Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5707223 - 03/01/13 01:48 PM

You could order an o-ring from McMaster-Carr...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
      #5707241 - 03/01/13 02:03 PM

Mark- I wanted to do just that. After talking with Mike from Astronomics he informed me that it was possible that the lens could get damaged in shipping since the o-ring is not perfectly in place. I have a feeling that it will be out of collimation and I will need to send it to them to be fixed.

Johnny- Yeah I could order an o-ring from there, but I'd feel better having the actual o-ring from the factory for the lens.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5707276 - 03/01/13 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah from what I know my 130SS is the first to do this. If collimation is affected, I'll send to Astronomics to fix. I've attempted to collimate a triplet before and did not succeed. I figure it's better to let the experts handle it.

Hi Ed and Zach. Zach, why not just send your TMS130SS to Astronomics and have them put in the O-ring and make sure it's collimated?

Ed, thanks for saying that about your combo of the TMS130SS and C8HD. How do you use the apo and C8HD? I'm considering a C8HD as an EVENTUAL companion for my 5" achro. A C9.25 (HD or no) is also on that short list (so is a 8-10" Dob of sufficient focal length).

Best,

I'm visual only (no time for the AP stuff). Sometimes it's a matter of what is easier to take with me and/or haul out. The C8HD in the case is smaller and lighter than the TMB and is really more grab and go. Both are outstanding but for wider fields the TMB obviously wins. I really like SCTs and my C11HD is a favorite, but it's a beast (especially after several shoulder and elbow surgeries). I'm not sure if I have an absolute favorite in my primary scopes right now since I really like all of them. But I love the C8HD for its power and portability. Maybe one of the most important things about the C8HD (or standard C8) is its value per square inch of apature. It really can't be beat in that category.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: EFT]
      #5707542 - 03/01/13 05:41 PM

Ed-Thanks for that info!

I have another question which concerns cool down times. What would be the best way to let the Edge cool down? Place it outside with the front cover on and visual back plugged or have the cover off and the visual back open? I would assume I'm looking at a couple hours to cool down going from inside temp. of 68 F to outside temp of 35-40 F.

Thanks!

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5707677 - 03/01/13 07:30 PM

Quote:

Ed-Thanks for that info!

I have another question which concerns cool down times. What would be the best way to let the Edge cool down? Place it outside with the front cover on and visual back plugged or have the cover off and the visual back open? I would assume I'm looking at a couple hours to cool down going from inside temp. of 68 F to outside temp of 35-40 F.

Thanks!

Because of the optics that are located inside the baffle tube, leaving it unsealed won't help. With the EdgeHD without using any form of active cooling, the best thing to do is to leave it outside for as long as possible before going out to view. Glass doesn't really transmit heat very well so you may as well leave the corrector cover on as well. To speed things up, you could open up the Fastar hole and leave the corrector cover off, but this may allow dust, etc. to get inside the tube. Other than that, you have to go to active cooling through the vents, the Fastar hole or both. Then you can cut the cooling times way down e.g., if you were normally looking at 2 hours, then you would probably down to 1/2 hour or less). Basically, you become limited by the primary's ability to shed heat rather than the air's ability to tranfer heat.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD [Re: EFT]
      #5708004 - 03/02/13 12:07 AM

Thanks for the info Ed, I appreciate it. Looks like I might have to buy an active cooling system then.

zjc26138
Loved By All

#5709299 - 03/02/13 06:26 PM

Well I ordered a dew shield today. The one I made wasn't going to work. All that's left to get is an OAG and maybe an active cooling system.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5709416 - 03/02/13 07:31 PM

Quote:

Well I ordered a dew shield today. The one I made wasn't going to work.

Why is that Zach?

Steve

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
      #5709434 - 03/02/13 07:42 PM

Quote:

I'm sure it will be an interesting comparison between the TMB and the Edge.

I cant speak for the C8 Edge, but I do have a standard C8 and a TMB130.
On globular clusters and fainer galaxies the C8 is better as would be expected from the larger aperture.
Wide field for large open cluster, M31, N, American nebula etc the TMB provides stunning flat field views.
On the planets I'd say it's a toss up.
The TMB is crisper but the extra aperture of the C8 helps show similar amounts of details in the Jovian cloud belts.
Not a big surprise.

Steve

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: It's Here!: 8'' Edge HD new [Re: stevew]
      #5709508 - 03/02/13 08:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well I ordered a dew shield today. The one I made wasn't going to work.

Why is that Zach?

Steve

I bought some construction paper,fiddled around with making the dew shield, then realized I should probably just buy one. Though I might go back and make one anyhow.

I suspect my views with the Edge will be similar to what you saw when comparing your SCT to the TMB.

Since the TMB is out of service at the moment,the Edge will get plenty of time to prove its worth in both deep sky and planets. I'm really excited to look Saturn through the Edgge

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3288

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics