Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
Graytalon

Reged: 02/05/13

New ETX owner...not new ETX
      #5712402 - 03/04/13 12:15 PM

Greetings all,
I recently posted a similar post in the Beginner forum when I really should have posted here. I bought a ETX 90 this weekend and was able to set it up last night and check the optics out. I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. With the 26mm ep I was able to make out 3 or 4 bands on Jupiter. And I checked out M42, just for good measure. I was hoping for more from that, to be honest.

Anyway as I live in a very light polluted area I was going try out aligning the Autostar and see what I could see. First star was Sirius, which was cake, but when the second star was Capella, well not cake so much. First off I couldnít find it in the ep and the spotting scope was buried. Not only that but I then got a Motor failure. But I think motor fail is because I have batteries in there from 2011. That was the last time it was used.
Needless to say I was a bit put out, but it was a cheap scope, so I am not really concerned. The view of Jupiter alone is worth it. My questions are as follows:

1. Did the cold have anything to do with the motor fail? I plan on replacing the batteries tonight and trying it again, skies permitting.
2. The scope didnít come with a dust cover. The previous owner didnít know where it was, but was going to look for it. Thereís some light dust or some smudges on the front lens (I will get the proper terms down later. I am at work right now and typing under cover) and you canít see it without shining a flashlight at the lens. But do I need to clean the lens with a solution? It was sitting in a garage for over a year.
3. Ok, trying to adjust the focus when the scope is anywhere close to 90 degrees is impossible. Is there a simple fix?
4. I found the Weasnerís ETX site. Is there any other site I should be looking for to help me in using this scope? Remember, itís been 20 years since I did any serious stargazing.

I am sure there are other questions and I can probably find those if I look for them, but any input from the community at large would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: New ETX owner...not new ETX new [Re: Graytalon]
      #5712467 - 03/04/13 12:54 PM

Poke around on Weasner's site, lots of helpful tips.

Focusing at Zenith is difficult, try and get a good star in focus first before you go straight up and hopefully it stays in focus.

Don't mess to much with that front corrector plate, a few dust spots won't hurt it. Use a soft brush and a micro cleaning fiber cloth.

You probably need two other EP's to start. A 32mm Plosll for low power wider views and a 12-15mm EP for closer views. Let the scope cool off for 30-60 min. before you start to observe.

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Bob

Dave97402

Reged: 12/16/11

Loc: Eugene, Or
Re: New ETX owner...not new ETX new [Re: REC]
      #5717021 - 03/06/13 06:33 PM

If the batteries were older, yeah, probably why you got the error. Cold saps them pretty good too.

Unless the dust is real heavy, I wouldn't mess with it other than blowing off with a camera brush/bulb type of thing.

Otherwise read up a lot on cleaning lenses.

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: New ETX owner...not new ETX new [Re: Dave97402]
      #5717594 - 03/07/13 12:53 AM

1. Did the cold have anything to do with the motor fail? I plan on replacing the batteries tonight and trying it again, skies permitting. Ans: Yes, the cold saps the battery life quite quickly. Personally, I use a Diehard Platinum battery charger that accepts both AC and Dc plugs. I use it on my ETX-80 and Celestron 8 SE. You can find cheaper portable power supplies.
2. The scope didnít come with a dust cover. The previous owner didnít know where it was, but was going to look for it. Thereís some light dust or some smudges on the front lens... Ans: STOP. don't do anything...please use acompressed air can first. Then if it still needs cleaning...as Dave mentioned, read up...you can easily damage your lense.
3. Ok, trying to adjust the focus when the scope is anywhere close to 90 degrees is impossible. Is there a simple fix? not sure about that one...
4. I found the Weasnerís ETX site. Is there any other site I should be looking for to help me in using this scope? Remember, itís been 20 years since I did any serious stargazing. Ans: The Weasner's site is about the best. You can also browse the other forums on CN. There are some really inspirational folks that have done some rather awesome things with their small ETX scopes.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 758

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics