Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: John Kuraoka]
      #5720617 - 03/08/13 02:04 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

YEah, those are the stock tripods. The other diff you might notice is, most aluminum telescope tripods are built like suveyor tripods with a spreader to make it more solid, unlike a photo tripod, which has other features that a telescope doesn't need.

Tony's right, though. You'll end up with more than one.

Here's my 055 and 701HDV head. I use this a lot for photo work and for my C90 and the ST80.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5720719 - 03/08/13 03:10 PM

OK, done! I pulled the trigger on that demo Porta II mount - thanks everyone for your help!

Using nikdangr's measurements (roughly 10x8x10"), the Porta II should take up a little less room than my Orion's stock particle-board mount (about 8x8x12" but with more bulk). The retracted tripod at 29" is just an inch longer than my 3221, and probably a good bit wider.

According to my scale, my stock particle board mount weighs 2.5 pounds and the 3221 legs weigh 5.5, for 8 pounds total. The Porta II mount and tripod weigh nearly twice that, so the whole thing should be a lot more stable in exchange for taking up a bit more space in the trunk.

Ken, I'll probably get that Dwarf Star next, as something even more packable in combination with the 3221, when I get the ST-80 (which might really be the better system for camping anyway).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2035

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics