Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Hesiod
sage

Reged: 01/13/13

"Visual" Astrotrac
      #5712032 - 03/04/13 07:56 AM

This is my first discussion, so I feel right greet everyone and make apology for my poor knoweledge of English grammar and ortography .

Done with captatio, now the quaestio..

I own an Astrotrac (with polar wedge and a photgraphic ball head)and I am wondering if, with its Dec unit, it could be enjoyable (only for visual purpose of course) with my C8.
I can not try it myself because I do not own an adapter Vixen-> photo standard, so I ask you if anyone has already tried it (or whit a similar scope)
Thank you for every suggestion

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
paul
sage

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: pa
Re: "Visual" Astrotrac new [Re: Hesiod]
      #5727335 - 03/12/13 02:10 AM

Hello,
I think the C8 is alittle too much weight for the astrotrac
Good luck!!

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: "Visual" Astrotrac new [Re: paul]
      #5727367 - 03/12/13 02:41 AM

If the Dec unit you mentioned is AstroTrac's TH3010 head, the main issue is the lack of good fine control; slo-motion might help, but with the stock TH3010, it can be difficult pointing to exactly where you want it to with a big scope; the locking knobs on both axis can be awkward to use at times as well.

Hesiod
sage

Re: "Visual" Astrotrac new [Re: core]
      #5727587 - 03/12/13 07:59 AM

Thank for your advices.

@ core Yes, it is.

I think I could obtain greater stiffness using TH3010 instead some small AZ head (like the german-made "Giro") due to its multiple fixing point (vs the 3/8" only), and the "visual astrotrac thing" is in fact a mere palliation (sometimes on holydays I do not have the room for 2 full mounts in my car. Or at least, no room wife-wise...).

If it is not too O.T., may I ask you which is the biggest telescope fully exploitable(APO refractor or Cass-based catadioptric only) could I load on the Astrotrac?

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
      #5727731 - 03/12/13 09:45 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

I have my Travel System setup with a modest load (as pictured below), Tak FC-60C with Borg reducer and piggy-back wide field; I'm still working on the setup to get the most out of it - mount, optics, capture and processing - main issue still imo is the polar alignment routine. I do have a C6 and C8 OTA, I might just give it a try one of these days (for video astronomy).

Hesiod
sage

Re: "Visual" Astrotrac new [Re: core]
      #5730875 - 03/13/13 06:39 PM

Nice setup!
The polar scope is indeed the main weakness, rather "crude" and willing to crash down exactly at the worst time.

Hesiod
sage

#5757588 - 03/26/13 07:16 AM

Yesterday I have tried my C8 with the Astrotrac (but I have a Berlebach phot-tripod instead of its pillar).
The "mount" can manage the fat SCT but need more counterweights of those avaible to me for a proper AR balance (if the weather improves I will try with some iron disks). I tried it only on some pidgeons (very bad weather here): the damping of vibrations was quite good (at low power of course, i.e. 100x ca) using the maximum spread angle of my tripod, while targeting was indeed difficult (but as i said I could not obtain a proper balance)

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 702

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics