4,600 years ago, the North Pole was aimed toward the star Thuban in Draco. Fast forward 5,200 years from now and the pole will be point near Alderamin in Cepheus.

The PDF file reads correctly. I've alerted our web master for the need to fix the HTML file.

Thanks to Marcin from Poland for the head's up on this.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1711

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics