Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Starman27Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/29/06

Loc: Illinois, Iowa
Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5711481 - 03/03/13 09:03 PM

I checked my post. I didn't see a reference to a second plate. I have never seen an advanced wedge. But, I do have two different super wedges. One in Iowa and one in Illinois. The differences in the newer one seem to be in the basic mechanics, smoothness of operation etc., but I can't do a side by side comparison. Tomorrow I'll go out and look at the one I have here in Illinois.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: Starman27]
      #5711523 - 03/03/13 09:32 PM

Herman that was my mistake, it was Rick that mentioned the "double-thick mounting plate". For some reason I thought it was you and when I saw the photo of your setup I was looking to see what was different and found nothing. I will go back through other threads looking for a photo of Rick's setup to make that comparison.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: Starman27]
      #5711531 - 03/03/13 09:34 PM

I don't remember what they called the beefed-up 14" wedge version, but both versions were later replaced by the Ultrawedge (beefed up even more, to handle the heavier RCX400 models). I stuck with my old Superwedge for the 12" RCX also with no issues.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #5711532 - 03/03/13 09:36 PM

Quote:

Herman that was my mistake, it was Rick that mentioned the "double-thick mounting plate".

He's right, though. That was the difference between the Superwedge and the 14" wedge version. I looked at one at the time but decided to stick with what I had.

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5711660 - 03/03/13 10:36 PM

Since you were able to use your 14" on a superwedge, I guess I will quit worrying about using it with my 8", even with my bad luck!!!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5711663 - 03/03/13 10:38 PM

Quote:

There definitely was a beefed-up wedge version for the 14"; I think they called it a Hyperwedge or something like that. I didn't worry about it and used my 14" on my standard Superwedge without problems.

I owned the 7", 10", 12" and 14" versions and am not aware of ANY electronic or mechanical mount differences beyond the various fork arm lengths/spacers for each model and the extra metal they added to the 14" drive base. The 16" drive base is completely different and I suspect that has caused some confusion.

John,
When I got my 14" SW, it was just listed as the 14" version, no special name. AFAIK, other than the double-thick mounting plate, it's the same wedge. I seem to recall that there was some issue with slewing to some extreme positions, or something like that, that supposedly made the modification necessary.

The "more complex" stuff was per Pete Peterson. I know you hang out, or used to, on the LX200_14 Yahoo group; that's where I saw it. I figured that since he'd been inside it to make that Buck's Gears kit, he'd know. Do you think he was exaggerating?

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5711826 - 03/04/13 12:57 AM

Quote:

The "more complex" stuff was per Pete Peterson. I know you hang out, or used to, on the LX200_14 Yahoo group; that's where I saw it. I figured that since he'd been inside it to make that Buck's Gears kit, he'd know. Do you think he was exaggerating?

That prompted me to go take a look...

Photos on this page do show two different drives. Whether the 'big scope' drive is better or just different isn't clear to me.

http://www.petersonengineering.com/sky/gears&tuneup.htm

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Meade 14" LX200gps fork mount ??? new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5712459 - 03/04/13 12:46 PM

As an aside, I got the Buck's Gears upgrade, and installed the dec gears. I never did the RA gears (someday maybe); but the dec arm now has no slop whatsoever, whereas the RA drive still has a small amount of backlash; but not enough to warrant the upgrade just yet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1862

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics