Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: LX850 Poll new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5779976 - 04/05/13 03:56 PM

I love those new tubes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5779979 - 04/05/13 03:58 PM

Michael,

What a great looking setup! Look forward to your results.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5780343 - 04/05/13 07:00 PM

Congrats; look forward to your reviews. Regards

DrOxygen

Reged: 12/30/10

Loc: New Jersey
Re: LX850 Poll new [Re: mmalik]
      #5781313 - 04/06/13 08:56 AM

Good things come to those who wait. Congrats on the new setup. Looks fabulous!

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5781782 - 04/06/13 12:36 PM

Looks like a lot of stuff on a little mount. How is it handling?

-Rich

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: LX850 Poll new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5781828 - 04/06/13 12:54 PM

Quote:

Looks like a lot of stuff on a little mount. How is it handling?

-Rich

I am concerned about it as well. I haven't been outside with it yet to test. Tony has pretty much the same setup as far as weight goes and hasn't had any issues that I know of. He is out this weekend so hopefully he will have something to say about it when he gets back next week. Clouds and high winds here in my area through the middle of next week so for now I am just testing software. Keep in mind that the weight capacity of the mount is 90lbs of instrument weight. The OTA bare is listed on Meade's site at 63 pounds. My bathroom scale showed 57.5 pounds. Then add on the refractor, finder, starlock, and cameras and we are pushing it. My side by side configuration isn't going to be used when I am solely imaging on the 14". Typically I'll do this when I am online broadcasting so I can show a widefield and narrow field view. I'll remove everything except Starlock when I get serious about long exposures with the 14. At least that's the plan. We'll see what is necessary and what isn't. Jason didn't seem to have issues with the 14" but he didn't overload it either. Glen also did just fine. We'll see later in the week.

Edit/Update: As I feared the three supplied counterweights are not enough with all these things on the mount. I just added my two cameras. While the DSLR and .8x flattener/reducer doesn't add much weight, the QSI camera does! I took off the plastic end cap and threaded the three weights as far as I felt I could and it is still OTA heavy. by a few pounds. Going by Tony's example I am hopeful that the stainless cap will in fact balance it.

Edit#2: I am also not using the Meade electric focuser. I may end up doing that but I'll probably go third party on it and keep the Meade focuser NIB.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (04/06/13 03:00 PM)

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5782030 - 04/06/13 02:58 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Canon T1i, Astrotech .8x flat/reducer, Qsi 683, Baader Quicklock.

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
      #5782083 - 04/06/13 03:51 PM

I am using three large and one of the smaller (22 lb?) weight and I dont have the weight of the extra refracted you do. The prototype mount I had saw a slight increase in PE with that much weight. The production mount seems unaffected. 7-8" raw.

Btw the latest version of starlock training PE soon to be released is as good as pempro if you do a train and a couple updates. Gets mine to 2" pp

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX850 Poll new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5782119 - 04/06/13 04:10 PM

Quote:

I am using three large and one of the smaller (22 lb?) weight and I dont have the weight of the extra refracted you do. The prototype mount I had saw a slight increase in PE with that much weight. The production mount seems unaffected. 7-8" raw.

Btw the latest version of starlock training PE soon to be released is as good as pempro if you do a train and a couple updates. Gets mine to 2" pp

Since I am no longer a beta tester I of course do not have access to that update. I look forward to its release.

If I may ask, why do you need 3x26lb + 1 22 pound? That seems like quite a bit. Is your imaging setup that heavy? I think I am close. I may need 5 or 6 more pounds to be balanced.

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
      #5782219 - 04/06/13 05:15 PM

Focuser filter wheel and apogee camera. 3 almost gets it but not quite

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: LX850 Poll new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5782488 - 04/06/13 07:35 PM

Quote:

Focuser filter wheel and apogee camera. 3 almost gets it but not quite

That is my feeling as well. 3 is close by no cigar. I'll re-evaluate my needs once the cap gets here. Again I don't plan to do any serious imaging with all of this on there. I will only shotgun he refractor when I am doing show and tell .

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: LX850 Poll new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5783115 - 04/07/13 04:48 AM

Quote:

Looks like a lot of stuff on a little mount.

Here... is Whichway's 12" setup; I felt the same at that time. I do feel this Mach1 style base makes things look quite disproportional. Let's see how it performs. Thx

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: LX850 Poll new [Re: mmalik]
      #5783655 - 04/07/13 12:01 PM

Well, the thing is, the Mach 1, whose design this is pretty obviously derived from, is rated at about half the capacity listed for the LX 850. And there's a reason why we've gotten used to seeing a certain size envelope in relation to mount size. Time will tell, I suppose. There definitely appears to be progress in the drive.

The price point is a barrier since it is so close to the Mach 1, and that seems to be what caused the ambitious capacity estimate, since it was conclusively shown there was no data to support that rating when it originally shipped. Where I'm coming from is that may end up being the root of needless problems. I see all these pictures of mounts dwarfed by their payloads and it looks like it may be trouble, and it's the mount which will get blamed.

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8045

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics