Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Deep Sky Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ptarmigan
Lagopus lagopus

Reged: 09/23/04

Loc: Arctic
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5700779 - 02/25/13 11:22 PM

What colors I see based on objects.
Orion Nebula-Bluish Green
Planetary Nebula-Grayish Blue Green
Galaxy-Gray or White.

Edited by Ptarmigan (02/25/13 11:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: Patricko]
      #5701027 - 02/26/13 05:30 AM

The most vividly coloured DSO I've seen is the Homunculus Nebula surrounding Eta Carinae. It is a vivid orange in my 8" and 12" scopes. Following that, the Ghost of Jupiter presents a distinct bluish hue and several other bright high surface brightness PNe are an obvious greenish/bluish in colour. Beyond these objects though, no real colour can be seen in DSOs in amateur scopes, except for the brightest emission nebulae which might appear greenish.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5701796 - 02/26/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

The most vividly coloured DSO I've seen is the Homunculus Nebula surrounding Eta Carinae. It is a vivid orange in my 8" and 12" scopes. Following that, the Ghost of Jupiter presents a distinct bluish hue and several other bright high surface brightness PNe are an obvious greenish/bluish in colour. Beyond these objects though, no real colour can be seen in DSOs in amateur scopes, except for the brightest emission nebulae which might appear greenish.

Well, try IC 418 for a change (a definite reddish tinge on its edges is seen at low power in my 10 inch Newtonian). Up here "in the north", we also have the planetary known as "Campbell's Hydrogen Star" which also looks a reddish-orange color. In a 30 inch at the Nebraska Star Party, the core region of M31 had a faint yellowish-orange hue to it, as did some globular cluster stars in that same scope. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: leviathan]
      #5702733 - 02/26/13 11:53 PM

Quote:

I've red a lot of comments on "green" M42 starting from 8" aperture, however I couldn't see neither in 8", nor in 24". So far the only deepsky objects that are color for me - are planetary nebulas.

That's interesting as I find it the other way around. Minty grey green in M42 - subtle but regularly visible under mag 6 sky's or better in the 8 and the 10 I had. I would guess with the right exit pupil the C6 would give a glimmer too. Planetary NEB to me are more challenging your color owing probably to the lesser apparent surface area visible.

In the best moments the green in M42s central wedge appeared minty green reminiscent of breaking open a chocolate mint candy to the green inside. At its peak obviousness this color has startled me. This at 140x by the way. For the most part cursory glancing gives just monochrome grey, a little attention, that grey grey faint green - then in the spectacular instances - wow. With the 8" it could be amazing.

Pete

leviathan
sage

Reged: 11/29/11

Loc: Azerbaijan
      #5702812 - 02/27/13 01:25 AM

Of course I believe, too many amateur astronomers have reported about green M42. However it's always grey for me. Next time I will order 56mm EP and look at M42 in 24" through it, because I suspect that reason that I couldn't see green colors in that aperture was magnification of 230x at f/12.5 with 33mm EP. Perhaps larger exit pupil will help.

As for the planetary nebulas, central part of M57 was obviously green for me and my friend in my 8" SCT, however I haven't informed him that it's green. Another color planetary for me was beautiful NGC 2438 in open cluster M46. I think that Cat's Eye will also be colored for me, will need to check this. My explanation to colors in planetary nebulas is their compact size.

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5702891 - 02/27/13 04:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, try IC 418 for a change (a definite reddish tinge on its edges is seen at low power in my 10 inch Newtonian). Up here "in the north", we also have the planetary known as "Campbell's Hydrogen Star" which also looks a reddish-orange color. In a 30 inch at the Nebraska Star Party, the core region of M31 had a faint yellowish-orange hue to it, as did some globular cluster stars in that same scope. Clear skies to you.

IC 418 has always been whitish to me, never succeeded in seeing the red in my 12. This is from my suburban backyard though so maybe I'd have a better chance from a dark sky location.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5703259 - 02/27/13 10:54 AM

Pete,

Quote:

I get that we use skotopic vision in deepsky visual observing for the most part and that our retina/brain in low light is part of the reason we see blue, green and greys. Is it ever possible though to have aperture large enough m42 or even the horse head vividly shows those deep crimsons and such. I've seen top artists produce deepsky drawings through huge observatory aperture but always shades of grey. The upshot of it all is, how big a mirror do you need to finally collect enough light to equal the CCD and photo images?

I'd say forget about it for the Horsehead. But I've seen light-red tinges in M42, M27 and M57 in my 10" f/4.8 at a yellow zone site. Contrast effect or real color from the object? I'd say real color.

One of the most colorful views of M27 and M57 I ever had was a couple years ago at my dark site. Another "observer" was doing AP. He invited us to come over and look at M57. I thought he meant through his eyepiece. No sir. He meant on his laptop connected to his telescope. He had all kinds of white light glaring out from that screen. Our eyes were promptly blasted back to photopic.

APers. Eh...

Now when we walked back to my 10" Dob to see the same objects, I could see those same reddish fringes just as in the APer's image. My wife and daughter also saw these colors. I don't suggest that we shock our eyes with white light at a dark site to see colors in bright nebulae. I'm just saying that I've seen it for myself.

I've seen plenty of bright greens and blues in the brighter planetary nebulae in my 10". M42 and the bright BN's in Sagittarius and elsewhere appear green to me. Only the dimmer nebulae look gray or white.

I'm not surprised that the reflection nebulae in M45 would have a slight tinge of light-blue. That's how I've seen them. After all, they are reflecting light from white-blue colored stars.

Mike

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5703424 - 02/27/13 12:26 PM

Leviathan,
Seeing color in M57, but not in M42 surprises me. M42 has both much higher surface brightness and larger size, factors which really help in color detection.

Because the color receptors must be stimulated, this is photopic vision light levels, and hence one need not be dark adapted to see color in extended objects. All that matters is that the surface brightness be at least as high as about 19 magnitudes per square arcsecond.

Any nebula in which I've seen color presented this to me immediately upon stepping out from a well lit indoors or after exposure to bright light. If color is not evident then, it will not be even after good dark adaption. Actually, prolongation of deep darkness is counterproductive, for colors become de-saturated after a time. A dose of white light for a spell (not just a brief flash) 'resets' my color sensitivity.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5703451 - 02/27/13 12:40 PM

Glenn,

Quote:

Any nebula in which I've seen color presented this to me immediately upon stepping out from a well lit indoors or after exposure to bright light. If color is not evident then, it will not be even after good dark adaption. Actually, prolongation of deep darkness is counterproductive, for colors become de-saturated after a time. A dose of white light for a spell (not just a brief flash) 'resets' my color sensitivity.

Exactly. IME, a few seconds of white light up to half-a-minute is sufficient. But this is not a good trick to play at a dark site - unless you're the only one at the dark site! And even then I wouldn't do it on purpose. I'd rather focus on the faint fuzzies and dimmer nebulae, the ones I can't see at home.

Mike

leviathan
sage

#5703589 - 02/27/13 02:12 PM

Quote:

Leviathan,
Seeing color in M57, but not in M42 surprises me. M42 has both much higher surface brightness and larger size, factors which really help in color detection.

Because the color receptors must be stimulated, this is photopic vision light levels, and hence one need not be dark adapted to see color in extended objects. All that matters is that the surface brightness be at least as high as about 19 magnitudes per square arcsecond.

In both cases (M57 and NGC 2438) I could see green color after at least 20 min of adaption in grey zone.

Like I said, I think the key (at least for me) is compact size with low surface brightness.

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

#5704121 - 02/27/13 07:46 PM

If a small size and lower surface brightness were to improve color perception, then smaller apertures would be better than larger.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
Re: How much aperture for technicolor? new [Re: Patricko]
      #5704435 - 02/27/13 10:29 PM

I have seen green, blue and a faint hint of salmon in M41 in my 15" using a 34mm 2inch ES.The blue snowball planetary was definitely blue. Other than that, grays and greens.

leviathan
sage

#5704653 - 02/28/13 01:37 AM

Quote:

If a small size and lower surface brightness were to improve color perception, then smaller apertures would be better than larger.

Well, larger aperture gathers more light without loss of brightness at high magnification. At the same exit pupil larger aperture will give higher magnification.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5705895 - 02/28/13 06:13 PM

And with that larger image scale can be a whopping difference in detail detected . I've never found small and faint desirable for the most detailed views. Even when its enlarged and dimmer I see more. Jus throwing it out there.

Pete

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

#5705968 - 02/28/13 06:52 PM

Leviathan,
Ahhh, I must have misinterpreted. You wrote "compact size with low surface brightness", which I thought to mean "compact size and low surface brightness", where I now see you meant as "compact size when surface brightness is low". Meaning, of course, a lower magnification so as to obtain a larger exit pupil and hence brighter image.

leviathan
sage

Re: How much aperture for technicolor? [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5706535 - 03/01/13 02:07 AM

Quote:

Leviathan,
Ahhh, I must have misinterpreted. You wrote "compact size with low surface brightness", which I thought to mean "compact size and low surface brightness", where I now see you meant as "compact size when surface brightness is low". Meaning, of course, a lower magnification so as to obtain a larger exit pupil and hence brighter image.

Yeap. Sorry for my english )

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, Phillip Creed, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2126

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics