Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Dave Lee
sage

Reged: 02/14/13

Loc: Pinehurst, NC USA
Interesting G11 Mount Question
      #5706069 - 02/28/13 07:43 PM

I am trying to resurrect a 'been in the box since 1999' Celestron branded Losmandy G11 mound (and scope). In trying to find all the pieces and parts I have run into an interesting question. In the 'right box' I found 3 different 'brick plugs into the wall, 12 volts out' adapters.

Two are quite similar and are 'Condor' brand, 1000 ma., and have both UL while one has US and SA (Canada) safety marks. The other is smaller and is the 'OEM' brand, 833 ma., with a UL/SA sticker.

One of the Condors has a '12V cord that is 15 or 20 feet long, BTW. I am guessing that one of these runs an (even older) 8" Meade SCT, one the Celestron, and have no idea about the 3rd (would guess that the 'OEM' is the oddball).

I'd guess that in 99% of the cases these 'voltage convertor bricks' are nothing more than a transformer, rectifier, and filter and the specs are pretty loose and general. But there is that other 1%.

My inclination is just to pick one of the 1000 ma bricks, plug it in, and see what happens. But on the side of caution I thought I would ask if anyone has suggested cautions here.

Thanks.

dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Interesting G11 Mount Question new [Re: Dave Lee]
      #5706105 - 02/28/13 08:02 PM

As long as it is 12v DC and not *12v AC* output I suspect one of the 1000ma adaptors will work fine. My memory could be failing me here as I am not able to go and actually *look* but I think the CI-700 mount I have with 492 digital drive (what I expect your G11 has) uses a 1000ma/1a supply as well.

Dave Lee
sage

Re: Interesting G11 Mount Question new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5706125 - 02/28/13 08:19 PM

Thanks - FWIW I certainly didn't mean to imply that the output was anything except DC.

dave

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Interesting G11 Mount Question new [Re: Dave Lee]
      #5706276 - 02/28/13 09:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks - FWIW I certainly didn't mean to imply that the output was anything except DC.

You did not imply it was AC - I was just being excessively cautious.

Dave Lee
sage

Re: Interesting G11 Mount Question new [Re: Falcon-]
      #5706714 - 03/01/13 07:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You did not imply it was AC - I was just being excessively cautious.

In retrospect (and unfortunately) I have done dumber things. Buy me a drink and I'll tell you about some

dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
11 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 432

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics